July 28, 2014 | 1246 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - High Dimension Hair Color [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2009 6:07:00 AM More reviews by arikabh

The cool toned black was my favorite color ever! It was so silky and dark. I was so pissed when this was discontinued. A mistake by Revlon for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2009 11:44:00 PM More reviews by trinkket

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been coloring my hair at home for, oh, 15+ yrs. At first I just liked the oomph it gave my fine,thin hair, then I began to recognize the gray it was covering!
    I had no problems, until I decided to try an auburn color. Right off, I could see there was no subtle auburn shade available from any company. Everything was just TOO red.
    So I decided to experiment and bought two colors (auburn and med brown) of Gaurnier (I think, it was so long ago). I just bought two pkgs and mixed half and half the color tubes into the stabilizing/whatever tube.
    That worked pretty well for a long time. When I heard there was a 10 minute color I jumped all over it, and tried Revlons High Dimension. I've used it many, many times, since, mixing auburn and brown colors. I've even tried mixing 3 colors in an attempt to find my perfect blend, at home.
    The only complaint I could have is that the reddish colors are very sun sensitive, and turn copperish, if you are outside much. But I think that's probably true for every brand of reds.
    Overall, I love this product! And I have bought more, since it seems hard to find. Has it been dropped by Revlon? Is there anything better?
    And has anyone else experimented with blending hair color at home?

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2009 3:49:00 AM More reviews by SaturdayStevens

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried this a few years ago. Do they even make this anymore? I bought one that was a different shade than both my natural color and my color at the time. After the 10(!?!) minutes was up and I followed all the direction, it pretty much made no difference in my hair color. With no noticeable results, it was a waste of time and money.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2007 9:09:00 AM More reviews by BaronessaGinevra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wish I could select "maybe" on the last question. I had a mixed experience with this product. While I love the idea of only ten minutes to develop the color, I think the reality might not quite be there yet. But Revlon's close. One suggestion for potential users of this stuff - don't go by the name of the color, go by the color representation on the package. To me, "light red brown" - well, it shouldn't be as dark as what I'm looking at on the box, though I do like the color I see.

The Good: Nice packaging, great gloves, amazing conditioner, if a bit more perfumed than I care for. Plenty of product, I usually don't have any hair color left but I had more than enough product.

The Bad: This stuff is strong - the odor is more obnoxious than most other home hair colors I've used. I also felt it tingling at my scalp, it wasn't overwhelming but I did notice it, something I've not felt with other products. If you have sensitive skin I definitely recommend the patch test. I will reserve judgment on the color for the moment; I used Light Red Brown (Copper Sparks #67) and. like most shades, it's darker for the first couple of days and then it reaches the final color.

I wanted to work quickly because I figured this stuff was potent. Here's how I applied this to my shoulder-length hair- parted my hair down the middle, started running lines of the product from front to back, spaced about 1/4" apart. Stuck to the root area. Did this around my face in sections, alternating from side to side. I set the timer for 10 minutes. Then I applied to the back of my head. I took the two "pony tail" ends and applied product by first squirting it into my gloved hand and then working it into my hair. I reapplied a bit more to the root area near my temples. Finally I piled the ends onto the top of my head. The timer hadn't gone off yet but my hair was starting to look pretty dark, I think I had 3-4 minutes left, so I decided to rinse.

I would recommend this to people who have lots of home hair coloring experience.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2007 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Cookie1986

I used the lightest blonde shade. This was a few years ago but i remember it was the worst one I have ever used!! It made my scalp itch and smelled bad (which is to be expected and isn't anything unusual) the color came out a pale blonde but was waaayyyy too yellow! i was embarassed to go out. but then i did go to the mall and this hot guy from school whistled at me (i know it was my hair because he never noticed me before) but the color was just too loud, too yellow, and too fake looking.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2007 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Laudes

I' m surprised by the VERY mixed reviews posted on HIGH DIMENSION haircolor. It replaced my discontinued (former) favorite like 5 years ago; of all the brands I tried in finding a replacement, HD is - by FAR- the best.
    I'm a PPP but this natural color medium-to-light blonde hair is too golden for my cool complexion, so I dye (#01) to get it ashier, not lighter. HD does exactly that, & has so much other good stuff, too:
    1.) LOTS of other formulas I've tried burn & itch on your head, but HD feels fine on me, & also smells MUCH nicer than the other brands I've used, sort of a light "beauty salon" scent. Though a number of MUAers' reviews of HD mention getting an irritated scalp & a bad/strong scent, maybe it's that this differs from shade to shade?
    2.) The conditioner included with HD is CRAZY great - absolutely the best conditioner I've EVER used, period!! I have "problem" hair: naturally dry, fine, "poufy" - & it always comes out of coloring with other brands even worse- like tangled straw, AND still dry, frizzy, etc... But it's ridiculously silky, shiny, soft, bouncy, after I use HD! I'd buy the conditioner by the case if they sold it separately (they DON'T, do they???).
    3.) The box says "10 Minutes," and they MEAN it: 10 minutes & the color is DONE. So unless you WANT it to come out stronger, darker, lighter, redder, whatever, watch that timer! (I once accidentally left it on for 30 minutes, and my hair came out notably lighter & ashier-blonde, but just as beautifully conditioned as usual!)

