Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Luminous Light

3.7

I have dry sensitive skin and I love Hourglass powders. It does not sink into my lines and brightens my face. I use this as a setting powder when I want a dewy look. It is not overly shiny and it does not show up as a highlighter on me. I know these are pricy but worth it in my opinion. It did not stick to my dry skin or eczema on my face. I do prefer Dim and Diffused more.

ATTENTION DRY SKIN LADIES WHO WANT A LUMINOUS GLOW - THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!

So after seeing a million Youtube raving reviews on this product, I knew I had to try it. I have relatively dry skin and opt for a dewey, radiant, and fresh faced look most often.

I steer clear of face powders because I find that they take away from the luminous complexion look, but I wanted to find a powder that would not cake and keep my "luminous finish" while still prolonging the wear of makeup. Well, this simply is not possible), I have discovered.

I settled with the "luminous glow" shade, and tried it with a bunch of different foundations and application techniques. Can I just say it does virtually NOTHING good for my skin ?? If used as an all over 'setting powder", my face becomes dull and muddy rather than glowing and luminous as the description brags. My makeup looked great with only a little bit of setting powder under the eyes (NARS olympia) - As soon as I swiped (a little) bit of this stuff on, I immediately regretted it.

This seems to be a gimmick to me. With its beautiful packaging and clever shade names, its no wonder people go nuts over this stuff. But let me tell you if you are looking for a luminous glow, opt for a moisturizing foundation with a good primer, some nice concealer with a touch of setting powder under the eyes, some glowy blush and a nice highlight on the cheekbones (think any of the loumanizers by the BALM). Set it all with a setting spray and you won't feel the need to drop $$$ on this useless powder.

Having said all of this, PERHAPS this could work for people with oily skin...but for people with dry/combo skin, I would NOT recommend this product - it's a waste of money.

In fact, I am going to stick to my normal / favourite makeup motto of NO all over face powders to continue rocking my luminous glow.
Glad I returned this guy.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

REVIEW OF LUMIMINOUS LIGHT

SKIN: Fair (NARS Vanilla / Chantilly Concealer) Porcelain with some redness
Can be dry

Day: Typically do not wear Foundation / BB / CC creams (concealer only)

Night: All the way

I bought a few after they hype died down and they were still selling strong

LUMINOUS was the only one that reduced by "baggage" that is, I could use it is a fast goof proof way and eliminate a few steps and products in my make up routine

For Day: I set my concealer and swipe a tiny bit all over. I sweep it under my brow bones for a quick eye highlight and dab in corner of eye

Then I either use it as a slight highlighter with some blush, or really build it up on my RED cheeks and to turn my red cheeks into a peachy pink glow thus I have a finished face fast. Easy as 1-2-3.

These powders are tricky to find the one that works for you.

DIM was too dark and peachy on my skin; OK as a blush but too expensive for a blush

MOOD was way too dark lavander pink probably good for ashy darker skin

Have not tried the other 2

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

edit; if u are lusting after this and it's too expensive, there are some great drugstore dupes that are equally good. -- and last longer. this doesn't last at all, it needs reapplication throughout the day, not just that but i have tried using it as an eyeshadow (foiled on a sticky base) and needed to reapply within the hour...
This doesn't come off as glittery or shimmery on my medium yellowish skintone at ALL. In fact it looks like a diffused sheen, as though I rubbed clear lipgloss on in place of highlighter. But better. I was going for other ones but they seemed chalky on my skin whereas this was a perfect match. I think this is better than the Guerlain Meteorites compacts. It does contain boron nitride high up on the ingredients list, which many are sensitive to, including myself. If you like this but find it a tad too sheen-y try Lorac Powder in Spotlight, that one is similar in colour but the effect is more subtle. Would not recommend this to ppl with large pores or skin texture issues.

