Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

4.3

on 3/18/2015 1:56:00 PM

on 3/16/2015 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ive owned Dim Light for about 5 months now and I must say it was so worth the splurge. I used this everyday and it doesn't even look like I made any dent in the pan since I need is a small amount. I use Dim Light as my finishing powder and apply it lightly with a tulip brush all over my face. I also use this on days that I have little to know makeup on. I always put a pore filling primer on with or with out makeup so applying this on top adds the extra touch to blurring my pores and fine lines. I dont ever want to go with out this powder.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I use this powder everyday when I wear makeup as a final step. I have fair skin NW20 so this is too dark for me to use as an all over setting or finishing powder. I use it on the outer sides of my face and sometimes to fuse my blush and contour together.
I do not think all the hype about these powders are true but I grew to really like this product. I say this bc at first I was disappointed with Dim Light. I thought it would do more for my skin like blur imperfections and give it a soft glow. It does do this it is just not as noticeable as I thought it would be.
I thought about exchanging it but I really do love this product and I could not bring myself to take it back to Sephora. Next on my list is Ethereal light. It will be a better match for me. But I will still use Dim Light.

This product is amazing in how little I have used. I have worn it almost everyday for the last 2 months and have barely made a dent.

One more positive to mention before I end this review is how finely milled it is. The quality is amazing. I have read some dupes for it are Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana bronzer, which I also own and I do not agree with. Yes, they swatch a similar color but the Hourglass Dim Light is very fine in texture and is less noticeable.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Best setting powder. It gives me a healthy look and blurs my imperfections. Can't get enough of this. I have to becareful not to apply too much as it does look a little dark on my light/yellow skin tone. A light dusting is all i need. My next powder to try is Diffused light. I apply this over my face power which is the Benefit Hello Flawless powder and it gives dimension to my face so it isn't so flat. Highly recommend this product.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

oh my goodness, lemme tell you how much i regret not buying this sooner. IT IS AMAZING. it's expensive, but will last you a long time. A little goes a long way. You honestly look airbrushed. It doesn't cling onto my dry patches. It's the perfect shade for all over the face. I'm very dry, so it's nice to have a powder that won't suck the tiny oil I have on my face away. it gives you a healthy glow

I have diffused light as well - great during winter when I'm very pale (i'm korean with yellow undertones).

This is a winner for me. I have normal to combination skin with slightly large pores in the t-zone. My skin is Sand in the Hourglass foundation series which sounds darker than it is. My skin is light but not fair 2R07 as the Sephora number, neutral cool. I have prominent features and this casts them in the best light, soft focus. It brightens my complexion without looking like highlighter. I have been kind of obsessed with soft focus makeup effects since I have researched old school techniques used on Marilyn Monroe who also had prominent features enhanced by a layer of Vaseline under her makeup to cast a soft focus effect. This may not work on everyone but it does for me. I like it.

on 1/22/2015 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders were extremely hyped up in the blogging world, and they seemed like the "dewy base" lovers powder. I waited a long time to get one, and continuously swatched the two I was umming and ahhing over in the store : Dim Light and Diffused Light and Dim Light. I was set on getting Diffused Light, but then when I looked at the swatch I was put of by some evident shimmers and glitter particles. When swatched in the store on my hand and face, Dim light was the perfect match, so I decided to purchase this one. Now at $59 dollars it is expensive. First the postive: this is the most beautiful packaging and feels so lovely, has a great closure and big mirror. But the negatives: Once I got home I was so excited to use it with the rest of my products, but unfortunately when I put it on it started to look really pink toned (and I have yellow toned skin). I can get away with it all over my face, except for my eye area. This product makes my eye area look diseased, it makes the redness in my eyes stand out. It also makes my bags worse even when I had already concealed them.
I thought this was going to be a transformative powder, making me look super glowy. But its not. It's good but its not incredible and definitely not a must have. I'll use it until it's finished but I won't repurchase it. I feel as though when things get glowing reviews, they often can't live up to the expectations. This was the case with these powders for sure. Dim Light was a let down for a product so highly reviewed. I would spend my money elsewhere (like on a Ambient Lighting Blush, or a Nars Light Reflecting Powder).

on 1/12/2015 10:00:00 PM

I love this product. It works really well on my skin tone. However, I have used this on friends when I have been doing their make-up and I notice it doesn't look terrific on everyone, particularly people that have skin that is perhaps a little more dry. It can make them look a little pasty and one of the more shimmery powders would be better.

I would recommend trying before you buy and I can see why there are mixed reviews around for this product, however I personally love it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I absolutely love this powder. It looks a little scary in the pan for super-pale people like me, but it works. First I apply my foundation, then I apply a bit of setting powder (usually Rimmel Stay Matte) to my face, concentrating on my oilest areas, and then I apply Hourglass over my entire face lightly. This sounds like it would be too much powder, but I promise you, it's not. My skin looks flawless and airbrushed every time; people have even commented on how good my skin looks. It really does make you look like you've been Photoshopped. I think the price is a bit ridiculous, but I would repurchase.

on 1/4/2015 1:24:00 AM

This product is probably one of my most unused makeup products and conisdering it was $45 that is pretty upsetting. Im not really sure what this i supposed to do because I have tried it as a setting powder, highlighter, and over my blush, but it does absolutely nothing for me. It is darker than my NC15 skin tone and comes off as an orangey glow. I'm extremely dissapointed with this product and I really dont understand all the hype.