April 17, 2014 | 1030 users online

Lotions/ Creams - U-Lactin Therapeutic Body Lotion

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by DLYNN

Allerderm, maker of the body lotion U-Lactin, is my go-to choice for skin problems that failed to respond to anything else. Although U-Lactin is typically found only at pharmacy counters (or by order), it is not a prescription and does not cost quite as much as its direct competitors (about $14 per bottle vs. $20+).

I have to rave about this product because U-Lactin is the only lotion that has helped with my spouse's severely cracked fingertips which remained cracked year-around, year on end, until my sister turned us on to this product. U-Lactin is also the only body lotion that helps, in my experience, with keratosis pilaris (goose pimple flesh). U-Lactin has even given the skin on my heels and feet a sandal-ready look and feel year around! (Before I began using this lotion, I relied on harsh exfoliating foot scrubs and apple cider vinegar foot soaks to get the skin on my feet to look its best.)

A year or two before I became aware of U-Lactin, a pharmacist suggested Amalactin for my spouse's perpetually chapped and cracked fingertips. In fact, Amalactin is more readily available in stores and probably would have accomplished the goal if we ever got that far. Unfortunately, not only is Amalactin pricey, for a lotion, but it was not tolerable to either of us due to the high ammonia content. (Ironically, we found it burns particularly dry or sensitive skin!) In comparing the two, U-Lactin is the as-effective, gentler alternative. Its active ingredients 2 percent lactic acid, 10 percent urea lower its pH, which helps attract and hold moisture within the skin, sans the irritation of harsher, exfoliating ingredients. U-Lactin, similarly, does not have an overtly obvious, stingy ammonia odor nor any added fragrance whatsoever. It is also lanolin free.

Speaking of ingredients this lotion is free of, this product is also free of Dimethicone (silicone). This, too, is important to me because I was diagnosed via a patch test as sensitive/allergic to Dimethicone a couple of years ago by a dermatologist. Unfortunately, Dimethicone is generally impossible to avoid because it's literally in every ingredient list I've laid eyes upon pertaining to lotions, creams and cosmetics. This product is one of the rare exceptions to the rule (short of using pure oil or vaseline for my skin-conditioning needs). Having said that, the only ingredients I can fault in this product are the ubiquitous and controversial paraben preservatives. (Some people have suggested a link between parabens and breast cancer, for instance.) Still, this product is vastly better than the average for me, and I will continue using it.

The secret is out, ladies U-Lactin Therapeutic Body Lotion!

Ingredients:

Purified water, urea, mineral oil, petrolatum, triethanolamine, lactic acid, cetyl alcohol, proplyne glycol stearate, sorbitan stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylparaben, propylparaben.

UPC:

Phoenix, AZ 85008-7899

Phone: (800) 365-6868
Fax: (800) 926-4568
E-mail: info@DrRecommended.com

Final note: The above-review is an entirely unsolicited endorsement from a happy, long-time customer!

FEB 2013 UPDATE:

For those of you who wish to order the product through your local pharmacy, the manufacturer has updated the packaging and given the labeling an attractive face lift. Allerderm is no longer prominently displayed on the label, otherwise it's the same address and same distributor, an outfit called SmartPractice. The part number is #AL25416 and the new UPC is as follows: 8 54634 25416 8.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No