January 26, 2015 | 1381 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2015 11:36:00 PM More reviews by thenewjess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders were extremely hyped up in the blogging world, and they seemed like the "dewy base" lovers powder. I waited a long time to get one, and continuously swatched the two I was umming and ahhing over in the store : Dim Light and Diffused Light and Dim Light. I was set on getting Diffused Light, but then when I looked at the swatch I was put of by some evident shimmers and glitter particles. When swatched in the store on my hand and face, Dim light was the perfect match, so I decided to purchase this one. Now at $59 dollars it is expensive. First the postive: this is the most beautiful packaging and feels so lovely, has a great closure and big mirror. But the negatives: Once I got home I was so excited to use it with the rest of my products, but unfortunately when I put it on it started to look really pink toned (and I have yellow toned skin). I can get away with it all over my face, except for my eye area. This product makes my eye area look diseased, it makes the redness in my eyes stand out. It also makes my bags worse even when I had already concealed them.
I thought this was going to be a transformative powder, making me look super glowy. But its not. It's good but its not incredible and definitely not a must have. I'll use it until it's finished but I won't repurchase it. I feel as though when things get glowing reviews, they often can't live up to the expectations. This was the case with these powders for sure. Dim Light was a let down for a product so highly reviewed. I would spend my money elsewhere (like on a Ambient Lighting Blush, or a Nars Light Reflecting Powder).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2015 10:00:00 PM More reviews by frangipane

I love this product. It works really well on my skin tone. However, I have used this on friends when I have been doing their make-up and I notice it doesn't look terrific on everyone, particularly people that have skin that is perhaps a little more dry. It can make them look a little pasty and one of the more shimmery powders would be better.

I would recommend trying before you buy and I can see why there are mixed reviews around for this product, however I personally love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2015 3:06:00 AM More reviews by CountessOfPerth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I absolutely love this powder. It looks a little scary in the pan for super-pale people like me, but it works. First I apply my foundation, then I apply a bit of setting powder (usually Rimmel Stay Matte) to my face, concentrating on my oilest areas, and then I apply Hourglass over my entire face lightly. This sounds like it would be too much powder, but I promise you, it's not. My skin looks flawless and airbrushed every time; people have even commented on how good my skin looks. It really does make you look like you've been Photoshopped. I think the price is a bit ridiculous, but I would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2015 1:24:00 AM More reviews by lindseyjo

This product is probably one of my most unused makeup products and conisdering it was $45 that is pretty upsetting. Im not really sure what this i supposed to do because I have tried it as a setting powder, highlighter, and over my blush, but it does absolutely nothing for me. It is darker than my NC15 skin tone and comes off as an orangey glow. I'm extremely dissapointed with this product and I really dont understand all the hype.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2015 4:18:00 AM More reviews by MackMack

Where have you been all my life? This product is my HG. It's replaced my mineral powder in my make-up case. The finish is a softy difused light, not matte, not dewy, just blurry beautifulness. I get compliments on my skin, not my make-up, when I wear it. It looks like perfect skin- it's amazing. It wears beautifully, but if I decide to top it up through the day it doesn't cake, flake or go patchy. It performs well over foundation and sunscreen. It's an expensive product in Australia but have a shop around online. Once you try it you'll never look back.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2014 12:48:00 AM More reviews by izzybella

I bought the ambient lighting palette, which contains dim light, because I kept hearing about how it would make your complexion look amazing and airbrushed, etc., etc.

Dim Light has a negligible effect on my NC25-30ish complexion. If anything, it has a slight diffusing effect, but not enough to justifying keeping this palette for DL alone. I also noticed after several uses that it has a tendency to appear orange. I can't figure out if it oxidizes or if it just applies orange on me. Sad, because the makeup artist recommended using DL all over the face as a setting/diffusing powder. Instead of perfect airbrushed skin, I get an orangey glow.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by paine724

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ended up having to return this product because no matter how much i built this product up on my NC40 skintone, it produced no real significant effect on my skin. My friend who has much lighter skin wears this powder and it seems to work better for her but Hourglass ambient line really isnt very WOC friendly

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Somehow I only find myself purchasing these when I have either a coupon or a discount for it because they're simply so expensive. And I do not seem to get the same effect that others get and rave about when I purchase these ambient lighting powders.

When I apply dim light all over my NC15 complexion, I do find that it darkens my already applied foundation even with just a light dusting. I find that I do not reach for this for that sole purpose, and it may be better suited for darker skintones than my own. Diffused light was a better match for not altering my foundation tone, however I still do not see what is the marvel about these expensive powders!

For reference, my skin is NC15, dehydrated.

Edit: I recently acquired the palette which comes with Dim Light, and I finally found a use for this shade. To be frank, I still would not repurchase this product as I only use Dim Light for a light subtle work-day contour shade under my cheekbones. To have a large-sized powder for $52CAD for that purpose while I have other options would simply be outrageous, even for a beauty junkie like me. I do love many of the other ambient lighting powders though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 7:19:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This shade looks dirty on my NC25 skin. Somewhat chalky and poor quality imho. Sent it back.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by phylalexan

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I decided to buy just one of these HG ambient lighting powders rather than the palette as the radiant lighting in the palette is just too orange for me. I am so glad I purchased the Dim Light as it is lovely day or night -- doesn't highlight pores, isn't one bit shiny or sparkly ... it just makes me look finished.... like my makeup is complete - I'm hooked!