November 22, 2014 | 1878 users online

Polishes - OPI - Liquid Sand: Stay the Night

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my second foray into the whole "liquid sand" thing. This polish is a black jelly filled with bright red-pink glitter. It goes on smooth, like any other glitter-in-jelly polish, but as it dries, the base becomes more and more contracted, leaving the glitter (and other particles, which are the same colour as the base) as texture. This is very easy to apply, and the formula is good. I initially used two coats, but one coat over a black base actually works somewhat better for me.

When dry, the black base has a sort of semi-matte effect, I guess. I don't care much for the finish, to be honest. To me, the black looks sort of plasticky, or gummy, or maybe waxy, and not really matte at all.The texture is okay, if you don't mind that sort of thing (but if you do, you should probably keep away from textured polishes, anyway). I tried to like the look of this polish just on its own, but I just didn't, and I ended up putting on a shiny top coat (I used INM Out the Door because it's what I had on hand). The top coat fixed my issues with the odd, plastic-look base, but, of course, some of the texture was lost, although not all of it, so the now-shiny surface had a slightly uneven look. Some experimentation with this polish has shown me that to get a smooth surface you really need more than one layer of top coat. I had good results using a plain, clear polish followed by a high-gloss top coat (though a quick dry top coat would also have worked). I must admit, I like this polish MUCH better with shiny top coat, which kinda sucks, because it adds that much extra work to a manicure, and it kinda defeats the purpose of a textured polish.

The actual colours are really pretty, I think. The red glitter stands up very well to the dark base, although the overall polish is still quite dark. It reminds me more than a little of China Glaze Lubu Heels, but more sparkly, with more visible glitter, and, obviously, with the textured surface.

I will note that this is easy to remove, despite the glitter (this is only true if you haven't put on top coat, though). I should also note that the glitter tends to get EVERYWHERE on removal.

As much as I love dark, vampy polishes, particularly with red glitter, I can't see myself wearing this as a full manicure. It does make an interesting accent nail, though, teamed with black or with red, or with the aforementioned Lubu Heels.

So, overall, this is a kind of interesting polish, but not something I love. I'm really not that keen on it, despite how pretty it looks with sufficient top coating. I understand it's a limited edition, but even if it weren't, I wouldn't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by natmc13

This is a gorgeous unique nail varnish.The pink in the black makes it stand out. I tend to paint my nails black or pink and use this just on one nail (usually the one next to my little finger) x

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by avaqadore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is from the Mariah Carey OPI collection, and one of the four introductory Liquid Sands. Out of those four, this is the standout and the one to own if you can find it.

It took two coats to get the full coverage I wanted, and it dried quickly which is nice since a top coat ruins the effect. With the black and the glitter, it honestly looks like coal with some burning embers. Lovely effect! Almost my favorite Liquid Sand polish so far (the favorite would be Tiffany Case from the Bond girls collection).

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by Trillstayovoxo13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This polish is a pretty color. I love the textured craze and I wish I could put in a shine top coat without defeating the purpose. I hate the removal because its like glitter when you have to take it off. The dry time also is very long for me. I barely wear it and I'd buy it again in a different color. Even another brand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this! Am enjoying the new textured-polish craze & this is my latest purchase. All winter I've been wanting a black base with fuchsia glitter that sparkles through & Forever21's version failed (too much black, fuchsia glitter hardly visible). Finally OPI comes out with this version - personally I'm not a Mariah Carey fan but I love this shade. Funny, I've heard the glitter color described anywhere from fuchsia to red to purple (!?) but to me it looks fuchsia (or magenta, if you like). I love how the black texture dries matte yet the colored glitter sparkles through. Looking forward to wearing it shiny w/topcoat in the future, but right now I'm loving the matte texture trend. I would buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/17/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by cpkgirl1116

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This polish looks so pretty in the bottle. Black liquid sand w/red glitter. Being a Mariah fan & the Ulta associate raving over the polish, I got it. The liquid sand effect doesnt really give nails much of a sheen since top coat isnt needed, but it was too opaque & matte looking for me. It reminded me of asphalt w/red sparkles. But I do love Sprung & The Impossible from the Mariah collection.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/12/2013 2:05:00 AM More reviews by Lankaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For some reason I don't feel like Mariah had anything to do with actually choosing the colors in her line nor do I feel she would ever wear them....... But that's besides the point. Matte. Sparkle. Bumpy to the touch. That's two too many gimmicks in my polish!! I can handle matte. I can handle sparkle. But rough too?!? And all three together!?!? No way. If you want to make it shiny and smooth you can put three - yes three!- coats of topcoat..... I say don't bother! This trend won't last half of the time that the shatter polish did.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 9:11:00 PM More reviews by hiscrazydiamond

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm pretty much in love, this amazed me the way the glitter flecks show through. I found it to be a lil distracting, cause i just wanted to keep looking at it all day. It took three coats to get an opaque finish which made it quite thick and chipped/peeled easily. That's the down side. The texture didn't bother me at all. Its no different than that of a glitter polish. Not a Mariah fan, but adore this polish, despite its lack of longevity.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by liews

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I like the interesting texture of the product. Though it can be difficult to apply as its matte (chunky and all..) but i really like the finish. Actually i like it more when few days has passed and some of the pink glitter in it fades and become silver, the nail polish colour just got more special hahaha.

Staying power is good, it doesn't chip (95% of my nail polish chip on me), just wears off at tips in few days, naturally. That also means removal is slower, hee.

I like :D

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 8:09:00 AM More reviews by skittytan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not a huge fan of Mariah's but DAYUMMM!!!! Girl knows good polish!!! I'm totally smitten by Stay The Night!! Color is perfect!! Slighty vampy with little flecks of red glitter peeking out just to give it a little burlesque-esque feel. The texture is AWESOME!! Not at all like otheer chunky glitter polishes, this one has an interesting feel to it. Couldnt stop touching my nails. Takes 3 coats for full coverage. Excellent product!