April 18, 2014 | 1930 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Luminous Light

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by FeminineCharm

The one thing that put me off buying this despite the raving reviews was no doubt, the price Aus$62 which is crazy talk for face powder. However, It has been worth my trip to Mecca Maxima where I could see that this warm, golden shade wouldn't end up looking like a bronzer once applied to my NC25-30 skin.

There were visible golden flecks in the swatch but no bronzing effect which was a good sign. Unbelievably, when I used this on top of my foundation, the expected "frosty fright" wasn't there...instead I was pleasantly surprised by how much this powder changes the way that light is reflected off the skin. I could not detect the shimmer particles at all. My complexion looked natural and rested.

This was easy to apply and even more amazingly, I needed less of this ambient powder to set my make up than if I had used ordinary powder. On application with a large fluffy brush, I could immediately tell it was enough- a real relief given the expense of it!

All I would advise is only invest if you really are into the really minute details of your make up routine. This is great if you are keen to set your foundation but hate the flat, and almost wooden look of a traditional powder.

The packaging lets it down as it looks great with it's gunmetal grey colour but the compact is lighter than it looks. so it seemed a bit tacky- especially when the popping action of the lid was no different to a cheap compact. This is harsh but I expect a lot more thought into these details when paying for premium brands.

I love this product and would definitely re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after hearing all the rave over these powders, and Luminous jumped out at me as one of the best. If you're buying this for a cheek highlighter, I think you'll be disappointed..it's very subtle. I got it to use as a finishing powder, and it's perfect for that. It blurs imperfections, and leaves my skin looking healthy, radiant, and adds a very subtle glow. When I swatched this at Sephora I thought it would be too dark for my pale skin, but when I put it on with a big fluffy brush, it doesn't add any color. I'm so glad I listened to all the hype and decided to get this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by sentientglittercloud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased this on a lark after all the hype, and it is perfect as a finishing powder for my fair-medium skin. It is everything I wanted Guerlain Meteorites to be...diminishes imperfections and gives an all around glow without glitter or too much frost. I could see using this as a highlighter only, but since it's a perfect match for my skin, I plan to continue using it all over (probably not for work days, my industry is very casual). I wish the packaging had room for a sponge, which is what I use for application. Then the packaging would be perfect to take on the go.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 7:53:00 AM More reviews by zaynaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I'm not sure if I'm eventually going to regret giving this the comparatively low three lippies I've given it, but I have to go with what I feel, and I just feel a bit underwhelmed.

I believed the hype last year and bought Diffused Light, and it has ended up being one of my absolute favourite beauty buys- it's a daily use, multi-tasking powder and I've already used it enough to leave a dent in it. It's one of those products I actively look forward to using, and I find myself reaching for it far more often than I reach for my Guerlain Meteorites, even though I feel they are, in some ways a superior product.

So it was inevitable that I'd buy another of these at some stage. And I ended up picking Luminous Light. I dismissed Mood and Radiant as being a bit too pigmented for an all over product (though I am aware that Hourglass intends for these powders to be used in conjunction with each other, so they might be intended to be more blush or bronzer like), and Ethereal and Dim seemed 'boring' somehow. Well, my love of shiny stuff has been my undoing here. Luminous Light is a seriously frosty powder.

It applies more or less colourless, though you can sort of build up a champagne tint if you pack it on. But it is just so sparkly. Not glittery, there aren't any random chunks of sparkle (which I occasionally seem to find in the Meteorites), but it's more than a 'glow'. Used all over it looks a bit too much like that look you get when your face is just slightly beaded with sweat. That might not be so bad on really gorgeous, model like skin, but on me it is basically a zoom lens for my pores. I don't think I have *really* big pores, but, apparently, my face is a mass of tiny wells, and this powder manages to make sure anyone beholding me has a good chance of being able to count every one. Even on top of mattifying foundation the effect is too greasy, though this does seem to succeed in holding back some of my actual grease. Maybe in dimmer light it could work, but by day it is unflattering.