Ah, that price! But I love this one as well as ethereal and the ambient palette.
Many reviewers say that this is too glittery for an all over powder, but on my skin (light, yellow/golden) it really really doesn't show as a highlighter at all, I use it all over and there's a nice subtle glow (probably less than ethereal) but still nothing too intense like real highlighters (i.e., becca, theBalm, etc.). I think that if your skin tone is like mine and the actual underneath color of the powder matches ur skin then it won't show as much but if you are darker, or very fair then it's probably best used as a highlighter :)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is such a glittery shiny mess. If you're into that sort of highlight for your face, then by all means buy this product. But this is not worth what Jaclyn Hill is saying it is worth. Highlighting is suppose to highlight your features, not make you into a disco ball face. But I guess to each their own. If you're looking for a NATURAL GLOW that makes your skin look healthy and youthful, go for KEVIN AUCOIN'S 'Celestial Powder' in CANDLELIGHT and mix that with NARS' NICO blush....ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!!! This will give your face a beautiful natural glow. Don't knock it till you try it.

As I have no self control when it comes to make up purchases and just couldn't narrow my ambient lighting powder choice down to one I ended up with 3 of these. Out of the 3 Luminous Light has the most sparkles/shimmer and slight frost on my NC15 skin so is a no-go for me as a setting/finishing powder.

On me this is strictly a high-lighter and I love it. I found it not only too shimmery on my NC15 skin tone but also too dark as a finishing powder. This makes a beautiful highlight product though for cheekbones, its like a more refined version of Mary-Lou Manizer, a little darker champagne in colour but less sparkly even though it does have quite a shimmer to it.

The packaging for the price is pretty underwhelming but you do get a decent amount of powder at 10g. The only reason I wont repurchase this is I'm not short of a highlight product or two so have many to work my way through.

Any NZ/Aussie girls on the look out for the ambient powders I found the cheapest place to purchase from was Mecca Australia.

The one thing that put me off buying this despite the raving reviews was no doubt, the price Aus$62 which is crazy talk for face powder. However, It has been worth my trip to Mecca Maxima where I could see that this warm, golden shade wouldn't end up looking like a bronzer once applied to my NC25-30 skin.

There were visible golden flecks in the swatch but no bronzing effect which was a good sign. Unbelievably, when I used this on top of my foundation, the expected "frosty fright" wasn't there...instead I was pleasantly surprised by how much this powder changes the way that light is reflected off the skin. I could not detect the shimmer particles at all. My complexion looked natural and rested.

This was easy to apply and even more amazingly, I needed less of this ambient powder to set my make up than if I had used ordinary powder. On application with a large fluffy brush, I could immediately tell it was enough- a real relief given the expense of it!

All I would advise is only invest if you really are into the really minute details of your make up routine. This is great if you are keen to set your foundation but hate the flat, and almost wooden look of a traditional powder.

The packaging lets it down as it looks great with it's gunmetal grey colour but the compact is lighter than it looks. so it seemed a bit tacky- especially when the popping action of the lid was no different to a cheap compact. This is harsh but I expect a lot more thought into these details when paying for premium brands.

I love this product and would definitely re-purchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I purchased this after hearing all the rave over these powders, and Luminous jumped out at me as one of the best. If you're buying this for a cheek highlighter, I think you'll be disappointed..it's very subtle. I got it to use as a finishing powder, and it's perfect for that. It blurs imperfections, and leaves my skin looking healthy, radiant, and adds a very subtle glow. When I swatched this at Sephora I thought it would be too dark for my pale skin, but when I put it on with a big fluffy brush, it doesn't add any color. I'm so glad I listened to all the hype and decided to get this!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I recently purchased this on a lark after all the hype, and it is perfect as a finishing powder for my fair-medium skin. It is everything I wanted Guerlain Meteorites to be...diminishes imperfections and gives an all around glow without glitter or too much frost. I could see using this as a highlighter only, but since it's a perfect match for my skin, I plan to continue using it all over (probably not for work days, my industry is very casual). I wish the packaging had room for a sponge, which is what I use for application. Then the packaging would be perfect to take on the go.