April 20, 2014 | 928 users online

Liquid - FLOWER Beauty - About Face Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Z67

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

This is starting to become my new favorite Holy Grail foundation, without a doubt. The color suits me PERFECTLY which was surprising, since the lightest one in the line is somewhat of a light yellow undertone. You know me. I'm a PINK undertone person becuase it flatters me better, but I know not all compaines do that, which is a shame. But I'm rethinking how my skintone and foundation should look on my face, and this was something I was waiting to try after I finished up my MUFE Mat Velvet +, which is fine, but I dislike matte foundations now unless its for a special event. In the summer, it's too dry on my face, so I needed something lighter, more dewy, more glowy. This is it. I look fresh and dewy, and I know some people say this is a greasy/oily foundation, but it's not entirely oily where it seperates, etc it just has a water like consistency. I believe it is meant for drier skin, and if you have oily skin it may or may not work for you. I suggest trying it out first. I use a sponge/BB or a buffing brush (the RT one) and it looks flawless. I don't use setting powder with this one, becuase it makes me drier but using a finishing spray like the NYX dewy one sets it all day and doesn't make it melt or fade off my face. You can build it up but it's light to medium so for redness/problem areas, use a concealer. As for breaking me out it has done none of that and I've had it for 4 weeks now. Healthy looking skin with this one and I plan to repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by misspurse1st

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think that this product is greasy and hard to work with. No coverage and my face has totally broken out!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try this for a long time. There was hype. Early reviews loved it, actual yellow undertones, dewy finish, includes a primer, Vitamin C&E, fragrance free, and has a pump! Flower Beauty's "thing" is to have high tech formulas at cheap prices, via Drew Barrymore doing celebrity advertising for them (for free) and their deal with Walmart to distribute it.

PROS: I have LF2 and it has zero pink undertones (compare it to True Match and you'll see why TM is a joke when it comes to warm and neutral - way too much pink). It also doesn't seem to oxidize much. I usually have a problem with that so that's good. The pump can be easily removed as well and it functions as another way to get product out - essentially you have 3 ways.

CONS: Light coverage. Acne, scars, discolaration, it will NOT cover it up. I know some "build" foundation up, but I've never been a fan of that. Stuff always creases on me and it looks more natural when I use a smaller amount. Plus it dries faster. It would be easier to just use something else with higher coverage. Anyways, the foundation looks good when I first start blending it, but after that's done it's obvious that this is a light coverage foundation, not to medium at all. In nice light, it looks good, but come on, good lighting > good makeup. In daylight nothing really hides. I remember Fit Me (the liquid one) having more coverage than this! Also, the pump on my product is bent and dispenses inconsistently.

OTHER: Shade LF2 is pale and quite yellow. It matches my face, but my face is slightly darker than my neck, so I like to lighten it up a bit (I also do this to offset any oxidation that may occur later). My neck is just so pale. This is such light coverage that it can't do that. Sometimes it looks nearly perfect right after I apply it though. If in doubt, go for LF1. Texture is thick, but not too thick. I use my fingers and it blends ok (I don't like using brushes, so no comment there). The finish is definitely on the dewy side. When first applied, it's most noticable, but besides that I think the finish doesn't have much of an impact. It can be easily powdered matte, when my skin is drier, it looks drier, and when it's more moist, it looks more moist. I don't know about the primer properties but it holds up ok for me.

OVERALL: This is a "already have good skin" foundation. Low amount of flattering coverage which I think would work on most people, but I want more coverage and dewier. I'm also dealing with some rather persistent acne and red spots (two areas that refuse to go away). I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but it doesn't cover it up well. I said no to buying again, but it wasn't horrible so it will probably be a backup option (in LF1, not LF2 though). Their BB Cream, while only availble in 4 shades, is supposed to be really high coverage however.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2014 11:41:00 AM More reviews by valindafiddle

