Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for eyes

3.8

on 2/16/2015 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Cream eyeshadow is by far my favorite kind of makeup product to buy, so of course I had to pick this up. I'm really surprised by the amount of bad reviews because I don't think it's that bad, but perhaps the shades are inconsistent. I have this in "Whopping Willow", which is a subtly shimmery khaki color. The formula is very smooth and creamy with the finish being slightly powdery. The lasting power is great too, staying all day without creasing or fading. The pigmentation is where it's not great. No matter how much I build it up, it doesn't show up very nicely. I think it's just the shade I have because I have seen lovely swatches of other ones. But all in all, it's a decent eyeshadow. I would recommend it if you want something subtle, but I wouldn't repurchase because I think there are much better cream eyeshadows, many that are even in the drugstore. But if you like the formula to this but thought the pigment sucked, I think you'd love the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks. Expensive, but lovely.

My sister-in-law gave me this eye stick in color Bountiful Beige/01. I really like it a lot. It is a very very light off-white (not beige really, but it's prettier than beige) wash of color, perfect for an easy all-over shade, a base or an inner corner color. It is super easy to apply - glides on well and feels comfortable. It does remain a tiny bit tacky but does not wear off (though, I never have oily lids or an issue with shadows not staying)... i could see this leading to liner printing up on the upper lids for some.

on 1/22/2015 3:49:00 AM

I am surprised with all the bad reviews here, but then I only own one color, #15, The Biggest Blossom. This is an orangey-pink which has enough pigmentation and does show up nicely on my lids. I agree with the other reviewers that this isn`t the easiest to blend shade, but then I just apply up to the socket and use another shade to blend the socket, so it hasn`t been a major issue. This color lasted on me, and I`m surprised, because I`ve used no primer and I do have oily lids. The issues I have are 1) So hard to apply, you have to drag the stick pretty hard, which is never a pleasant sensation. and 2) The packaging is cheap, and once you`ve used half the product that stick just jiggles back into its tube which makes application that much harder.

on 1/1/2015 1:51:00 PM

I have this in Curvaceous Coal, and it honestly just doesn't get that dark, even when I layer it. It fades even more when I try to blend it. Maybe I'm just not using it properly? It makes me look like I have two black eyes.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I got the trial size version of the new Chubby Stick in the shade Bountiful Beige and I was SO excited to try it out I swore if it was the pigmented shimmery beige color I have always been looking for I would purchase the full size version of it.
Well, the expectations were a huge let down...
First off, this felt really dry when I tried to drag it over my eyelids. The beige color was non existent, this just left a trail of transparent shimmer over my eyelids and no beige color. When I finally managed to build the color to a light beige tone, I tried to blend it out and it dissapeared.
I didn't want to lose faith with it so I used over primer too, same result.
I am so dissapointed and highly suggest you save your money and find better quality shadow sticks out there :(

on 8/14/2014 2:29:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

It's really hard to write a review for this because I have four shades, and I love Fuller Fudge (bronze/brown) and Mighty Moss (dark, moss green). I have mixed feelings about Lavish Lilac (cool-toned lilac) and I seriously hate Pink & Plenty (sheer pink with gold shimmers).

I would give the Fuller Fudge and Mighty Moss 5 stars because they have excellent staying power and they transfer on to the lids smoothly. I used these when I was travelling in the Middle East under scorching hot weather and they did not budge. They only faded after the 8th hour mark, which is a long time! Blending them out also wasn't that hard.

I would give the Lavish Lilac 3/5 because on my lids it looks rather greyish, and requires a few layers to be opaque.

The Pink & Plenty is the worst, I don't even want to rate it. The color swatched beautifully on my hand but once I tried applying on my lids, the color did not show up at all, no matter how many layers I did.

One thing I really didn't like about this is the packaging. The bullet of all four chubby sticks slid out and is impossible to secure it back in.

More details and swatches can be found on my blog beautybucketeer.blogspot.com

on 7/26/2014 8:13:00 PM

I have tried 2 different colors -- orchid and lilac. There just isn't enough pigment or something cause the color doesn't pop. For $17 each I expect something great. It is really easy to put on and take off -- just not enough color.

on 7/16/2014 5:17:00 PM

I have this in ample amber. I was looking for something quick to put all over my lids that would have good staying power. The color is ugly, a very metallic peachy copper. Staying power is fair (2-3 hours), and it is awkward to apply so it isn't quick. It is better than the smoothie but I won't even bother trying it in another color because the staying power isn't enough for me.

on 6/11/2014 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought one during the last Sephora sale and I thought this would be perfect to join my arsenal of shadows. It tugged on my eyes and reminded of the MAC Shadesticks. I will stick with Laura Mercier for now. I will not repurchase.

on 4/13/2014 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Awful performance and pigment! I bought this in "lavish lilac" for quick and easy shadow application. It has almost no pigment. When I try to layer more on, it smears and doesn't define anything. I'm VERY pale, so it says a lot that it doesn't show up! It also doesn't last long, isn't flattering for my hazel eyes and yellow tone (purpley grey usually is) and strangely irritated my eyes. The best shadow sticks I've found are Marcelle in Canada- so pigmented, easy to blend and long-wearing. Just wish there were more shades. Urban Decay version I like also, but dried out for me and was hard to blend. Too bad, Chubby Stick, big fail for me!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Drug Store VS High End: NEW Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint VS Revlon Color Stay Shadow Stick by MySouthernAccent