April 16, 2014 | 1442 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by dbmiller

I got all six shades and I will review them individually as well as here. What I would say is these powders look best in the opposite light you're going to be in. For example, Dim Light looks best in lighted situations like florescent light since fluorescent light can be really harsh, this makes you look like your features are softened similarly to how they would be in dim light. Oppositely, I would use one of the lighter shades, like Diffused light if I was going to be in dim light to brighten my complexion up. So far I like the texture of the powders and find them relatively easy to work with, keeping in mind that Radiant and Luminous can be the easily overdone and look overly shimmery when a heavy hand is used. For the most part you have to be careful with these powders because you can quickly overdo it. I would choose a soft powder brush and lightly tap it into the product and tap it off before applying. I think the key to them looking natural is a very light application. Otherwise they would alter the shade of your skin and look fake and awkward. Hourglass nailed the intended light also, which I think is very clever and more advanced than typical makeup, therefore making it worth the price tag. I will update as I play more, but so far, I am loving these. UPDATE: My favorite of all the powders is Dim Light. This is the most flattering to my complexion out of all the powders. It really makes my skin look nearly perfect. Definite repurchase on this one. Next favorite is Luminous Light because it's such a neutral shade that brings illumination to the skin. Radiant is my third favorite because it adds some warmth when I'm looking drab. Mood Light is my fourth favorite because it brightens the complexion when I'm looking tired. Diffused and Ethereal are my last favorites, respectively. because I don't think Diffused is that special; it's a yellowish powder that cancels redness and is easily dupe-able imo and Ethereal can really make me look pale because it's such a light shade. I only use it at night and even at that, not very often.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 9:25:00 PM More reviews by savyy

I tried this in Dim, Mood and Ethereal. I ended up returning all three. I tried applying it different ways and couldn't see what all the fuss is about. It settles into pores. You're supposed to lightly sweep it on and it's hardly noticeable. By putting a little more on of the Dim and Mood, it was too dark for my skin. The Dim and Mood looked nice as a blush but why would I pay $50 for a blush? I just didn't see the points of these expensive powders that don't do much.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by GirlyGirl143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don'y understand the bad reviews because I LOVE this powder. I have it in ethereal light which is the neutral white powder. It is not too yellow or pink, just perfect. I am Nw10 and it is perfect as a setting powder all over the face. This powder is finely milled and sooo silky smooth. I use a vellum puff to press the powder over my foundation and then lightly brush the excess away with a powder brush. No joke, my skin feels like a baby's butt and it my skin looks like a porcelain doll without looking fake. It is HG for me, just wish it did not cost so much :(

Pros:
Perfect color
finely milled and smooth
gives perfect complexion

Cons:
Price

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by tabscarlon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this in diffused light on a whim online. And I am happy I did. I only just started using it again, as I have been trying to figure out what foundation works best for my skin.

I have been using Nars Sheer Glow in the lightest shade and then I lightly rush this powder over my face, and it really seems to sets the foundation without it looking flat. I like that the colour is a slight yellow tinge as it brightens up my fair skin and adds warmth.

