November 21, 2014 | 1793 users online

Eye Shadow - Bobbi Brown - Black pearl eyeshadow palette

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The Black Pearl palette was launched as part of BB's Holiday 2012 collection, and it is marked as Limited Edition. It is available in the stores and on bobbibrown.com at the time of this review in mid-February 2013. This palette is a wonderful assortment of shades for my cooler toned skin - I am NW15 for reference. Although I suppose that many skin tones could easily wear these colors I am especially happy with them being on the cooler side. I like the fact that this palette contains six shadows of different textures, mattes as well as metallic and sparkle shadows. Pigmentation is sheer to intense, the high quality of the powders is what I expect from BB. The white matte shadow is my favorite base to even out my lids thus creating a good canvas. The lilac and the two greys - Oyster and Grey Denim - are good options for daytime looks. I pair them with the Black Pearl matte shadow as a liner which I apply close to the lash line or the BB Gel Liner in Granite (a dark grey). The Black Velvet Sparkle shadow is a repromote of the Limited Edition from Fall 2010 and clearly the star of this palette. With Black Velvet I can create a dramatic, beautiful smoky eye for evenings. The fallout is minimal when the shadow is patted on with a flat brush - as opposed to being swiped on with a fluffy brush which results in fallout. The secret in making the sparkle shadows work beautifully is truly in the application and using the appropriate tool.
Packaging - The palette packaging is very sleek and sturdy which makes it a good travel companion. A dual ended shadow/liner brush is included. Please see the stock photo I uploaded for reference.
Overall: Very happy with this palette and I would repurchase.
Price: $47.50

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by stephcotton1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

**UPDATE**
I have applied the eye shadow the way the other reviewer suggested, and pat on and I still get horrible fall out. It was such a waste of money. I never bought any other bobbi brown eye shadow based on my experience with this palette. Disappointing.

**ORIGINAL POST**
I bought this on sale just after Christmas and I hated it. If Australian department stores accepted returns on cosmetics then it would have gone back for sure. A shame really because in the pan I love most of the colours, they look so fun.
The white shade is not horrible but not amazing, I have used it as a base but it is so sheer you can hardly tell (I guess thats the point?!?) The light purple requires a LOT of layering and the fall out is pretty bad. I don't like wearing glitter on my cheeks. The dark purple one is the worst. There is so much fall out, it's crazy. The other three are so-so. The black is good for a liner but to be honest I don't need anger liner.
So i had given up on this and relegated it to the back of the draw. But then I watched a BB tutorial on YouTube and Bobbi says her shadows can be used dry or damp. I knew this of her shadows but it never occurred to me to try it with this. Anyway pleased to say the fall out has definitely reduced and what is there is wet so wipes away easily � doesn�t leave you with so much glitter all over your face. I still don�t love this but now I know how to get more out of it.
I doubt I will buy any more BB pallets but I will be trying the cream shadows. They look ah-maze!