The Body Shop MOISTURE WHITE SHISO CLEANSING OIL

4.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Caprylic/capric triglyceride, PEG-20 Glyceryl triisostearate, Isohexadecane, Glycine soja (soybean) oil, Water, Glyceryl behenate, Fragrance, Perilla ocymoides seed oil, Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, Butylphenyl methylpropional, Glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, Citric acid.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I was looking for an affordable cleansing oil and this fit the bill. Bought it during TBS's 40% off sale when you buy 4 items at the outlet. So, one bottle of 125ml ended up costing 9.60 (ca$), plus I had a 10% discount on top of that with their store membership card. Sweet. Keep the amount in mind though- 125ml of product is about half what you'd normally find elsewhere. Anyways, it comes out clear and very liquidy, at least not as thick as Tatcha's (which isn't that thick to begin with) cleansing oil. It also needed a bit more work to rub in and emulsify everything around my eyes, but didnt sting (YMMV). Not much of a fragrance to it at all, if anything I'd call it a light floral but barely noticeable. I agree with previous users in that the bottle packaging with the flip top cap sucks. Comparing it to their chamomile oil cleanser, I do like the Shiso one better and would not buy the chamomile one, as the chamomile never felt like it rinsed clean, but it seems like every store associate I see always says the chamomile oil is what they use and prefer. However the chamomile sumptuous cleansing balm is excellent...love love love it (I have both). I highly recommend getting samples from the store, as they will make for you samples of the cleansing balm and oils to try out at home.

on 10/29/2014 10:43:00 PM

This product is the most amazing cleansing product I've ever tried. Its gentle and not drying and i do believe as the packaging states, it dissolves my makeup. My skin didn't feel much different from using it as compared to other makeup removers, except that it's very gentle and does not irritate. However, the next day when woke up, i noticed a huge difference on my skin. As i wear makeup often, my skin is slightly clogged, and there were mini-raised bumps on the area around my nose. After using this remover for only one time, it has greatly removed my complexion. The bumps has almost completely disappeared! I think its because it really cleanses deep into your pores and removes the dirt and impurities there.
The only complaint i have is on the packaging as it has a nozzle where you have to upturn the bottle to pour the product out. As it is a oil based product, i feel that a pump would dispense the product most efficiently.
All in all this is a great product.

on 1/5/2014 1:06:00 PM

I'm really surprised there is only one review for this. I don't have a lot to add (I agree with everything the great review that previous reviewer wrote), in that this product is more cleansing and less drying than many of the other cleansing oils that I've used (namely Shu Uemura, but also Fancl and Lumene). I use this in the evening only - rubbing all over on dry skin to loosen up makeup and dirt. Although I find it cleanses fairly 'cleanly', I feel more comfortable following up with just a smidge of cleanser (whatever I have around) and then I'm good to go. It's a good bargain and one bottle has lasted me ages. I didn't give it 5 stars, only because I use a stubborn mascara that and this doesn't remove it 100%. But for someone with sensitive, clog-prone, reddish skin, I've been extremely happy with this stuff for well over a year now.

UPDATE: As far as I know, this has been discontinued. I now use The Body Shop's Chamomile Oil Cleanser, which I think is even superior to the Shiso.

on 1/31/2013 10:23:00 AM

I have tried DHC, MAC and Shiseido cleansing oils before and liked Shiseido the most. Because it is not as thick as DHC and not as runny as MAC. I observed that thicker cleansing oils can be drying, and hard to rinse off.

This one is thicker than Shiseido. So, I was disappointed at first but then I found a way to adjust its viscosity to my preference. First, I use less product: I use 2 pumps with Shisedio, but only 1.25 pumps with this one. I moved the product to the Shiseido pump bottle, so the comparisons are accurate.

Then I use a method a learned at Clarins web page for applying products, you can watch the videos yourself. I rub the product between my two hands to warm it up and melt it for a couple seconds. My palms and my fingers are covered with the product. Then I gently press, and then rub my hands to my face. This way, I can get only 1.25 pump of the product to cover my whole face easily. The result is not drying as using more product, and it is easier to rinse. I did not see any decrease in cleaning performance, but I only use it to remove sunscreen.

I follow with a very mild cleanser (Darphin milk) as I do with other cleaning oils. I did not read anything on "how to use" that requires two step cleaning for this product, but I still do, because I am acne prone. I should actually call it "one and a half" step cleaning. Because I use very little of the second cleanser, and apply it for a very short time.

I will be using this cleansing oil because it is the cheapest one I could get. I paid $9 a bottle at the body shop website. There is always some discount at the body shop website, and when I checked it was 40 percent.