July 24, 2014 | 1685 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2014 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Calligrapher

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really disappointed with this product. I planned to use this as my finishing powder but it gave me sort of a dull, ashy look. It is nothing special, mostly all hype. It is expensive and even if it didn't give me an ashy, dull look, the quality and sheerness of this powder itself is not any better than what I use now, MUFE.
Don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by ovanel

This product has a cool concept, it is able to manipulate how your skin looks under different lighting. Each powder has a different tone to make your skin look the most flattering under harsh lighting. The first color I bought was dim light and it had a blurring effect which made my skin look perfect however it was too dark on my skin in natural lighting. Since this product is so expensive, I wanted one that I can use any time of the day. So then I bought diffused light which is a pale yellow color with light shimmers. This one is perfect. It set my foundation while blurring pores and cancelling out some redness. I very lightly dust this over my entire face after applying my foundation. It made my otherwise matte foundation look dewy and natural. My skin looked glowy but not fake in direct sunlight and natural lighting. It also looks amazing in dim lighting as it brightens my complexion. The other colors seem too light and frosted for me, I might try them on the future. But for now, I would definitely repurchase the diffused light.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 2:52:00 AM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

yiiiikes these looked so garish on me. I wanted to love these and couldn't believe I couldn't find even one color to work with. I'm NC20.

Dim Light- too dark, looked kind of bruisy. Maybe if you cover the whole face with it it'd be a different story, but it was very dark for me.

Diffused Light-ugllllyyy wayy too light!! Put it all over my face and had to wash it off because I looked washed out and just hideous.

Mood Light- what kind of mood? I'd have to say a sad one. This was bruisy and too purple. This is more like a sad blush.

Luminous Light- too many sparkles and very pink. Would maybe work with a touch here or there, but not worth the money and better looking with a non-powder formula.

The powder is silky and soft...but these just didn't work for whatever reason. Couldn't believe it. I think the palette could be more effective, using just a touch here or there, but I'm not planning on attending the Grammy's or Oscar's any time soon and wasting time mixing these around my face. There are better highlighting products out there.

Summary "Twilight." New name suggestion : Edward's Twilight Lighting Powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by larabr

I bought the limited-edition trio and even though it was expensive, I did not regret it. I swipe a large powder brush on the 3 shades mixed together, then dust it all over my face after I've finished my makeup and it really makes my skin look airbrushed, it's amazing! It gives a gorgeous glow without looking shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 4:43:00 AM More reviews by ChanelLove07

I am in love with this powder. I have the shade Dim Light and it is gorgeous. It makes my skin look so good in natural lighting. I dust this over my skin as a finishing powder and makes me skin look better and blurs my imperfections whilst giving my skin a nice sheen like im glowing. The packaging is beautiful and for the price of AUD$62 you get alot of product so its worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 6:02:00 PM More reviews by kristimh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm in love with these powders and Hourglass! I have diffused and luminous light. Diffused I use under my eyes and it give the perfect brightening glow. I usually use luminous light all over for that "lit from within glow." When choosing these powders, it's best to play with them in the store. If still unsure, have a MUA at sephora help you. They really do look and do different things depending on your skin tone. I've found them best used at the end of my makeup routine after I've set my foundation. If you get the right shade and find your best use for your complexion, you won't want to leave home without them. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by sandries

I've jonesing this product for over a year, but could never feel good about ponying up $45 for just a powder. I even got the poor man's version of this, the Wet n' Wild "Reserve your Cabana" highlighter in the vain hope of emulating the effect this powder has. I got the "Dim Light" color because it seemed the most versatile.
Now I really don't know anything about the science behind the powder and I really don't care. It simply makes your skin look refined and vaguely opalescent like the models you see in skincare ads in Vogue magazine. It gives me a rosier glow; I have yellow undertones and pronounced pores (read: crater-like) on my nose and cheeks.

Is it worth the $45? For a person with naturally beautiful skin, probably not. In the end, it's really just a very well made, high quality highlighter. It takes very little to brush on and it appears to last for the majority of the day. Like other reviewers mentioned, if you have money to burn, go and get this.

The WnW powder is not bad per se, just not as finely milled as this one appears to be. And it doesn't have the breadth of color that the Hourglass one does. The Hourglass Dim Light could easily replace foundation or tinted moisturizer on a good skin day. I hope this helps someone figure out if they should part with their $45 or not:).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by dbmiller

I got all six shades and I will review them individually as well as here. What I would say is these powders look best in the opposite light you're going to be in. For example, Dim Light looks best in lighted situations like florescent light since fluorescent light can be really harsh, this makes you look like your features are softened similarly to how they would be in dim light. Oppositely, I would use one of the lighter shades, like Diffused light if I was going to be in dim light to brighten my complexion up. So far I like the texture of the powders and find them relatively easy to work with, keeping in mind that Radiant and Luminous can be the easily overdone and look overly shimmery when a heavy hand is used. For the most part you have to be careful with these powders because you can quickly overdo it. I would choose a soft powder brush and lightly tap it into the product and tap it off before applying. I think the key to them looking natural is a very light application. Otherwise they would alter the shade of your skin and look fake and awkward. Hourglass nailed the intended light also, which I think is very clever and more advanced than typical makeup, therefore making it worth the price tag. I will update as I play more, but so far, I am loving these. UPDATE: My favorite of all the powders is Dim Light. This is the most flattering to my complexion out of all the powders. It really makes my skin look nearly perfect. Definite repurchase on this one. Next favorite is Luminous Light because it's such a neutral shade that brings illumination to the skin. Radiant is my third favorite because it adds some warmth when I'm looking drab. Mood Light is my fourth favorite because it brightens the complexion when I'm looking tired. Diffused and Ethereal are my last favorites, respectively. because I don't think Diffused is that special; it's a yellowish powder that cancels redness and is easily dupe-able imo and Ethereal can really make me look pale because it's such a light shade. I only use it at night and even at that, not very often.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 9:25:00 PM More reviews by savyy

I tried this in Dim, Mood and Ethereal. I ended up returning all three. I tried applying it different ways and couldn't see what all the fuss is about. It settles into pores. You're supposed to lightly sweep it on and it's hardly noticeable. By putting a little more on of the Dim and Mood, it was too dark for my skin. The Dim and Mood looked nice as a blush but why would I pay $50 for a blush? I just didn't see the points of these expensive powders that don't do much.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by GirlyGirl143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don'y understand the bad reviews because I LOVE this powder. I have it in ethereal light which is the neutral white powder. It is not too yellow or pink, just perfect. I am Nw10 and it is perfect as a setting powder all over the face. This powder is finely milled and sooo silky smooth. I use a vellum puff to press the powder over my foundation and then lightly brush the excess away with a powder brush. No joke, my skin feels like a baby's butt and it my skin looks like a porcelain doll without looking fake. It is HG for me, just wish it did not cost so much :(

Pros:
Perfect color
finely milled and smooth
gives perfect complexion

Cons:
Price