November 21, 2014 | 1044 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 7:33:00 AM More reviews by Emmathompson

There are a lot of people saying that they look terrible, personally I think they may be applying these wrong! They are amazing powders that make you gorgeously glowy! Don't listen to the people who say don't waste your money, go in and check for yourself. I have quite pale skin and can make most of these shades work, using them one way or another. I would definitely buy again

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by Dromero03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

When I first heard of this product I was so skeptical it wasn't even funny. Like come on, please...a powder that can give you a candlelight like glow without being photoshopped?! I was so skeptical that I knew I had to buy it to prove everyone wrong. So I ran (not walked) to my nearest Sephora and bought it with my Christmas gift card that I just received because I didn't believe, I couldn't believe that such a product existed. And since I don't believe in waiting till Dec 25 to open up my gifts I figured Christmas was coming early for me that year!

Upon arriving home after my skeptical shopping adventure, I tried it on right away. I was SHOCKED to see that standing under my bathroom light in the mirror my face looked flawless with a candle light effect on the spots I placed the powder on. I think I admired myself so long that I lost track of time (seriously). I place this powder on the tops of my cheek bones, tops of my eyebrows, forehead, down the bridge of my nose, cupid's bow and chin. You only need a little as it goes a long way.

I could not believe this product actually lived up to the hype. In the light it does really give you a candlelight effect which looks realistic. What I love even more about these powders is that it comes in six different colors. According to Sephora's website, the colors are:

Ethereal Light: A sheer, cool tone that eliminates shine and mimics a moonlit glow—even in broad daylight.

Diffused Light: A soft, warm, pale yellow that reduces redness, eliminates shine, and gives skin clarity.

Dim Light: A neutral soft beige that provides a perfect balance of warm and cool tones to blur imperfections.

Mood Light: A soft, sheer lavender pink that mimics the softest, most forgiving light and brightens the complexion.

Luminous Light: A champagne pearl that creates a soft, incandescent candlelit glow—day or night.

Radiant Light: A sun-kissed golden beige that enhances the overall complexion with believable, subtle warmth.

The compact is larger then normal size on all these powders. It encompasses the whole size of my palm which for a powder is pretty big. I currently only have it in Luminous Light, but I for sure plan to buy all five compacts and test them out under different lighting and events.

However, keep in mind that all these colors do not work on every skin tone. Your best bet is to try them out before buying them. Sephora has horrible lighting. So I would recommend you test it first, walk around the mall or store and check it against different lighting. They are pretty expensive so you want to make sure you get the right one that works for you! Even though Sephora does allow you to return items, but still its a hassle to do this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Tygerlilee84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

So I drank the koolaide and gave in after over a year of hearing rave reviews for this product. And I wasn't a fan. And I think that finishing powders just aren't my thing-probably because I have combo to oily skin. I find that I'm oily enough that I have to use a mattifying powder. So I apply my foundation and use a setting powder. To then put a finishing powder on top doesn't really do anything for me and I feel it's completely rediculous to have a whole extra step. I'm pretty sure the finishing powder works better just on top of the foundation but I'm too oily to do that.
I got diffused light, a pale yellow powder. The texture is nice, the packaging is nice. It's talc free. All things I love. When I buff it into my skin after foundation, it looks nice but only for a very short time (like an hour). Buffing it on top of a mattifying powder is just silly as you really can't see this powder at all.
At the end of the day, this is a very expensive powder that has no lasting power and that I can't tell a difference after I use it. I give it 3 lippies because I consider that an average product. I think if you have dry and or dull looking skin, it may possibly be worth it for you. For me, no. I'm considering trying the luminous one as a highlighter but I will not try any others as all over face powders. I returned this one actually. The NARS crystal reflecting powder is probably my best bet to get a finishing powder because as a silica powder it's really helps with oil control. Of note, I tried guerlain meteroites and they did slightly more for me than hourglass but have talc which made me crazy itchy.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2014 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Calligrapher

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really disappointed with this product. I planned to use this as my finishing powder but it gave me sort of a dull, ashy look. It is nothing special, mostly all hype. It is expensive and even if it didn't give me an ashy, dull look, the quality and sheerness of this powder itself is not any better than what I use now, MUFE.
Don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by ovanel