Of course, now REVLON's discontinuing its HIGH DIMENSION line!?! I ran straight to eBay & bought 7 boxes of it! But come Sept. it's back to experimenting, yet again, to replace it. (Don't you HATE it when your favorite, PERFECT beauty item's just suddenly discontinued?? Yeeesh!)

Okay, SO: HIGH DIMENSION: only 10 minutes; great color; smelled & felt nice, and the conditioner gave you hair-model hair after you color - & with all that to recommend it... it'll soon be gone!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2006 11:59:00 PM More reviews by parsonsperson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, to be fair, I did not do a strand test, which they recommend. I wish I had, because my hair is a lot darker than I was counting on. I used the Autumn color, and my hair seems much darker than the model on the box. I've had this happen before with other dyes and they fade in a few weeks to something I like, so I'm not freaking out too much, but I'm also vowing to do the strand test from now on. Seriously. On the upshot, my hair is soft and shiny.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2006 12:15:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just used this last night so it's an early review, but I'll update later. I used Red Hot Browns Copper Sparks (Light Red Brown). Application was easy - it wasn't too runny or too thick. It processes VERY quickly (10 min) which is nice for me because then I'm not stuck in the bathroom for an hour and a half (I always strand test first). I could feel it on my scalp but it wasn't bad at all. Honestly, I've used the Ion developer for sensitive scalp, and that made my scalp burn and sting worse than any DS dye I've used. Anyway, the smell was kinda strong but definitely not the worst I've encountered. And I expect haircolor to smell bad, so I don't really care about that. I was surprised at how soft and un-tangled my hair felt after I rinsed out the dye! Usually my hair feels like a tangly, straw-like mess until I put the conditioner on, but not this time! I rinsed and then applied the Conditioning Color Glaze. I thought I'd end up having to use a regular post-dye conditioner after b/c I didn't really see how that could condition THAT well, but it made my hair just as soft as my Feria conditioner! And I know I'll have enough glaze for at least 6 weeks, using once a week. After rinsing and drying, I was shocked to see that my color matches the color on the box almost exactly! It IS a somewhat darker brown; I'd say somewhere between medium and dark. But, it'll definitely lighten with washings and I expected it to be dark anyway. I'd hate to see what Dark Red Brown would have turned out like though! So my hair is a rich red/coppery/brown color AND it's softer than before I dyed it. Can't go wrong with that! I'll update as it fades.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2006 12:53:00 AM More reviews by satinsheets

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

So I went to Ulta and realized my pitch black hair was showings its roots again. I currently have it a medium chocolately brown with maybe a few tiny bits of highlights. I wanted an all over hair color so I picked Moonstruck, it says a dark blonde on the box. I had it on for 12 minutes and now my hair looks even but I'll wait until the color sets in a few days. I'm liking it though it's showing up brown still though.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2006 7:44:00 PM More reviews by forjacqui

After having my naturally dark brown hair dyed blonde and highlighted for a year, I was ready for a change. I love the blonde but it was too high maintenance and too expensive. I didn't want to go back to my usual dark brown self so I decided that I wanted to do an auburn brown type of color. I was real hesitant on doing it myself but decided that I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ to go to my hair salon and have them do it for me. After buying several hair dyes including Feria and debating how the color would come out on my blonde hair, I decided to buy the high dimnesion red hot browns in Dark Red Brown Sizzling Sherry (Color 47). I had my girlfriend come over and dye it for me and let me tell you it's true this stuff works in 10 minutes. The conditioning glaze that comes with the dye made my dry processed hair soft and silky and the tube is big enough to last for six weeks if you use the glaze once a week as noted to keep the color vibrant. As for the color, it's a little darker than on the box and not as auburn as I would have hoped but it does look nice. You can notice the auburn in the sun but other than that it looks pretty much dark brown. I was a little hesistant to buy the medium red brown since my hair was so blonde and I didn't want the color to come out Ronald McDonald red but I think I may try the medium red brown next time. I did have a little of the dye run out of my hair when I washed it 2 days after I had initially dyed it but it wasn't much. The price was $10 which isn't horrible but it isn't the cheapest. I would definitely reccomend this product but might suggest going one shade lighter to get the effect you want so if you want dark brown go medium brown.