October 23, 2014 | 1187 users online

Foundations - Almay - Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2014 1:17:00 PM More reviews by LovelyLadyDi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in light/medium (200) This foundation goes on very easily with the right brush or with my fingers. It pretty much matched my skin in about a minute or 2 and got rid of my red/pink really well. It has a very buildable coverage to the point where I was able to use it to conceal my dark circles under my eyes and not have to use a concealer. My issue with this product was that I felt it had too matte of a finish for my dry skin therefore enhancing the dryness.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I usually don't wear foundation, but now that I'm in my 30s and have some sun damage and acne scars after the skincare war zone that was my 20s, I like to dabble a little.

I've always liked Almay because it's pretty much the only drugstore brand--scratch that, the only brand, period--that has never ever broken me out or caused a reaction. I wore their Clear Complexion here and there for the past ten years, but recently I think they reformulated it (when they changed to a pump bottle) and the second or third ingredient is now cyclopentasiloxane, which wreaks havoc on my skin when present in a product in large amounts.

I tried this in Light. Yes, it's gray when you open it, just like most other Smart Shade products. Doesn't bother me, because the finish is unbelievable. It is what it says it is...velvety. It is not greasy or oily, but I don't find it particularly drying either. It will cling to dry patches here and there, but a good moisturizer (I use CeraVe AM) fixes most of that.

I apply with my fingers then smooth out with a Real Techniques essential foundation or expert face brush. No caking, clogging, separating...it's really just a smooth, velvety finish I've never experienced with a foundation before. I forget I'm wearing it, look in the mirror, and think Wow! My skin looks so even and clear! Only one suggestion for improvement: wish I could see the color a little sooner so I could apply it specifically to certain problem areas and see how it is blending against my skin.

It adds a bit of color to my face, evens skin tone quite a bit, and gives me that my skin but better look. I don't feel overly made up or ruddy.

I wouldn't say it is necessarily oil controlling, but even over CeraVe AM, which can be a little slick later in the day, I don't feel or look oily at all.

I never thought I could wear foundation because I usually hate the makeup look and feel liquids give. But this is perfect. I apply my CeraVe AM, apply this, dab some concealer over any blemishes, and finish with the Almay Smart Shade loose powder. It looks good through my whole work day.

Haven't noticed any breakouts, transfer to clothes, oxidizing into orange, separating, etc. My skin looks calm, not red and bumpy, when I take it off at night. I've only used it a handful of times sonfar, but I will continue. Loving the look and feel...I hope this sticks around a while!

EDIT 5/12/14 ended up returning this. It's probably the best drugstore foundation I've found for my skin, but it still feels like foundation and, with enough time, settles into my marionette lines and patches up. Also a bit drying, even on my oily skin. I'll go back to just concealer and powder...hopefully my skin is getting healthy enough to where I don't need foundation anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by AHarmer

I would maybe buy this product again. I like the anti aging smart shade better. I found after using a couple of times it dried out my skin. The coverage was really good though!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by SamaelsMom

after having a lot of trouble with another mousse foundation, I'm relieved to find this. it starts off grey but blends into the skin color. (pro tip: it doesn't actually match your skin. There are little color beads in it that pop when you rub it in). But this color actually matches my skin great and isn't drying! it doesn't make my acne prone skin any worse. I love the whipped texture, it just feels so good on my skin. I love this stuff

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Karlielizabeth

Ok every product I use for my face gets discontinued. I reeeeeally really hope this products a keeper. I LOVE this face mouse. It gives my face which is extremely oily in some areas and extremely dry in others a nice dewy complexion. In the dry parts it really just has good coverage, not making my face look cakey and flaky and dry. LOVE this product. The jar it comes in sucks though.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ceah

This has to be one of the most DECEPTIVE products that I have ever purchased. It caught my eye because the color what the darkest shade that I had ever seen in the Almay line. It is packaged in a little jar and you can clearly see the color, similar to other jars of foundation, right? UH, NO! The color that you see on the outside is NOT the color of the product coming through but the inner plastic portion of the jar dyed to a "foundation" color. But once you actually purchase it, take it home and open it is is a taupy, grayish color. I was so shocked, but decided to give it a try and it was a horrible color on my skin, grayish light ashy sorta kinda brownish. I spent $12 for this, that's more than Revlon Colorstay and my new fave, Queen 3 in 1. I just got this today and will be returning it Walmart tomorrow. I really feel that the packaging is very deceptive.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by TantjeKimmie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually liked this foundation and used it until it was empty. Texture, coverage and color was great BUT.. I hate any foundation that comes in a jar: it's messy, unhygienic and a hassle to open and close the jar withour getting product everywhere. I also felt it accentuated my pores and dry patches. I tried the lightest color in the summer and this has a medium coverage and yellow undertone (hooray!) so colorwise okay but if you're really pale my advice is to steer clear! It's way darker than the regular smart shade makeup. Overall a pretty good foundation with a good value if you can look past the packaging.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/19/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by hollyu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this foundation because I have sensitive skin and I like Mousse foundations, however after a day of wearing it I developed small bumps on my forehead. Otherwise it is a light foundation then blends nicely (despite the grey appearance in the bottle). I don't think I would buy it again even if it didn't break me out for foundation purposes because it doesn't have enough coverage, however I would consider buying a darker colour for contouring. I now wear LORAC - Natural Performance Foundation and it is the only foundation that does not break out my sensitive skin and looks great!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by rawortley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After months of passing on this I bit the bullet and got it...AND HOW HAPPY I AM I DID! It will look crazy when u 1st open it because it's a cool toned lavender grey. You will have to make sure u rub this is really well. I am Definitely not a fan of using my finger for foundation...even the loreal liquid powder which is as thin and runny as they come gets a flat top Kabuki this is best done w fingers since it has to warm up to really get the full color going. It is feels moisturizing but it has matte still looks a little luminous. It does a good job and making my pores less noticeable (something I CAN'T say about whipped colorstay). I am actually surprised by the light to more medium coverage I get with this. Idk if this is true with the whole line but I have it in medium and it is EXTREMELY cool toned foundation...one of my fav things about it, it's not the normal pink toned that's usually associated with cool toned foundation though but it's def there. It has pretty good staying power for a non long wearing foundation. It's extremely creamy and u def can feel all the cones it has in it. When I need to know my foundation is going to stay put for a long time I will wear this under one of my other long wearing foundation, and does well as a primer too!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by lockie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was about to give up on foundation shades that automatically match to my skin, because none of them did. I didn't have too much hope for Almay Smart Shade Mousse but was I surprised. Not only did it really, really match my skin tone but it was just the amount of coverage I wanted. I just threw away all my other foundations now that I have Smart Shade Mousse. Very impressive.