July 23, 2014 | 1860 users online

Fragrances - Byredo Black Saffron

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by izzybella

EDIT 7/1/14: I have to update this review because Black Saffron has really grown on me the last week or so. It's definitely sweet and fruity, with a little something dark and mysterious to prevent it from being too cloying. Very unique and I'm considering buying a bottle. I wish it were a little more long-lasting though.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Ugh! I loved the opening notes - kinda fruity (citrus, berries and rose) but almost instantly some woodsy notes show up and it ruins it for me. I guess I should've known this wouldn't be the fragrance for me, since it's described as an oriental, which I usually don't like.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Let me start by mentioning that I am quite a fan of the Byredo line. The line has some very unique, interesting niche fragrances, relatively hard to find and complex in their composition. Not to forget their beautiful bottles - see uploaded stock picture - that are just a joy to look at and use. Furthermore, I would like to disclose that I really enjoy most anything "saffron" - it is simply a delectable note to my nose. So I had high expectations for Byredo's Black Saffron. This fragrance was introduced in 2012.
Notes: Grapefruit, juniper berry, raspberry, violet, rose, saffron, leathery notes.
Impression of the fragrance: I would describe Black Saffron as a spicy fragrance with a leathery background. It reminded me a lot of Tom Ford's (now discontinued) White Suede. I can detect mostly rose and leather, but, surprisingly, and sadly, no saffron to speak of! Just a faint hint in all the leather and overall I find Black Saffron quite masculine and not in a good way. I tried to love this and used a generous sample of Black Saffron, but this is not for me. Which is good for my wallet, because the Byredo line is expensive, but my search for a saffron fragrance continues. L'Artisan's Safran Troublant is nice but disappointingly fleeting on me, it lasts barely a few hours.
Price: $220 for 3.4 oz/100ml.