Living Proof Amp Instant Texture Volumizer

3.7

Water, Synthetic Beeswax, PEG-8 Beeswax, Maltodextrin/VP Copolymer, Isoamyl Laurate, C8-22 Alkyl Acrylates/Methacrylic Acid Crosspolymer, Oleth-10, Myrica Pubescens Fruit Wax, Myristyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-25, Polyalkylaminoester-1 (PBAE), Polyacrylamide, Fragrance/Parfum, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Laureth-7, Glycerin, Methylisothiazolinone, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, PVM/MA Copolymer, Citronellol, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citral.

Hello, my rating may possibly be due to having layered, shoulder length hair. I would have no issue with price if it did what it said. Packaging is wasteful. Purchased this from Nordstroms after a consultation with one of their beauty counter 'experts' and was told it would do wonders to texturize my shoulder length, layered, baby fine hair with slight wave pattern (cut to bring out wave pattern). This does nothing for my hair that a cheap texture volumizer won't do and it makes my hair feel horrible. I used it exactly as was demonstrated and the video tutorials show and while it provides lift for an hour or two, that is it. Then it makes my hair feels weighed down, sticky and dirty. There is no 'revamping' other than the hair will lift for a few minutes or so, then lie back down. I'd have to scrunch my hair all day to get any lift and I am sure that would not be good for my hair. The consultant at Nordstroms should not have sold me this product as it appears it is working well for women with short, layered styles. Drove 45 minutes to the store with hair freshly washed and dried in hopes of having a live demo on my hair but they were out so I ended up purchasing the last one. The women who sold me the product said she uses it and she had thick long hair so I trusted this. Am starting to pick up on the fact that these consultants seem to use whatever it is I am interested in…hmmmm.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The first few times I used this product, it didn't do much at all. I applied it according to the directions so I was at a loss as to why it had no effect. I didn't return it to Sephora so a few days ago, I tried it again. I thought I applied it the same way I did before, but the effect was totally different. I applied it to clean, dry hair and worked it in the palms of my hands until it was a liquid consistency and then worked it into my roots. It created tons of volume that lasted all day. If i needed to refresh the volume, I only needed to fluff up the roots again with my fingers. I also took what product was left on my hands and worked it into the midlengths and ends for texture. This product doesn't make my hair oily and doesn't feel heavy at all. I even had considerable volume the next day, although I did add a little more. All in all, I've changed my mind about this product. It has worked well for me and doesn't give me that "I need to wash my hair" look like so many texturizing products do. It also adds weight and heft to updos. When I wear my hair in a French twist, it prevents flyaways and gives me a smooth look. If I try an updo when my hair is too clean, it's very slippery and Amp gives it some grit, which helps keep my hair in place. This is a very versatile product and I'm just glad I finally got the hang of it. It even works when the Florida humidity climbs. It can also be revived with slightly damp hands applied to the roots, which is what I do on the second day, although I add a little more product too. However, when worked in the palms, it doesn't become transparent, like the directions say, just FYI, although it does become more liquid-y. I recommend this product for all hair types, even fine hair, because it's light and doesn't weigh hair down. In fact, it does just the opposite, lol! I love my voluminous fluffy hair, courtesy of Amp!

Update: Despite numerous attempts, after the one time that Amp worked, I couldn't get it to do anything again. I tried many times to recreate the volume I got that one time, but couldn't do it. The directions say to warm it in the hands until it turns transparent. No matter how long I manipulated the product, it never did this but instead stayed opaque and white so I gave up an applied it anyway. The one time Amp actually worked, the volume and texture was great and I was really pleased with the results, which actually lasted a couple of days. I didn't do anything different than I had before. But subsequent attempts totally failed. I've now used too much of the product to return it to Ulta so it's sitting on my bathroom counter gathering dust. And I don't even have anyone that I can give it to because, frankly, who wants a product that doesn't do anything? So I"m updating my review, dropping it from four lippies to two. Maybe Amp is better suited to shorter hair (mine is bsl). I like the idea of it, but the reality is terrible. I wasted $24 on this product and could kick myself for not returning it when I had the chance. I left a negative review on the LP website, but of course they monitor the reviews and only the positive ones appear on the site. Still, at least they know that for some people, this product sucks! If you're reading this review right now, don't give this product a try. You're wasting your money and your time because it simply doesn't work on longer hair. If it actually lived up to its claims, it would be awesome. But it isn't all that and unfortunately it cost me $24 to find this out. And it's not user error. I followed the directions and when that didn't work, I attempted to use it in other ways, all of which failed. I have a Ph.D. so I think I can figure out simple hair care directions. But this product didn't work, no matter how I tried it. The great results I got one time couldn't be replicated. It was an epic FAIL. I definitely don't recommend it.

