November 22, 2014 | 860 users online

Treatments (Face) - Silk Naturals - Mama's Helper Serum

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 4:05:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This serum would be so great if it wasn't sooo drying. After use my was face so dry and tight. I tried using a moisturizer on top but it still wasn't enough. My skin is dehydrated combo/oily in the summer months.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 1:42:00 AM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a big fan of Silk Naturals and when I saw this had the highest percentage of vitamin C of any product they carry, I went ahead and ordered a full-size bottle. Unfortunately, I don't like this a whole lot, especially when compared to Awesome Sauce, my current fave. As a lot of people have mentioned, it's actually quite drying. I can sometimes go with only Awesome Sauce at night and not get dried out, but this doesn't allow for the same. In fact, I've put another serum over this to add a little moisture, and my skin still feels dry in the morning (although not as dry as if I hadn't put the extra serum on). This is specifically supposed to help with hyperpigmentation, hence the high concentration of vitamin C, so it might be effective for those who have it and need an extra high concentration of vitamin C. I totally don't, however, so I'm going to stick with my Awesome Sauce.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by lailaface

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I tried a sample of this, I always woke up with skin that was uneven-toned and splotchier. It didn't help my breakouts at all. It leaves a very sticky feel and does not work well with liquid or powder makeup. What a disappointment. :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The ingrediants looked good and it didnt clog me so this is the reason i am giving it a 3, however i cant get past the extreme tight feeling and flakiness.

Not for my skin type, but i can see this working for someone with oily skin

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is still an early review..been about a week but I did just order a full size of this! Here is what I wrote about my initial impressions on the SCB:
this stuff is DRYING and I have combo skin and don't usually have this problem but I definitely have tightness and flaking. However, I am willing to deal with this b/c with moisturizer I think it could be ok. Sometimes my skin needs time to adjust as well. (I do feel it has..no more flaking just tightness)

The main reason I am still hopeful is I have been searching for an AOX / vitamin C product that doesn't clog me and so far so good with this. Most things clog my skin very quickly and I have tried countless vit c. and MAP products and have always gotten cysts or clogs/ irritation breakouts. This is a little tacky when first applied but that goes away. Very little fragrance to this which I like. So we shall see..looking forward to hearing from others who are sampling this.

EDIT Moved on to Nufountain CelSignal which is much more hydrating and overall makes my skin happier. Mama's Helper would be better if it wasn't so drying!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

This is the newest vitamin C (MAP) serum in SN's line up. It was originated for those who are TTC, pregnant or breast-feeding but is certainly not limited to those individuals. Anyone, including men, of course could use this serum. It's 5.5% MAP that also includes several other AOX's, like green tea extract and CoQ-10. The Wasabi extract is soothing and nicely anti-bacterial to fight off any breakouts. Plus, IME, MAP is much like its cousin SAP in fighting off acne all on its own. Please see above for the full ingredient listing. I will mention that it does contain a particular algae extract called Venuceane. I usually avoid ALL things related to algae but I know several MUA'ers who have test driven this serum and have experienced no breakouts. So I decided to chance it and so far, so good. My only complaint is that it does make my skin feel very tight after drydown.....not dry, just tight. So following up with a hydrator or moisturizer will probably be necessary for most people. I am currently test-driving a sample and will update at a later date.UPDATE (02/02/13): So it's been a week and my skin has acclimated to this though it's still tightening. A hydrator is imperative. At first, I tried Face Reality's Hydrating Emulsion and the combo. seemed to make my face red and hot and even tighter. However, after trying out some of SN's hydrating serums and having NO luck, I retried the FRHE and it worked beautifully. Not sure what happened at that first experience? Just glad I persisted in finding a way to make this work. My skin looks pretty fabulous ATM. 2ND UPDATE (02/13/13) So sadly, after 3 weeks, I finally have to admit that this isn't going to work for me. I thought I had solved the drying or tightening aspects but not so. I'm not going to downgrade since I still think it's a brilliant product. It just isn't going to work for my skintype (SD-prone) since I'm prone to TEWL (transepidermal water loss) issues.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No