September 2, 2014 | 1651 users online

Lipstick - Lime Crime - Retrofuturist

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 12:40:00 PM More reviews by zero347

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is very bright and not for the faint of heart. Not too pink nor too orange and could probably be worn by most skin tones. It is not super moisturizing, but not drying either and seems to have a stain component as it lasts even after eating. I experienced no bleeding or peeling of my lips even with no lipliner underneath. The product has a slight vanilla scent but nothing that would upset most people. (I have allergies myself and it did not bother me.) At $17.99 USD it was pricey for a lippie not from a name brand, but the packaging is sturdy and it doesn't feel like it will fall out of the case or anything like that. I LOVE the color and texture and would definitely repurchase if the product itself were the only concern.

Unfortunately....the company and its founder seem somewhat shady. I purchased my tube from a clothing site that also sold Lime Crime before I had read up on it, but when I did I was shocked by the negativity that surrounds the brand. Things on the internet need to be taken with a grain of salt because not all of it is true -but- the sheer amount of negative publicity definitely gives me pause. Even though I like the lipstick itself, I am unsure whether I can recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by LexMarie1991

I am an avid wearer of red lipstick, specifically vibrant shades. So when Retrofuturist was released, I had to order it. It is my favorite lipstick to date. Retrofuturist is the perfect balance of warm and cool undertones, making it the perfect, true bright red shade. The lipstick glides on nicely, is completely opaque, and lasts a long time. It even stains your lips so it never looks patchy. Lime Crime lipsticks also smell almost identical to MAC lipsticks, (only subtler), which I love. The packaging is amazing as well, very cute, very thought-out, and very to my personal taste.
My only complaint about this product now is that when I purchased it, it was $14.99 and in just a few years, the price has been hiked up to $18! (Not even including shipping!) I can't really justify it now, especially when MAC has such great lipsticks for less and I have multiple counters near my home so I never have to order them. I love Lime Crime lipsticks, but I just can't justify the price anymore. That being said, on seasonal sales, I probably wouldn't mind repurchasing them. Overall, it's still a great product and I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by ChristianChrissy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ive always been scared to wear RED lipstick (I'm 49 years young & it's time to get over myself!!).., i saw this brand on YouTube & bought this lipstick 'accidentally' (Off Amazon). I meant to buy the 'velveteen' lip gloss/stain & was going to exchange this lipstick wen it arrived 3 days later, the color was so awesome so I decided to keep it..but got a super fast reply & return postage label before I decided.. (No fuss & VERY FRIENDLY reply about returning it)...& so GLAD i decided to keep this awesome lipstick & awesome shade. It doesn't feather/bleed (I put skin-tone concealer on the outside of my lips & fill in my lips w a red pencil liner)...this lipstick is super creamy w super-saturated color payoff ... & it leaves a natural -looking stain for hours after the lipstick has worn off. I love it so much that I EVEN WEAR IT AT HOME WHEN I DON'T HAVE ANYPLACE TO GO!! I HIGHLY recommend this lipstick!! My skin is light olive (Hungarian parents ) & it really makes my teeth appear whiter ...& can't wait to have fun mixing it w other lipsticks to see how it looks! DEFINITELY A WINNER!! :D

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Reposting my initial review as there is now a Retrofuturist category. I tried to use it again before re-posting and I still feel the same way about it. I've also done more research on this company and they continue to do things to earn their bad reputation. The information is out there and I'd recommend everyone interested in this company take a look before purchasing. If you want bold and vegan lip colors, I'd recommend OCC lip tars.

Sigh, I should have listened to the warnings about this product.
I've been aware of the drama and controversy about this product, but when they had their Cyber Monday sale I said what the heck and bought a lipstick in Retrofuturist, having heard that this shade was less problematic than the others. If this is what the less problematic shades are like, I don't know how other people use the the more difficult shades.

Pros:
- Shipping was quick, but apparently if you're an international customer you may have your orders filled last during sales. My order was processed in a day and I received my package in two days after shipping.
- The packaging is nice and unique. The tube is really solid and the design is really nicely done, the holographic unicorn on the tube is heat stamped on. May not be everyone's favorite, but I think it's well executed.
- Pigmentation is unlike any other product I've used, very very intense.

Cons:
- Texture is difficult to work with, even though this is one of the best shades in that aspect apparently. I found even with exfoliation of my lips and delicate application that the texture was really drying and patchy. Even swatched on my hand it applied unevenly.
- The product is really delicate. The formula/way the bullet is set into the tube means any small move and the lipstick is going to snap off. Not something you'd expect at $16 a tube.
- These stain like crazy. If you wanted to ruin something permanently, getting Lime Crime lipsticks on them may do it. Even an initial swatch which was on my hand for no more than 5 seconds stained it. I'm really wary of any of this getting near my clothes.
- It smells odd. Apparently these are supposed to smell like vanilla. Mine doesn't smell like vanilla, which would be pleasant. Instead, it smells really synthetic and kind of sweet, like off brand candy that went through the wash. I can't compare it to any other lipstick I've used the smell is so different and unpleasant.

I went into buying Retrofuturist having done my research, thinking I was buying one of the best lipstick shades Lime Crime has to offer. I'd compare my experience to opening a beautifully wrapped Christmas present only to find the toy inside breaks within the first minute of playing with it. The marketing and packaging here is brilliant, the product is not. If you want to try this brand, do your research, know about the drama, and look at swatches from bloggers who aren't also Lime Crime affiliates who make $$$ off of referring people to their products. I was lucky enough to buy this on sale at $12 and I feel like that was far too expensive for how it performed. I feel like this is sub-par drug store lipstick in hipster shades in fairy packaging, too much image and hype for something that's mediocre in the end.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2013 11:35:00 AM More reviews by LadyMedb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My VERRRRRY favorite red lipstick! It is pigmented like WHOA and doesn't feather on me, at least not when I wear a lipliner. The shade is an insanely bold neon-red with enough blue that I can still wear it (I'm kind of a light olive, so oranges/warm reds make me green). It's overall a very forgiving shade for being so bright - it works on many of my friends too!

I was so upset when MAC and Urban Decay started getting shaky on their animal testing policy (and Victoria's Secret discontinued their original Showstopper shade), but in a way I'm grateful because it led me to this beautiful lipstick! The only thing I dislike about it is the tacky pink packaging, but it's solidly made, and I'm not wearing the tube, so whatever.

Definite HG material. I can recommend it to my vegan friends too! I know there's been some controversy around this company's business practices, but as far as I can tell, they stopped their BS, and I can't champion *all* the causes at once. So relieved to have found such a great product that's kind to animals!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by KeepFlyyingGirlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a generally nice red lipstick. It has a prominent blue undertone, but not so much that the lipstick starts to lose vibrancy. It has a sheen to it for the first few hours of wear that gives it a bit of a wet appearance, though it will gradually decline as the day goes on. It has an intense amount of pigment, two swipes will give you opacity without a lip liner, but I fully suggest using one as this lipstick definitely feathers without some sort of barrier around the lips. What's worse, is that if it does feather, it will stay there, as the lipstick is infused with this hot pink stain (so that if the lipstick does wear away, it fades more cohesively and less obviously). Frankly, I appreciate the idea behind the stain, but it can kinda become a nuisance should I want to take it off. Also, $16.00? That's quite a bit of money to be shelled out. Overall, it is a very lovely color and does have longevity, but the feathering with stain combo somewhat deters me from reaching for it when I want a red lip.