April 18, 2014 | 1977 users online

Powder - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2014 8:17:00 PM More reviews by ekatt

I did not like this for my NC25 skin. The color showed up darker than my foundation and just sat there as an unflattering, peachy color. I really wanted to make this work, but I just don't think it would flatter fairer skin tones.

The finish is beautiful and this product really does give a 'blur' effect. I'm sure this looked better on some darker skintones. I do not recommend this for NC25 and paler ladies.
I will try this when I'm tan in the summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2014 4:25:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

I didn't expect much, but this powder is just amazing. I got the Dim Light in the palette Hourglass released over the holidays with three of the Ambient Lighting powders. Dim Light is by far my favorite, and I use it every day now. I think you have to work with these powders to figure out how they work for you, and also get the right shade. Dim Light is my every day finishing powder and Radiant Light for a bit of a warmth on my pale, ruddy complexion.

I have problem pores. Today I applied with a "problem" foundation I just want to use up. It was Cover Girl Clean Whipped foundation and when it turns to powder, you can see it just sitting there in my pores like little grains of salt. Dim Light completely smoothed all that out and you couldn't see the foundation or my pores. I was so impressed, I had to come on here and write a review even though this product's already been praised to the sky.

The effect is very subtle, but it really does give your makeup a refined, airbrushed look. Regardless of the foundation I use, as a last step I apply a thin veil of Dim Light. It blurs my pores to nothing and the setting powder and blush looks more blended and refined. It brings light to the planes of my face without being a highlighter, exactly.

Do you need it, or is it life changing? Of course not. It's worth depends how much you want to pay for the subtle effect. It would certainly be worth it to buy one to use on special occasions when you want just that little bit of refined glow. In that case, one compact would last you a lifetime. It's a luxury product, pure and simple.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by makeupaholic83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dim Light is one of the best pressed powders I've ever come across (trust me, I do come across lots of powders as I work in a cosmetic store!!!!)
It works amazing on fair to slightly tanned complexion. It gives you a subtle glow, it fills in pores and wrinkle and believe it or not, despite begin a translucent powder, it helps to camouflage skin tone imperfections.
If you haven't tried it yet, you should definitely try it!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by DeborahTX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Tried this after agonizing over 1) was it worth it, and 2) which color?! This product is very subtle. Not an in-your-face highlighter or powder so why the fuss? Well, it really is lovely. Extremely finely milled powder that makes you look subtly better. More radiant, more "perfect" but no one can really decide why. That's my kind of product! My only criticism/negative comment is that in the winter, I am quite fair, and Dim shows up as a bit pink on me. I know it will be absolutely perfect as I get a bit of color later in the spring.
Because this is so finely milled, it will last a tremendously long time. So perhaps that makes the cost worth it... if it were even $5 less, I'd probably purchase in a different shade for a comparison. But because the effect is so subtle, I don't think another $45 investment is worth a slightly different effect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 7:02:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

I've only used this twice but I hope my review will not be discredited. I was very hesitant purchasing Dim Light because I've seen numerous people with NC25-NC30 Asian skin tones who said that it did not do anything for them. I also heard that this powder can make your skin appear darker. I use MUFE HD in 120 Soft Sand which is a tad too light for my skin so my thinking was, it won't hurt if this powder added a darker tint. I absolutely freaking love this product. I haven't used it long enough to see if it lives up to its claim of blurring pores and imperfections but I can definitely see a beautiful sheen to my skin under various lightings. You probably won't notice a huge difference from afar but up close, it sits so beautifully on top of the skin. It's glowy but doesn't make me look like a disco ball like other luminizing products. It photographs okay but looks way better in person.

My favorite thing about this powder is that it doesn't cake up like other powders do especially around my nose. I've been avoiding powders recently just because it makes my face look flat and patchy but I can honestly say with this powder, I do not have this problem. If you're thinking about purchasing this, just go ahead and do it because there is just no other cheaper alternative that can compare.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by kropkipaski

Best one! Working amazing on m combination skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by kimmie578

Let me begin by saying I am pretty boring when it comes to make up. I like it, but don't experiement much and instead buy many variations of the same colors, you get the idea. I go for a clean and polished look. I also don't believe in miracle products or hyped products.

That being said, I had a gift card so decided to purchase this powder. For reference, I have light-med, warm toned skin. I applied this after my LM loose setting powder, and I use LM Silk Creme foundation. I don't know what kind of brush it is called, but I used a giant fluffy face brush to put on the Hourglass powder.

After I applied it, I thought my skin looked soft and glowy, but I figured it was my eyes tricking me into believing it was money well spent. But then I looked at myself in a different light and I could swear it looked like I was looking at myself through a thin veil or soft focus lens. My skin looked pretty flawless and dewy. But again, was still skeptical. What finally convinced me, though, was that I got some compliments on my skin, something that NEVER EVER happens, because, well, my skin is very unremarkable and average. Apparently, though, this powder does indeed liven it up a bit, as it is the only thing that has changed recently about my routine. Whenever I have received a compliment, it has also been when I was wearing Bobbi Brown Pale Pink blush, so maybe these two products work well together?

I would say the only light where this powder doesn't seem to make a difference is harsh daylight, but nothing will make my skin look good in that! I also use this powder to touch up midday, if I notice a bit of shine in my T-zone, I use this with the LM velour pouf.

The powder itself has no shimmer, sparkle, or any detectable sheen at all when swatched. I cannot speak for the other shades, but this one probably couldn't really be used as a highlighter if that is what you are looking for.

Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have beautiful skin, you probably don't need this powder. But, as a 35 year old, busy mom of two young children, I think my skin could use the pick me up. Yes, this powder is pricey, but you only need a small amount and I would think that with daily use, this compact could easily last at least a year. All in all, I am really pleased with this powder and can confirm that this product lives up to it's hype, at least in my experience.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by jennyyip

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff actually works!

After all the good reviews about the Ambient Lighting Powders, I finally decided to try it out. Dim Light sounded very appealing because it "blurs the skin and its imperfections."

At first, I applied it with a large powder brush from Sigma and I didn't really think much of it. It was just okay to me. It didn't really perform its stated purposes. Then, I decided to try it again with my Bobbi Brown face brush, which is less dense and whispier than the Sigma powder brush, and it went onto the skin really nicely! I noticed how it "blurred" my skin and made it look very flawless.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Gjones7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I too thought that this was a ridiculously priced powder, but honestly it makes your skin look flawless. When I pair this with nars sheer glow I feel so confident because my skin looks so naturally radiant. If you have slightly oily skin don't be put off this product, you simply need to use the smallest amount of mat tidying powder in the t-zone before applying this. Great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by lylalies

At first I thought I just bought an overhyped product, an expensive overhyped product by the way. I didn't see any difference in my skin, but kept using it because... why not? The texture is great, very soft, and it distributes nicely. But then, after a few weeks I realized that I was getting a lot of compliments on my skin. I went out to the supermarket the other day and the lady there described me as 'the girl with the beautiful skin', and yes, she was referring to me! This is the only thing I've been doing differently, not even my skin care has changed. So it has to be this. The results are very subtle, at least to me, but it does something that makes you look better! I know these powders are not setting powders, they are finishing powders, but I've been using it to set my foundation and it works good, but I have combination skin, meaning my annoying nose is greasy, the rest is normal. I'm very excited for the blushes that are coming out, if they are like these powders, they are going to be great!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No