I find the lighter the dusting you use and the bigger and fluffier the brush the better it works.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 2:42:00 AM More reviews by loveforbeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After debating for months whether to get this or not I finally tried it out at Sephora. I'm oily-skinned, so I was afraid of it looking too dewy on me, but I was not disappointed. I ended up getting the limited edition trio palette and I looooove it! I'm so glad I picked it up, it really is a gem. :) if used correctly, it it the perfect finishing product to give your face the ultimate soft focus glow. I use it after I've finished all my makeup, as the second to the last step before I walk out the door. I apply it with a very light hand and dust it all over my face. My skin is instantly perfected. If I'm wearing a matte face I dust on the lightest color from the palette to highlight my cheekbones and nose. And because I'm oily I follow up with an oil control setting spray. I love this thing I've been looking for a product like this for a whole. I'm not too big on highlighting everyday so this is a good alternative to making you look radiant. :) yes, it pricey, but you'll get your money's worth since you will use so little of it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by luckypenny68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in "Dim"
I expected a lot more from this powder than what I actually got. The only thing I found to be good about it was the packaging, it is really nice but not "awesome" nice. It is too expensive and it did absolutely nothing to enhance the overall look of my makeup.
I've used this stuff more than once just to make sure I was seeing what I wasn't supposed to see. I saw no improvement to the finish of my makeup, and my pores even seemed larger for some reason. I was really upset at myself for having spent money on something that just didn't work at all. I don't have a Sephora near by so I couldn't swatch it. I bought it based on hype coming from social media and MUA. How disappointing.
This shade did not deliver a glowy finish to my skin and it didn't make my pores look any better. Bottom line is this stuff just isn't worth the money and it is not the bomb, period. I hate to bash it, but I'm being honest. If you work hard for what you buy and you want a good product at a good value this stuff just might not work for you.
I've sent it back to Sephora and I'll keep searching for a better finishing powder because this one was worthless.

9 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't remember how I came upon this powder but I finally ordered two shades after reading that the makeup artist who did Kerry Washington's makeup for the 2013 Emmys swore by it. I bought the shades Diffused and Radiant Light as they seemed like they would likely work best for my tan/olive complexion. For the past two years, I've been using various shades of Guerlain Meteorites (which are also pretty great although finding a shade that does something for you can be difficult) so I put off using these for a bit.

What I've noticed about these powders is that will give you varied results depending on the lighting. I first tried Diffused Light on a gray, cloudy cold day. I wasn't very impressed as it seemingly did nothing. The following day, which was still gray, cloudy and cold, I tried Radiant Light. The Radiant shade seemingly warmed up my skin and it looked great. However, when I tried it on a sunny day, it seemed too dark. Almost like I applied too much bronzer all over my face. Conversely, Diffused Light worked fabulously when worn on a sunny day. On the plus side, neither of these powders contain a slew of glitter or sparkles which make it safe for those of us who don't want a sparkle party face. Since my skin is dry, I generally avoid pressed powders as they make me look ashy and oldish but this powder doesn't do that. It's also fairly easy to apply provided you blend it well. You need only to swipe your brush across the surface of the Ambient powder to get a good amount. I use Samantha Chapman's kabuki brush which I find works well with this powder. Just like most highlighters, Ambient Lighting Powder is a bit of a hit or miss. Your skin tone plays a part in how they will look but the lighting does as well. If you're going to use these, do play around with the days you use them on because while one may look awful on a sunny day, it may very well look amazing on a gray day.

While I do like the results, this stuff is expensive. Almost insanely so. This powder is well made and you do get a lot of product (I can't imagine anyone would run out of this quickly unless they were painting the side of a building) but $45 is a bit much especially since this doesn't even come with a brush! The powder is housed in a sturdy plastic, mirrored compact that is fairly bulky but light weight. Looking at this, it's hard to rationalize how or why this cost so much. After looking at some of the other products that Hourglass has to offer, I'm guessing that a company that charges $42 for lip oil probably isn't terribly concerned with keeping their line affordable.

I would recommend this to others but only if you've yet to find a good dupe or less inexpensive powder that you like. It's nice enough but it's certainly not a must have. If you do choose to buy it, I don't recommend buying it online unless you get it from Hourglass' official site or Sephora's online site because sellers on eBay and Amazon are marking this up to about $60 or more (presumably because the online makeup gurus are currently swearing by this). I think the best route is to try this at a Sephora store or a makeup counter and try out a shade that interests you. After that, find a natural light source and see if you like the results. As stated, it's difficult to tell how each shade will appear on different people. Like all highlighters, it seems like the ones that you think will look awful look great and vice versa. Read the reviews, test it out and then plop down $45 if you think it's a product you must have.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have Ethereal and Diffused Light. I'm an NC15 in MAC with oily/ combo skin and large pores. So far, I've been using Ethereal for about two weeks and, honestly, I can't say there's anything to write home about.

