OPI Liquid Sand: Stay the Night

on 12/17/2014 4:20:00 AM

I bought this polish by mistake. Even though it had Liquid Sand printed all over the cap, at the time of the purchase I didn't know what it meant. So as a result I was mighty disappointed when instead of what I saw in the bottle (shiny black jelly with beautiful red glitter), I got rough, grey surface with matt finish and red glitter. I kept painting extra coats on, in hope that it somehow would get better, but it didn't. The bottle suggested using it without top coat, but I prefer it with. I tried using another reviewers' suggestion to pile on the top coat, which should even out the surface and give the varnish shiny look, but I gave up after the 3rd coat. Yes it did improve it, but that's the length I am not prepared to go for any nail polish. In the end I grew to except it for what it was, rather than what I wanted it to be. I have noticed that OPI brought out a non Liquid Sand, shiny version of this polish in their Coca-Cola collection, called Today I Accomplished Zero, but judging by the reviews on MUA, it's not much better.

on 10/24/2013 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my second foray into the whole "liquid sand" thing. This polish is a black jelly filled with bright red-pink glitter. It goes on smooth, like any other glitter-in-jelly polish, but as it dries, the base becomes more and more contracted, leaving the glitter (and other particles, which are the same colour as the base) as texture. This is very easy to apply, and the formula is good. I initially used two coats, but one coat over a black base actually works somewhat better for me.

When dry, the black base has a sort of semi-matte effect, I guess. I don't care much for the finish, to be honest. To me, the black looks sort of plasticky, or gummy, or maybe waxy, and not really matte at all.The texture is okay, if you don't mind that sort of thing (but if you do, you should probably keep away from textured polishes, anyway). I tried to like the look of this polish just on its own, but I just didn't, and I ended up putting on a shiny top coat (I used INM Out the Door because it's what I had on hand). The top coat fixed my issues with the odd, plastic-look base, but, of course, some of the texture was lost, although not all of it, so the now-shiny surface had a slightly uneven look. Some experimentation with this polish has shown me that to get a smooth surface you really need more than one layer of top coat. I had good results using a plain, clear polish followed by a high-gloss top coat (though a quick dry top coat would also have worked). I must admit, I like this polish MUCH better with shiny top coat, which kinda sucks, because it adds that much extra work to a manicure, and it kinda defeats the purpose of a textured polish.

The actual colours are really pretty, I think. The red glitter stands up very well to the dark base, although the overall polish is still quite dark. It reminds me more than a little of China Glaze Lubu Heels, but more sparkly, with more visible glitter, and, obviously, with the textured surface.

I will note that this is easy to remove, despite the glitter (this is only true if you haven't put on top coat, though). I should also note that the glitter tends to get EVERYWHERE on removal.

As much as I love dark, vampy polishes, particularly with red glitter, I can't see myself wearing this as a full manicure. It does make an interesting accent nail, though, teamed with black or with red, or with the aforementioned Lubu Heels.

So, overall, this is a kind of interesting polish, but not something I love. I'm really not that keen on it, despite how pretty it looks with sufficient top coating. I understand it's a limited edition, but even if it weren't, I wouldn't buy it again.

on 9/26/2013 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a gorgeous unique nail varnish.The pink in the black makes it stand out. I tend to paint my nails black or pink and use this just on one nail (usually the one next to my little finger) x

on 8/13/2013 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is from the Mariah Carey OPI collection, and one of the four introductory Liquid Sands. Out of those four, this is the standout and the one to own if you can find it.

It took two coats to get the full coverage I wanted, and it dried quickly which is nice since a top coat ruins the effect. With the black and the glitter, it honestly looks like coal with some burning embers. Lovely effect! Almost my favorite Liquid Sand polish so far (the favorite would be Tiffany Case from the Bond girls collection).

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This polish is a pretty color. I love the textured craze and I wish I could put in a shine top coat without defeating the purpose. I hate the removal because its like glitter when you have to take it off. The dry time also is very long for me. I barely wear it and I'd buy it again in a different color. Even another brand.

on 5/2/2013 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Love this! Am enjoying the new textured-polish craze & this is my latest purchase. All winter I've been wanting a black base with fuchsia glitter that sparkles through & Forever21's version failed (too much black, fuchsia glitter hardly visible). Finally OPI comes out with this version - personally I'm not a Mariah Carey fan but I love this shade. Funny, I've heard the glitter color described anywhere from fuchsia to red to purple (!?) but to me it looks fuchsia (or magenta, if you like). I love how the black texture dries matte yet the colored glitter sparkles through. Looking forward to wearing it shiny w/topcoat in the future, but right now I'm loving the matte texture trend. I would buy this again.

on 4/17/2013 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This polish looks so pretty in the bottle. Black liquid sand w/red glitter. Being a Mariah fan & the Ulta associate raving over the polish, I got it. The liquid sand effect doesnt really give nails much of a sheen since top coat isnt needed, but it was too opaque & matte looking for me. It reminded me of asphalt w/red sparkles. But I do love Sprung & The Impossible from the Mariah collection.

on 3/12/2013 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

For some reason I don't feel like Mariah had anything to do with actually choosing the colors in her line nor do I feel she would ever wear them....... But that's besides the point. Matte. Sparkle. Bumpy to the touch. That's two too many gimmicks in my polish!! I can handle matte. I can handle sparkle. But rough too?!? And all three together!?!? No way. If you want to make it shiny and smooth you can put three - yes three!- coats of topcoat..... I say don't bother! This trend won't last half of the time that the shatter polish did.

I'm pretty much in love, this amazed me the way the glitter flecks show through. I found it to be a lil distracting, cause i just wanted to keep looking at it all day. It took three coats to get an opaque finish which made it quite thick and chipped/peeled easily. That's the down side. The texture didn't bother me at all. Its no different than that of a glitter polish. Not a Mariah fan, but adore this polish, despite its lack of longevity.

on 3/7/2013 11:34:00 AM

I like the interesting texture of the product. Though it can be difficult to apply as its matte (chunky and all..) but i really like the finish. Actually i like it more when few days has passed and some of the pink glitter in it fades and become silver, the nail polish colour just got more special hahaha.

Staying power is good, it doesn't chip (95% of my nail polish chip on me), just wears off at tips in few days, naturally. That also means removal is slower, hee.

I like :D