Revlon ColorSilk Buttercream in Dark Brown

2.3

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I purchased the Dark Brown haircolor and dyed it over medium brown hair. I do want to state that the Revlon Buttercream products are excellent because they are so gentle on the hair and scalp. However, this haircolor didn't seem to last long and left my hair very brassy. It looks red in the light after one month. It does seem like a warm dark brown on the box so maybe I didn't choose well. I'm dying my hair with Buttercream Brown/Black to see if I get the results I wanted to begin with.

on 8/25/2014 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been using the regular Dark Brown Colorsilk for about 5 years, with amazing
salon-perfect results. I have no idea why I decided to try the "Buttercream" version after all this time, but I finally got sucked in......
My results were hugely disappointing. Applied the same way I always do with a bowl and a basting brush to the roots, left it on for the usual 30 minutes, applied to the full head for one minute longer, and rinse. Results: barely covered gray roots and uneven color on the rest of my head. Two days and one wash later, my grays were already showing as barely colored, and the rest of my head was dry and splotchy. My roots were a lighter reddish brown, nothing like Dark brown.
After a week and a half and about 6 washings....roots needed to be redone.

I called Revlon and complained and got a free coupon, went and bought a box of Dark Brown REGULAR Colorsilk, and recolored. I will NEVER stray from my stand-by again.

on 4/24/2013 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I very seldom color my hair. I was attempting to fix a bad coloring job that left my hair bright orange! My natural hair color is dark brown so I purchased this because it's close to my natural color. I also liked the fact that this product is ammonia free. I followed the directions I sectioned my hair into fours as described. I worked thorough one section at a time. The directions say to leave on for 25 minutes. I left it on for and additional 5 minutes because I wanted good coverage on all the orange hair. After 30 minutes I rinsed thoroughly and conditioned. I still had patches of orange hair! I think I should have left it on for 40 minutes. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and redye with a different brand. Will never purchase this brand again.

Edit 5/7/2013: It's been two weeks since using this hair color and it has faded considerably since then. Even with the use of color protecting shampoo and conditioner. This is more like a semi not a permanent dye. I'm definitely going to dye my hair again in two weeks with another brand.

on 2/3/2013 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been using the original ColorSilk in Dark Brown for a couple of years and have loved it. This new formula is amazing! I've never had home color turn out so evenly and uniform. The color is a true, rich dark brown that isn't muddy or flat. I'm always worried when trying a new formula that it will end up looking black but this is perfect! It applies like a dream and I've never had color rinse out so easily. My hair feels amazing and is super shiny. The gloves they provide are definitely better than the original ColorSilk, but they're still not great. Also, the amount of conditioner is pretty puny. But, the amazing results make up for those little things. This is a definite winner and I'm completely impressed with how fantastic this product is. I'm in love!!!