December 22, 2014 | 1230 users online

Foundations - Almay - Almay Smart Shade Mousse Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Laurie1018

This product is like magic. I was sceptical that it would actually match my skin tone but it does perfectly. It evens out my complexion and matches my skin tone so you can't even tell I'm wearing anything at all. I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by sg4656

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am only into my first week with this product but felt inclined to review. I have had a hard time with clogged pores and suffer from dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking) so I am constantly picking and squeezing at my skin. In my efforts to minimize the stimulus (clogged pores) I have switched up my whole routine and have been trying to find the best solution from cleanser to moisturizer to makeup. I have decided to use all non-comedogenic products which limited my selection with makeup. I have also started Tretinoin Gel . 1% and my skin is very dry and red from it so far. I need to adjust but its clearing up very well.

I have tried every single brand in my shade at sephora to no avail. My most recent try was Cover FX and was not happy. I have also tried CVS products but the colors didn't quite match. I finally found Almay Smart Shade Mousse and have had success before with another brand of a "true match" makeup. I tested the liquid and found coverage to be light and felt more like a moisturizer than a foundation, and so I figured mousse might work and I tried it. I love the whipped texture. I found the coverage to be more medium than light but very easily buildable. I built up some coverage on my pimples pretty easily and set it with a colored powder.

It matched my skin perfectly. The staying power is great for me. I have normal to dry skin and yes, it does stick to dry patches, but I haven't had success finding a makeup to date that hasn't stuck to my dry patches from retin-a. These dry patches are like non-other!!!! So my solution is to slough off with a microfiber cloth and add heavy moisturizer at night, and the same routine in the morning and it works well. I really like this foundation. I think the packaging is modern but like others, don't like the fingers in the jar, so I will use a q-tip to get product out.

I found that you need your fingers to apply to get the color to go from the gray to skin color. I think its a mixture of pressure, and warmth that "pop" the "beads". If you are set on brushes, I would suggest adding a moderate amount to cheeks, forehead and chin, with your fingers rubbing in a small circle until the color blends, then use a brush to apply to the face. I actually like that it works great with the fingers, I don't feel limited to a brush, as some requrie a brush for good coverage.

As far as my pores, lines, and unevenness. It doesn't eliminate my pores, but lessens the appearance. I haven't had any settling issues, or oxidization. The color doesn't change. It finishes in a nice velvety look. Not dewy, not matte. Matte makes me look dry and dull and wrinkly. I think you get a lot for a little amount of product. I have needed concealer on my darkest pimples, but I always do that so I don't mind. The foundation hides all my pigmentation and evens my skin. I am more concerned if I look like I am wearing a face of slightly mismatched makeup, than having to wear a spot of concealer, and this makeup blends th best out of any I have tried, except one other brand, and that was clogging for me, so I haven't found an overall great match until now.

The only think stopping this makeup from being my HG is a flawless airbrushed look, but since my skin isn't in great condition, and my pores are not tiny around my cheeks, its certainly a fabulous product. I will buy again (as of now!) and you can't beat the price for the benefits.

My most important factors in finding a foundation were: medium buildable coverage, skin matching, staying power. This hits those top three.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2014 1:17:00 PM More reviews by LovelyLadyDi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in light/medium (200) This foundation goes on very easily with the right brush or with my fingers. It pretty much matched my skin in about a minute or 2 and got rid of my red/pink really well. It has a very buildable coverage to the point where I was able to use it to conceal my dark circles under my eyes and not have to use a concealer. My issue with this product was that I felt it had too matte of a finish for my dry skin therefore enhancing the dryness.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I usually don't wear foundation, but now that I'm in my 30s and have some sun damage and acne scars after the skincare war zone that was my 20s, I like to dabble a little.

I've always liked Almay because it's pretty much the only drugstore brand--scratch that, the only brand, period--that has never ever broken me out or caused a reaction. I wore their Clear Complexion here and there for the past ten years, but recently I think they reformulated it (when they changed to a pump bottle) and the second or third ingredient is now cyclopentasiloxane, which wreaks havoc on my skin when present in a product in large amounts.

I tried this in Light. Yes, it's gray when you open it, just like most other Smart Shade products. Doesn't bother me, because the finish is unbelievable. It is what it says it is...velvety. It is not greasy or oily, but I don't find it particularly drying either. It will cling to dry patches here and there, but a good moisturizer (I use CeraVe AM) fixes most of that.