However, restricted to my cheekbones this can look good. It's not metallic, and it doesn't look to gold or bronze, so I find it works really well on more subtle looks, if used judiciously. It's a fine powder and easy to blend out. Strictly as a highlight I find this harder to overdo than something like theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer which can be OTT with even a very subtle dusting. For that use I do reach for it, so it's not a total bust, but I don't adore it as much as Diffused, and I keep wishing I'd gotten one of the others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 12:02:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I got all six shades and I will review them individually and as a whole in the main review for these powders. This particular shade reminds me of exactly how it is described; a soft, incandescent candlelit glow - day or night. I've only used this once, Dim Light once and the Diffused Light once and what I would say is use them in the opposite light you're going to be in. For example this shade, I think this would look better at night; on a date or to go out, because it brings that candlelit effect to your skin. I wore this on a typical day to go to work. Granted, it's cloudy out today, I still think this would look much better at night and am not totally in love with the effect in office light. For the most part you have to be careful with these powders because you can quickly overdo it. I would choose a soft powder brush and lightly tap it into the product and tap it off before applying. I think the key to them looking natural is a very light application. Otherwise they would alter the shade of your skin and look fake and awkward. Oppositely, I would use one of the darker shades, like Dim or Radiant Light if I was going to be in fluorescent light to soften my features a bit. So far I like the texture of the particular shade and the actual shade is exactly as described; A champagne pearl. Hourglass nailed the intended light also, which I think is very clever and more advanced than typical makeup, therefore making it worth the price tag. I will update as I play more, but so far, I am loving these. UPDATE: This is my second favorite out of all the powders. It's a soft neutral shade that illuminates. I have to be kinda careful with this though, because like Radiant light, this can be overly shimmery when a heavy hand is used.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I so wanted to not like this due to the obscene price ($45) but I LOVE it. I lightly apply it all over my face to get a beautiful luminous glow. I have tried a few other luminizing powders and this one gives me the most natural glowy look. Lorac Perfect Lit luminizing power in Luminous is pretty close to this & much cheaper, I've been alterning the two, using the Hourglass power when I want to look absolutely amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by AnythingVanilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Just fantastic!!! Gives me a candlelit glow.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Kfunk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was so excited to try this product. I watched several reviews on all the shades and decided to get Luminous Light for my fair skin to dust all over. I was dissapointed. I tried everyday for a week with different brushes trying to see the "glow" that everyone refers to. No difference at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

This particular product is something that works for some and not so much for others. I fall in the first camp. First off I'm a NC45 for reference. I have another in "dim light" and apply that either all over or in strategic areas depending on the look I'm trying to achieve. I wanted Radiant but it was sold out at my Sephora. I was about to walk away from the Hourglass display when I spied Luminous. From other WOC I heard nothing but favorable reviews for this shade as a highlighter/face illuminator. I swatched it on the top of my hand and blended it out. I was impressed. It didn't come off looking ashy on my skin. I ran around the store looking under various lights to see how it looked. It was already dark outside so I couldn't see it out in the sun. I didn't need to as I was impressed how it looked inside under bright lights, soft lights,dim lights.I didnt leave the store empty handed.This morning I applied my Giorgio Armani Maestro foundation and my Bobbi Brown blush in apricot. I applied Dim under my eye area. Using a very light hand with my fan brush I applied Luminous along my cheekbones and blended it with my blush using a stippling brush. Oh my word!!! My cheekbones have an understated glow. Not a disco or ashy white glow but I nice glow that makes you wonder where the light is coming from. I'm always very skeptical of anything that I buy but I gotta say it feels good to find yet another great hit from this company. I usually reach for NARS albatross as my highlighter but it gives me such a noticeable look if I don't do it right (ie...in a rush). I will say this though I do think these Ambient Light line only works well with skin that has minimal issues. Don't expect a transformation if you have heavy acne or acne scarring. It plays well sitting on light foundation formulas and a light dusting of a setting powder (do not apply if you don't apply it on some sort of powder as it will fade quickly if done otherwise). Luminous can also be used on the brow bone using a fan brush. I really look forward to using this on a regular basis and I can only hope that they don't retire these awesome powders.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 2:43:00 AM More reviews by adgirl5

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Two thoughts come to mind...

way overpriced

way overly-hyped

Quench your thirst for the ambient glow if you must.. and your curiosity, like I did.

But realize.. it just ain't there.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No