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have spent hundreds of dollars on foundations-enough to buy a small car---high end, low end, no end. The problem was both color and textural, and I have a serious sensitivity to paraben loaded make-up. They actually caused me to have gyn problems. I have extremely light to porcelain skinned and foundations would either be too dark, muddy, or too light and sheer pasty. Then, I might come close to a workable foundation but I was getting older and the stuff would 'glove' as the day wore on (dry to pinchy, wrinkly look). I was so tired of the whole thing. I am day and night active with the public and maybe over conscientious of my looks but this was a constant burden. I just wanted to look healthy, bright, and have flattering colorization like I see with others in their make-up palette.
I had seen Flower at Walmart but just shrugged. However, late one night I decided to read the reviews and found it was paraben free and had very good colorization for pale skins and thrilled it was yellow based. I drove to Walmart early in the morning and bought the lightest F1. I ultimately mixed it with a thin film of F4 for my primer as it is the yellowest in the line. I got the ah-hah buzz AND---importantly----now the delicious $2 each chemical free mineral pots I get from eBay (cheeks, lips, eyes) look absolutely fabulous. I could not get this effect with other foundations. I am absolutely thrilled. I've had no allergic reactions, it stays on all day, and the vibrancy maintains. The texture beats any high end stuff I ever tried. I would say it is best for combination to dry/very dry skin as others have said, and don't know the effect on darker skins. But it is the ultimate color corrector and vibrancy base for pale/light/medium skin tones in the combination to dry/very dry, combination skin group. My dark circles correct easily now and a friend I had not seen in a long time gave me the, 'What have you done???? Wow!' I use a very light texture yellow-edged finishing powder. I must need a lot of color correction because this does not leave me looking yellow----just looking healthy. I love it and the long search is over. Let me throw a party (and save a lot of money).
My cleansing routine is olive oil and a warm, wet rag.
My first primer is Miracle II Neutralizer (TBS. or two in a small spray bottle with pure water), a single spray mixed with two drops of vegetable glycerin (I do not sell MIracle II). This IS a miracle. It is the perfect skin filler, non greasy skin retexturizer. Nothing like it. I had tried all of those, too.
My night moisturizer is organic coconut oil with a few drops of pure rose oil in a whole jar.
My facial exercises are Carolyn's Facial Fitness and a few from Facelift Without Surgery.
I am 60. I look 50 (or less).
If someone is having problems with the consistency of this foundation, it might be resolved with a retexturizing product for your skin like I mentioned above or of your choice. I will say working a little with retexturizing my skin causes any foundation to 'sit' properly.
But it took Flower Foundation to make me feel good every morning with my makeup palette. Sometimes it pays to take one more chance.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2014 9:58:00 PM More reviews by TaliaER

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was really disappointed with this foundation simply because I cannot use it. I am really pale and have a very hard time finding foundations that match my skin. I got the shade LF1 and it is the perfect shade for me. The formulation of this foundation however is horrible for my skin. It made my face look worse. It is extremely streaky and and has barely any coverage. It becomes very patchy after about 30 mins even with my powder on top. I used Mineral Veil from Bare Essentials. I tried applying with everything sponges, brushes, even my fingers but I cannot get even coverage. Not to mention the fact that it melted off my face in 30 degree weather. If your skin is at all oily I would strongly urge you to keep the receipt if you buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Staaarlit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

As advertised:
Vitamins C and E for anti-aging benefits
SPF 15
Fragrance free
Paraben free
Talc free

$13.98 before tax, comes in a glass bottle, with pump and white cap. Packaging is sturdy, looks simple and nice. I'm actually not disappointed (and quite pleased) with the aesthetics of this entire line.
A common issue it seems...my glass bottle also came with a pump that works a bit glitchy. If it ever stops working and forces me to unscrew the bottle every time, I will be quite annoyed. For now, as long as it still pumps out the product, I don't mind much else.

Most reviewers have already said this, but I'll brief it through because it's one the biggest reasons why I really love this product. It works for yellow undertone girls!! Asian girls and warm undertone girls know what I'm talking about... it is so difficult to find a foundation out there that blends well into our warm-toned skin, let alone a drugstore foundation. So to finally have a drugstore line that carries it is just heavenly. Thank you Drew Barrymore for this thoughtful gesture. My Asian skin thanks you.