I hate to be the naysayer here especially since I LOVE some of the other products from this line :( I've had very good luck w/ Perfect Hair Day, Full Thickening Mousse and Full Thickening Cream (see my separate reviews.) So, since I've found my HG (PHD and the Mousse if it weren't for the horrible dispenser), why would I mess w/ perfection??? Apparently I'm an idiot! :P

Me: fine color treated reverse-cut bob hair and I'm always looking for volume. This didn't do that for me and I followed the directions to the letter. My layers are not spikey short, but as with other products, I expected at least some volume. I got a little bit, but not nearly enough and it certainly didn't last all day (I had to basically re-do/re-pouf w/ h/s over lunch - I never have to do that w/ the other products.) Not sure why this didn't work for me, but I'm happy I could return it (thanks Ulta) and picked up another bottle of the PHD instead :)

I received a deluxe sample of this last year from Sephora and loved it, and I finally purchased a full size ...... I find that for me Amp works best on next day hair or even second day hair ...... I mix a bit of Amp with Frederic Fekkai Elixir and scrunch through and find that my hair looks refreshed and definitely full of volume ...... I am sure that this product works great on shorter styles, however, if you have long and wavy hair as I do, I find that this is a great styling product ..... regardless if I wear my waves natural or use a curling wand for more definition, Amp helps make my hair look better ..... throughout the years I have used dozens and dozens of products and I have found that for my hair Living Proof has the best styling products (I love Style Extender, Perfect Hair and Amp.)

Love this non-sticky volumizer!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use the Restore line for shampoo/conditioner, but never thought to use LP's styling products. I just generally wash my hair at night (every 3-4 days), put in an oil treatment (like Kiehl's Oil-in-Cream or argan oil), then let it air dry over night.

For the past few weeks, I've been putting this in when I wake up with dry hair. I put a nickle-sized amount in my palms, rub together until clear, then shake it around my roots. I think a key here is definitely not to slab it on your hair, but to let your hair pick it up off your hands. After I feel my roots have enough of this, I use the rest by shaking out the ends of my hair.

I am really impressed with this product! Days 2 and 3, my long, thick, heavy hair still has volume at the top! And it isn't greasy! Day 4 comes around and is usually flat. I haven't tried 'reviving' my hair, because as the Web site says it lasts up to 48 hours. I am so pleased with this product and will continue to buy. I've only used it a few times, but I think it'll last 4-5 months (just eye-balling it). For that, I feel the price is justified.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I just used it, and I really really like it. I have suuuuper fine hair and I have hair loss as well. So it really is a good product for creating texture AND volume, without being crispy like alot are :/. After the shower I just let my hair air dry and worked this in from the roots til end. This is deffo my favourite texture and volume product. It's expensive but it's worth the money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I got a sample of this with a 500 point reward. I really like it! I use it at the crown of my head to give fullness and root lift. It works amazing. Will buy full size when the small round container runs out. Only need a little and it works great. Put in at the root and work it a little way out. It smells like grapefruit. Awesome!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Following the instruction card contained within to a tee - warm and emulsify a small amount of product in your palms before distributing through dry hair - but still just got a headful of greasy looking hair which oddly felt dry and tangled to the touch. Didn't do much in terms of hold or volume - it's purely for texturizing. I tried the full shampoo from this line and also was unhappy with it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I read about this on MUA and thought I would give it a try. My hair is pretty dirty right now, but I tried it anyway. OMG, it really adds volume. I love it and cannot wait to try it on clean hair. LOL. Thanks MUA. It is all natural, which makes it better.

UPDATE ON CLEAN HAIR: HG material for sure. It adds volume and texture, just like it says. What a wonderful product.

Popular Styling Products