I apply with my fingers then smooth out with a Real Techniques essential foundation or expert face brush. No caking, clogging, separating...it's really just a smooth, velvety finish I've never experienced with a foundation before. I forget I'm wearing it, look in the mirror, and think Wow! My skin looks so even and clear! Only one suggestion for improvement: wish I could see the color a little sooner so I could apply it specifically to certain problem areas and see how it is blending against my skin.

It adds a bit of color to my face, evens skin tone quite a bit, and gives me that my skin but better look. I don't feel overly made up or ruddy.

I wouldn't say it is necessarily oil controlling, but even over CeraVe AM, which can be a little slick later in the day, I don't feel or look oily at all.

I never thought I could wear foundation because I usually hate the makeup look and feel liquids give. But this is perfect. I apply my CeraVe AM, apply this, dab some concealer over any blemishes, and finish with the Almay Smart Shade loose powder. It looks good through my whole work day.

Haven't noticed any breakouts, transfer to clothes, oxidizing into orange, separating, etc. My skin looks calm, not red and bumpy, when I take it off at night. I've only used it a handful of times sonfar, but I will continue. Loving the look and feel...I hope this sticks around a while!

EDIT 5/12/14 ended up returning this. It's probably the best drugstore foundation I've found for my skin, but it still feels like foundation and, with enough time, settles into my marionette lines and patches up. Also a bit drying, even on my oily skin. I'll go back to just concealer and powder...hopefully my skin is getting healthy enough to where I don't need foundation anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by AHarmer

I would maybe buy this product again. I like the anti aging smart shade better. I found after using a couple of times it dried out my skin. The coverage was really good though!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by SamaelsMom

after having a lot of trouble with another mousse foundation, I'm relieved to find this. it starts off grey but blends into the skin color. (pro tip: it doesn't actually match your skin. There are little color beads in it that pop when you rub it in). But this color actually matches my skin great and isn't drying! it doesn't make my acne prone skin any worse. I love the whipped texture, it just feels so good on my skin. I love this stuff

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Karlielizabeth

Ok every product I use for my face gets discontinued. I reeeeeally really hope this products a keeper. I LOVE this face mouse. It gives my face which is extremely oily in some areas and extremely dry in others a nice dewy complexion. In the dry parts it really just has good coverage, not making my face look cakey and flaky and dry. LOVE this product. The jar it comes in sucks though.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ceah

This has to be one of the most DECEPTIVE products that I have ever purchased. It caught my eye because the color what the darkest shade that I had ever seen in the Almay line. It is packaged in a little jar and you can clearly see the color, similar to other jars of foundation, right? UH, NO! The color that you see on the outside is NOT the color of the product coming through but the inner plastic portion of the jar dyed to a "foundation" color. But once you actually purchase it, take it home and open it is is a taupy, grayish color. I was so shocked, but decided to give it a try and it was a horrible color on my skin, grayish light ashy sorta kinda brownish. I spent $12 for this, that's more than Revlon Colorstay and my new fave, Queen 3 in 1. I just got this today and will be returning it Walmart tomorrow. I really feel that the packaging is very deceptive.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by TantjeKimmie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually liked this foundation and used it until it was empty. Texture, coverage and color was great BUT.. I hate any foundation that comes in a jar: it's messy, unhygienic and a hassle to open and close the jar withour getting product everywhere. I also felt it accentuated my pores and dry patches. I tried the lightest color in the summer and this has a medium coverage and yellow undertone (hooray!) so colorwise okay but if you're really pale my advice is to steer clear! It's way darker than the regular smart shade makeup. Overall a pretty good foundation with a good value if you can look past the packaging.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/19/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by hollyu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this foundation because I have sensitive skin and I like Mousse foundations, however after a day of wearing it I developed small bumps on my forehead. Otherwise it is a light foundation then blends nicely (despite the grey appearance in the bottle). I don't think I would buy it again even if it didn't break me out for foundation purposes because it doesn't have enough coverage, however I would consider buying a darker colour for contouring. I now wear LORAC - Natural Performance Foundation and it is the only foundation that does not break out my sensitive skin and looks great!