This product has a cool concept, it is able to manipulate how your skin looks under different lighting. Each powder has a different tone to make your skin look the most flattering under harsh lighting. The first color I bought was dim light and it had a blurring effect which made my skin look perfect however it was too dark on my skin in natural lighting. Since this product is so expensive, I wanted one that I can use any time of the day. So then I bought diffused light which is a pale yellow color with light shimmers. This one is perfect. It set my foundation while blurring pores and cancelling out some redness. I very lightly dust this over my entire face after applying my foundation. It made my otherwise matte foundation look dewy and natural. My skin looked glowy but not fake in direct sunlight and natural lighting. It also looks amazing in dim lighting as it brightens my complexion. The other colors seem too light and frosted for me, I might try them on the future. But for now, I would definitely repurchase the diffused light.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 2:52:00 AM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

yiiiikes these looked so garish on me. I wanted to love these and couldn't believe I couldn't find even one color to work with. I'm NC20.

Dim Light- too dark, looked kind of bruisy. Maybe if you cover the whole face with it it'd be a different story, but it was very dark for me.

Diffused Light-ugllllyyy wayy too light!! Put it all over my face and had to wash it off because I looked washed out and just hideous.

Mood Light- what kind of mood? I'd have to say a sad one. This was bruisy and too purple. This is more like a sad blush.

Luminous Light- too many sparkles and very pink. Would maybe work with a touch here or there, but not worth the money and better looking with a non-powder formula.

The powder is silky and soft...but these just didn't work for whatever reason. Couldn't believe it. I think the palette could be more effective, using just a touch here or there, but I'm not planning on attending the Grammy's or Oscar's any time soon and wasting time mixing these around my face. There are better highlighting products out there.

Summary "Twilight." New name suggestion : Edward's Twilight Lighting Powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by larabr

I bought the limited-edition trio and even though it was expensive, I did not regret it. I swipe a large powder brush on the 3 shades mixed together, then dust it all over my face after I've finished my makeup and it really makes my skin look airbrushed, it's amazing! It gives a gorgeous glow without looking shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 4:43:00 AM More reviews by ChanelLove07

I am in love with this powder. I have the shade Dim Light and it is gorgeous. It makes my skin look so good in natural lighting. I dust this over my skin as a finishing powder and makes me skin look better and blurs my imperfections whilst giving my skin a nice sheen like im glowing. The packaging is beautiful and for the price of AUD$62 you get alot of product so its worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 6:02:00 PM More reviews by kristimh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm in love with these powders and Hourglass! I have diffused and luminous light. Diffused I use under my eyes and it give the perfect brightening glow. I usually use luminous light all over for that "lit from within glow." When choosing these powders, it's best to play with them in the store. If still unsure, have a MUA at sephora help you. They really do look and do different things depending on your skin tone. I've found them best used at the end of my makeup routine after I've set my foundation. If you get the right shade and find your best use for your complexion, you won't want to leave home without them. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by sandries

I've jonesing this product for over a year, but could never feel good about ponying up $45 for just a powder. I even got the poor man's version of this, the Wet n' Wild "Reserve your Cabana" highlighter in the vain hope of emulating the effect this powder has. I got the "Dim Light" color because it seemed the most versatile.
Now I really don't know anything about the science behind the powder and I really don't care. It simply makes your skin look refined and vaguely opalescent like the models you see in skincare ads in Vogue magazine. It gives me a rosier glow; I have yellow undertones and pronounced pores (read: crater-like) on my nose and cheeks.

Is it worth the $45? For a person with naturally beautiful skin, probably not. In the end, it's really just a very well made, high quality highlighter. It takes very little to brush on and it appears to last for the majority of the day. Like other reviewers mentioned, if you have money to burn, go and get this.

The WnW powder is not bad per se, just not as finely milled as this one appears to be. And it doesn't have the breadth of color that the Hourglass one does. The Hourglass Dim Light could easily replace foundation or tinted moisturizer on a good skin day. I hope this helps someone figure out if they should part with their $45 or not:).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No