Reposting my initial review as there is now a Retrofuturist category. I tried to use it again before re-posting and I still feel the same way about it. I've also done more research on this company and they continue to do things to earn their bad reputation. The information is out there and I'd recommend everyone interested in this company take a look before purchasing. If you want bold and vegan lip colors, I'd recommend OCC lip tars.
Sigh, I should have listened to the warnings about this product.
I've been aware of the drama and controversy about this product, but when they had their Cyber Monday sale I said what the heck and bought a lipstick in Retrofuturist, having heard that this shade was less problematic than the others. If this is what the less problematic shades are like, I don't know how other people use the the more difficult shades.
- Shipping was quick, but apparently if you're an international customer you may have your orders filled last during sales. My order was processed in a day and I received my package in two days after shipping.
- The packaging is nice and unique. The tube is really solid and the design is really nicely done, the holographic unicorn on the tube is heat stamped on. May not be everyone's favorite, but I think it's well executed.
- Pigmentation is unlike any other product I've used, very very intense.
- Texture is difficult to work with, even though this is one of the best shades in that aspect apparently. I found even with exfoliation of my lips and delicate application that the texture was really drying and patchy. Even swatched on my hand it applied unevenly.
- The product is really delicate. The formula/way the bullet is set into the tube means any small move and the lipstick is going to snap off. Not something you'd expect at $16 a tube.
- These stain like crazy. If you wanted to ruin something permanently, getting Lime Crime lipsticks on them may do it. Even an initial swatch which was on my hand for no more than 5 seconds stained it. I'm really wary of any of this getting near my clothes.
- It smells odd. Apparently these are supposed to smell like vanilla. Mine doesn't smell like vanilla, which would be pleasant. Instead, it smells really synthetic and kind of sweet, like off brand candy that went through the wash. I can't compare it to any other lipstick I've used the smell is so different and unpleasant.
I went into buying Retrofuturist having done my research, thinking I was buying one of the best lipstick shades Lime Crime has to offer. I'd compare my experience to opening a beautifully wrapped Christmas present only to find the toy inside breaks within the first minute of playing with it. The marketing and packaging here is brilliant, the product is not. If you want to try this brand, do your research, know about the drama, and look at swatches from bloggers who aren't also Lime Crime affiliates who make $$$ off of referring people to their products. I was lucky enough to buy this on sale at $12 and I feel like that was far too expensive for how it performed. I feel like this is sub-par drug store lipstick in hipster shades in fairy packaging, too much image and hype for something that's mediocre in the end.
My VERRRRRY favorite red lipstick! It is pigmented like WHOA and doesn't feather on me, at least not when I wear a lipliner. The shade is an insanely bold neon-red with enough blue that I can still wear it (I'm kind of a light olive, so oranges/warm reds make me green). It's overall a very forgiving shade for being so bright - it works on many of my friends too!
I was so upset when MAC and Urban Decay started getting shaky on their animal testing policy (and Victoria's Secret discontinued their original Showstopper shade), but in a way I'm grateful because it led me to this beautiful lipstick! The only thing I dislike about it is the tacky pink packaging, but it's solidly made, and I'm not wearing the tube, so whatever.
Definite HG material. I can recommend it to my vegan friends too! I know there's been some controversy around this company's business practices, but as far as I can tell, they stopped their BS, and I can't champion *all* the causes at once. So relieved to have found such a great product that's kind to animals!
This is a generally nice red lipstick. It has a prominent blue undertone, but not so much that the lipstick starts to lose vibrancy. It has a sheen to it for the first few hours of wear that gives it a bit of a wet appearance, though it will gradually decline as the day goes on. It has an intense amount of pigment, two swipes will give you opacity without a lip liner, but I fully suggest using one as this lipstick definitely feathers without some sort of barrier around the lips. What's worse, is that if it does feather, it will stay there, as the lipstick is infused with this hot pink stain (so that if the lipstick does wear away, it fades more cohesively and less obviously). Frankly, I appreciate the idea behind the stain, but it can kinda become a nuisance should I want to take it off. Also, $16.00? That's quite a bit of money to be shelled out. Overall, it is a very lovely color and does have longevity, but the feathering with stain combo somewhat deters me from reaching for it when I want a red lip.