NARS Persia

If I were to come across a magic lamp, one of my wishes would be that I never run out of NARS Persia. And then I'd wish for my own Aladdin, because hey, why not, right?

As a lover of rusty burnt oranges, art from the Achaemenid Persian empire, and long-haired (let's face it, clean-cut and even bald, too) Jake Gyllenhaal, this shadow had my name written all over it. It wasn't until I purchased Persia after two years of lusting after it that I realized I own several oranges, but every aspect of this beats out every single one of them. It is, hands down, my favorite eyeshadow of all time.

The compact is typical NARS packaging, of which I fall into the crowd that loves the rubber and (easily removed!) grime. It's really adorable, as the single eyeshadows are mini versions of the larger duos and blushes, and even smaller in comparison to the bronzers and pressed powders. And who doesn't love mini sizes? I had also swatched many of the other singles while I was browsing, but at least to me, Persia was the softest and most buttery of all. I was impressed immediately by the pigmentation and smoothness and I have had no regrets on this impulse buy (which, to be fair, was supplemented by hours upon hours of swatch-stalking last year).

I own Wet 'n' Wild Fergie's Desert Festival as well as Kat Von D's Ladybird palette, both of which have fantastic orange shades. The matte orange in Desert Festival leans slightly peachy and is brighter than I would've liked. I was nervous that Persia would look too similar to Cleopatra in the Ladybird palette, but it is nowhere close. It is SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Cleopatra swatches much more brown toned and chalky than Persia, and Persia is a thousand and one times more buttery, vibrant, and packed with pigmentation. It is probably the softest eyeshadow that I own. I used to have to swirl my brush in Cleopatra to get the density of color I wanted on my olive NC20-25 skin, but with Persia I only tap my brush in--I still have to tap off the excess so it isn't too bright!--and I get more than I could've asked for at a price of $25. Whereas Cleopatra is sort of flat looking blended into the crease (this is turning out to be a mini review of the Ladybird palette.), Persia brings in that lively splash of warmth and color, and actually emphasizes the orange undertones of my brown eyes.

Yes, this shadow is orange, and I understand that it isn't quite neutral and is considered daunting by many who don't like to venture out of their comfort zone. However, I believe that orange is a great shade to use in order to ease yourself away from a neutral rut, and seriously, Persia just adds this stunning warmth and depth to the eye: so much so, that I recommend even simply trying it out at a counter before you consider purchasing if you have the ability.

I love blending Persia through my crease and on my lower lash line. It's extremely blendable and doesn't affect colors placed on top. With a darker brown in the crease, black winged liner, and lots of mascara, I think Persia really creates an eye opening and gorgeously exotic effect, worthy of a princess (and bound to be equally as pretty to her street rat of a prince, if you catch my drift). I cannot rave about this product enough, and I really hope this won't be discontinued anytime soon, because I'll be repurchasing this for as long as I need to--which honestly might not even happen since you need so little for a huge impact. It's JUST THAT GOOD!

In a word: it's perfect.

on 6/7/2015 6:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Oh damn, oh god damn! This eyeshadow is so amazing. It is actually so versatile!!! Now obviously it looks so intermediating in the pan, but this is my go to crease shade when doing a super rusty brown eye. Basically this is how I use Nars Persia in an eye look: I would lay down Soft Ochre Paint Pot, then place a cream eyeshadow in a browny colour like Elliss Faas Ginger Freckle, then over top would go in with a rusty sheeny colour like Mac Mythology, MUG Goddess, or sometimes Mac Woodwinked. THEEENNNN I would lightly dip my brush in Nars Persia, and then start working it into the crease and under the eye. In the pan it looks like a straight up red/orange, but when worked into the crease it blends perfectly and just deepens a rust look to be even more "popping" (shame). Such good pigment, its just lush!

on 4/17/2015 5:45:00 PM

This is a gorgeous rusted terracotta orange- think dusty burnt earth or a desert sunset, and you've pretty much got the essence of this shade. I love to wear it everyday to compliment my other shadows by using it to blend out whatever is in my crease that day- with a very light hand, this imparts a gorgeous warmed finish that really 'finishes' my smokey eye looks. I also love applying it to my lower lash line after watching Lisa Eldridge's Marylin Monroe tutorial to really enlarge my eyes- it's a trick that absolutely works! She used red lipstick in her video but this orange works absolutely beautifully on my medium skin, and I find that it really makes my eyes look whiter and brighter, especially when I apply a very black mascara to my lower lash line- it really helps to frame my lashes and make them look longer and thicker. This is an intense, highly pigmented shade- make no mistake, it's largely and conventionally unwearable on its own, but lightly applied, boy oh boy does it work like magic for your eyes!

on 1/24/2013 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

NARS describes this shade as a "matte paprika". I would describe this shade as a bright rusted orange. I'm not going to lie MUA, I was interested in this shadow because I am Persian. Its not a shade I would typically go for. I only took off one lippie since this shade is hard to pull off and not wearable for every day. I will not purchase.