Just so you have an idea of the color range -- In MAC Mineralized Skinfinish Natural, I use "Light," and for this foundation, LF4 fits me very nicely (an extremely extremely extreeeemely bit darker to be exact, but it comes out more bronzy than "dark")

Texture/Feel/Coverage -- lightweight, breatheable, not heavy whatsoever.
I have never been able to use foundation even though I've always wanted to. My attempts many times over have led to dead ends...a waste of money. I would always end up giving my foundations off to my mom and friends since they don't feel that "heaviness" that I feel with foundation. Of course, the color match was also an issue, but even when it wasn't such an issue (ie. with Sonia Kashuk's tinted moisturizer), I still wasn't able to wear any face products (foundation & tinted moist.) because it would always feel so heavy on my skin. After 30 minutes or so, my skin would feel suffocated and sticky... I also never liked the way it made my face looked. Too fake, too obvious, just too overwhelming. The only face makeup I could settle with was mineral powders (ie. MAC) and Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream. Even so, Missha no longer looks natural when compared to this foundation.

Anyways, this foundation works like a foundation, but feels even more natural than a tinted moisturizer or a bb cream. I have okay skin...no acne (occassionally yes, but usually no), a few sunspots, and terribly obvious dark undereyes (super redness with some blue/purple from chronic sleep deprivation). I also get a lot of redness around my nostrils. This foundation works to even out the redness without appearing like I'm wearing foundation. Coverage is buildable. I can't explain it exactly... coverage is great, as though the texture is thick, yet the texture is quite sheer (thus its natural appearance). It really feels like my skin. I think it really has to do with the yellow undertone in this foundation; it helps to cancel out any redness...in a natural way. I think the primer might also be a main factor in helping with the natural effect, as lines are not pronounced as it would with many other foundations. Skin looks taute and fresh rather than flawlessly "made up." I usually do 2 thin layers under my eyes and on areas that are extra red. Like I said, coverage is buildable without that "foundation look."

I bought this last week, and I found myself using it every day since. I actually look forward to using it and have yet to touch my Missha BB Cream. I don't even want to go back to that.

Fragrance - there is a smell to it, not necessarily bad, but not good either. It does quickly go away, so no problem there for me. The product is supposed to be "fragrance-free," and I think that it is. Note that fragrance-free does not mean there is no smell. The smell is probably just from the ingredients. In any case, no allergic reaction so all is well.

This foundation is great for those with dry skin as it doesn't exacerbate the dryness. If you have oily skin, you'll need to powder your face afterwards as this product does provide that shiny, glossy appearance. Some people like this look (very popular for the Asian type of makeup because it's believed to make one look more youthful), but I do concur that this foundation can make a person look too shiny. In either case, it is an easy fix. I have normal skin (although I do battle dryness and oiliness depending on the season), and this foundation gives me more shine than I like, so I use powder for that perfect balance.

Lasting Power -- Have worn this for over 12 hours before, and I was glad to see that I didn't look like a greaseball. Coverage did fade around my nose and under my eyes, but that makes sense being that it'd been 12 hours. I would definitely touch up though after about 5 hours if I was to go out straight to dinner after work or something just to play it safe and get back that coverage.

Value -- $14 (nearly $15 after tax) does seem hefty, especially for non-working girls... I was a bit taken back by the price at first. However, the quality does make this a product worth buying. Especially for somebody like me, who has never ever found a foundation okay enough to use, this product is amazing and heaven-sent. It's absolutely worth every dollar. There is a lot in the bottle, too, so I think it's going to last me a long time. When I run out, I will let you know.

Will totally repurchase (going to buy one for my mama!) and absolutely recommend if you're like me and have always had trouble finding a foundation with yellow undertones (or if you never liked the texture of standard foundations).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2014 9:27:00 AM More reviews by emily0212

No. Too thick, too sticky. And I never thought I would EVER say this, too light! My face actually hurts from rubbing it trying to get this to spread. I tried sponges, I tried brushes, forget it. It settles into my fine lines and I look terrible.

I am bummed because I was hoping this would be a good one.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 12:50:00 PM More reviews by MadelineeeG

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My First Day using This product and I love it!
I have heard good things about the flower line and I was in search for an everyday Foundation, nothing too expensive (save those luxurious foundations for a night out, events, etc.) , I originally went to sephora to try to find an "inexpensive" foundation, yeah right , not there! So I ended up at walmart to go lipstick shopping and I ran across The Flower Line Foundation! I have heard nothing but good things about their BB Cream (which im excited to use too) so I decided to give it a try and swatch it on my hand, immediately I could tell that this foundation was a full coverage with a smooth look. I looked for my perfect color match and pick up a few of the lines lipstick (:
Used it this morning and I LOVE IT! this product is the best drugstore foundation on the market! It lays on the skin so smooth and settle,it definitely is a full coverage foundation that you can wear everyday for your busy day whether it be work or being out all day. You do have to set a moisture on your face or the foundation could look a tad bit dry (my face is a combination skin tone) .
I have already gotten compliments! Have a great day !