Ethereal Light is an "opalescent, sheer cool white powder" and makes for a decent setting powder. I sweep it across my skin with my NARS #28 Ita brush, which is thin and flat. It gets rid of shine without making my skin appear powdered or flat, and I don't find that it alters the color of my base - then again, I'm pretty pale. It doesn't do much to minimize the appearance of my pores and it doesn't control oil beyond the norm. It does work particularly well for setting my undereye concealer though, and since it's so pricey I think I will be using it mainly for that purpose from now on.

I also own Laura Geller's Balance n Brighten Foundation in Porcelain, which definitely has more coverage, but if applied with a light hand will brighten my complexion and offer a glowy, soft-focus effect similar to what I get with Ethereal Light. This is supposed to be an "effect" powder meant for imparting a subtle glow/ radiance/ etc. so if I can get substantially the same effect with something cheaper, or that I already own, then I won't need to shell out the money for an Ambient Lighting Powder.

I have a very oily t-zone so my main concern when it comes to my complexion is oil control. A subtle effect is nice, but if I get oily within the hour then that effect is overtaken by an unflattering shine and horrendous-looking pores. I believe guys/ gals with normal to dry skin will likely enjoy these much more and really appreciate them for their intended purpose.

I have yet to use Diffused Light, a "soft, warm pale yellow" that is supposed to reduce redness and give skin clarity. In the pan it's very similar to Ethereal Light, but with a distinctly more yellow tone. I can't imagine that it would really do much to correct redness since these powders are so sheer. I wouldn't want to layer it on either and go through the product at breakneck speed. (It's expensive)!

These are definitely a luxury product for me. They are not a bad product, just not a necessity and not mind-blowing. The $45 price tag (plus tax) gets you 9.92 grams, which is fairly exorbitant. The packaging is gorgeous, sleek, lightweight, and only slightly bulky. It's a beautiful item to have out on my vanity or to pull out of my purse... but is it really worth the money? It really depends on your budget and personal opinion.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by Erin1906

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

first of all, i have to say it is way too expensive! i got it when sephora had the 20% off sale.i got the lightest shade, and overall i do like it a lot. i put it all over my face to set my makeup/ it brightens up my face a little and gives that soft focus effect. i tried to use it as a high lighter, but it does not show up really well. for high lighter, you can not see it on your face no matter how much you put it on. but all over the face it does look nice and brightening.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by orenjinominh

I don't quite understand MUA's general dislike of this powder, but here are my views regardless.

First of all, it's sort of one of those products that are overpriced and overhyped for the price and what they are supposed to do. I will agree with that. Are they nice to own and a great item to have if you just want that extra kick to your makeup look? I would say yes.It really depends on your skin, but I wouldn't expect miracles from this powder alone.

I appreciate a finishing powder that makes my skin look natural again and glowy without shimmer. I like Ben Nye Banana and NARS LRP for this purpose, but I hate the loose powders getting everywhere. That being said, you're not missing out on magic if you don't purchase this, but it performs about the same way as the other two powders but is in pressed form. Perfect for me.

I got mine in Ethereal Light, which seemed too white in pan but provides an almost translucent glow to my skin. You can definitely tell that it makes a difference in photos and under direct sunlight. Under fluorescent or already dim lighting it probably won't say much. I wanted to try Dim light, which is supposed to blur things out, but it looked so...beige/dark for my light olive skin. Radiant light seems like a pretty highlighter but I already have my HG.

If I was cheap/didn't care for the subtle difference, I would continue on with my Rimmel Stay Matte/MAC MSFN (very similar to this btw with no coverage) and still live happily ever after. But for days when I use fuller coverage foundations that are on the matte side, this really adds back that skin-like quality. If you already like dewy and sheer foundations for a natural look, this won't do much.

I'm going to purchase the palette form of this and see how I like it. Overall, I don't feel as if I've wasted my money. I do see a difference and like the change from my DS powders which tend to be cakey/chalky if over-applied.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No