April 16, 2014 | 1513 users online

Fragrances - Van Cleef & Arpels - Un Air de First

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by A88A

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received a small spray vial of this in Paris last summer and didn't give it much thought. Why create a flanker to an 80s aldehyde powerhouse in 2011? Since I quickly ran through my travel-sized fragrance I brought with me, I gave Un Air de First a whirl, expectations low. Holy galbanum, Batman! I love galbanum, especially the galbanum in Maison Martin Margiela's Untitled. In addition to this heavenly green sweetness, I get a soft jasmine and understated, effervescent aldehyde combo, with a touch of light, ethereal musk. Color me surprised! It falls in the SFW category; not exactly avant garde, but what do you expect from VC&A? Nevertheless, it's got *something*, and that something is mighty nice. It's perfect for someone like me, who likes a touch of aldehydes, but not the shoulder pad aldehydes of No. 5, Arpège, or the original First. I started hoarding the little spray vial, feverishly watching it dwindle. I hate paying retail for flankers, as I almost always end up seeing them at Marshall's or some similar outlet for a fraction of the original cost. I've trolled all the discount stores to no avail. Neiman Marcus no longer carries it online, so I bit the bullet and bought the 3.3 oz size from Saks. I fear that this may be discontinued very soon, and that's a shame. It seems that it was never widely distributed, so it may never even make an appearance at US discount stores. One can only wonder if this would have done better as an original fragrance in its own right, and not simply a flanker to a fragrance of days gone by. We may never know.