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2014 2:41:00 AM More reviews by InfinityGuitars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

JAN. 24 REVIEW: About Face has recently become one of my favourite foundations! I wear a shade LF13 which is the second-to-last darkest shade & a little orange/red. This foundation is really sheer & offers light coverage, so I don't recommend this if you have a lot of acne, acne scars, dark spots, etc. The finish is natural/dewy & your skin shows through the makeup.

I apply About Face with a wet beautyblender & happily found that I could apply it to my entire face, & then blend. The formula does blend easily & I didn't have to rush or apply it to one part of my face at a time. This foundation didn't oxidize on me, break me out, or look heavy or caked on me. The description says it's fragrance-free, but there is a scent; however, it's light & barely there. Because I have oily skin, I simply set it with a loose powder & the wear-time was great.

Lastly, the packaging is phenomenal. It looks like a high end cosmetic; the rose gold detail on the packaging looks exclusive for a foundation bought for $13 or $14 at Walmart. & hallelujah, it has a pump! The fact that it already has a primer is awesome & I appreciate that it's built in because it's one less product to apply or worry about. I definitely recommend About Face Foundation!

JAN. 29 UPDATE: Unfortunately, even though I'd been using this for weeks, my skin began reacting & broke out - BAD. Earlier in the day I noticed the right side of my face was really itchy. I didn't think anything of it & ignored it. The day after, I wore the foundation & once more, my face started itching & feeling uncomfortable. Again, I did not think anything of it because as I mentioned, I'd been wearing About Face for some time now & had no adverse reaction. When I went to remove my makeup & wash my face before sleep, I noticed irritation bumps & a breakout along my jaw bone & my temple... sure enough, where I'd been itching me before. As much as I do love this foundation, I have to put it down to 3 lipsticks from my original 5.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by mhanna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been very impressed with the Flower line of cosmetics. I have found them to be comparable,, and often better, then high end department store products. I have been using the Flower About Face foundation for about 6 months and I just purchased by second bottle. I think this is an excellent liquid foundation. It comes in a glass bottle with a pump. I use one pump for my entire face and smooth it over my jaw into my neck line to blur any demarcation. It has a heavy consistency when applied and I spread it on with my fingers and blend out to my hairline . I usually wear light to medium coverage and this foundation provides “medium-plus” coverage. I alternate this with Mac’s Face & Body and I get similar coverage from both. However, Flower stays more dewy on my skin without leaving me shinny, so the result is even skin that looks natural and hydrated. So, it really is a perfect way for me to get more coverage without looking dry and cakey. I purchased this at Walmart for $13.98. I do use a moisturizer underneath (either Murad Essential C Day Moisturizer or Elta MD Broad Spectrum SPF 40.). I do not use a primer and I do use a powder to set (Too Faced Primed & Poreless.) I still use a concealer for my undereye (always have to) because of the fuller coverage of this foundation I can use less concealer .

What I do not like about the product: (1) it is sold exclusively at Walmart which is inconvenient and often the display has been ravaged. So, it is difficult to find your shade in a bottle that has not been opened. (2) The bottle does not travel well. I took it on a business trip and the bottle leaked in-flight both ways, even though I made sure that the pump was very secure before my return flight. So, if you are going to travel with it make sure you keep it separate from other products in a heavy ziplock bag. (3) The shade is only on the label. If you remove the label there is no indication what shade you have. Now that I know that I will make sure to leave the part of the label that has my shade. By the way, I wear a LF9 in this foundation and a C6 in the Mac F&B for comparison. (4) Do not be fooled by the glass bottle; it does not show how much of the product is left. It always looks full even when you are down to the bottom.

So, overall, I love the product but do not like the marketing and packaging. I have had no issues with any breakouts or skin reaction of any kind. It is a great foundation that can provide fuller coverage without making mature skin look dehydrated. I do recommend this product and I have repurchased it.