November 28, 2014 | 952 users online

Loose Powders - NARS - Light Reflecting Setting Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Alliecat333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

One Lovely day I was in my happy place aka sephora, needed a translucent powder, brought home makeup forevers powder. Next day I took it back.
Months later I decided to try NARS. Why! I thought to myself, all "translucent" will make you look like a ghost, remember the makeup forever disaster?
Today I could not live without my light reflecting powder, let me tell you why.
I have always had trouble getting products like blush to apply evenly. One sweep of this powder takes away any tackiness providing a truly smooth surface.
I set concealer with it
I sweep it over my eye primer before shadow (helps with blending)
Put a little on my brush before using highly pigmented blush
This will give you sort of a soft matte finish which is much more natural and believable, beautiful over dewy foundations.
There are small glitter particles but once blended are unnoticeable, not so light reflecting , more like light diffusing. Airbrush effect. Minimizes pores.
I have extremely dry skin but find no problems with using this powder.
I love the texture and the way it smooths the skin. It's like baby's butt in a jar.
Packaging is beautiful but a mess even though I only poked 2 holes through the plastic.
Pricey but you get more product than the pressed version but you don't need 5lbs to set your face anyway. Best part, no white cast.
Mac face & body set with NARS LRP is my favorite face.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2014 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Jesicle

I looooove this product.

Normally I steer clear of translucent powders as I've never been able to find one that doesn't make me look ghostly but this is just gorgeous! It makes my skin glow without any sparkle and my foundation stays on all day with a light dusting of this over top.

I apply my foundation and then my concealer. While those products are setting for a few minutes I'll do my brows before going over my face with this powder. I use a big fluffy brush and just sort of swirl it all over my skin. It's incredibly easy and because it's really translucent, it's hard to mess up when applying it.

It's pretty pricey (Especially here in New Zealand) but it's worth it for me. I don't have to touch up my makeup at all throughout the day.

My skin feels nice and light when wearing this and I don't feel like I've packed too much on my face with different creams and powders and what-not

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Angelseleena

first off let me begin by saying stay away from this if: 1) you don't like a glowy sort of dewy finish 2) you need extra coverage. This powder is completely seamless and translucent, and will make your foundation stay the exact colour I was when applied. It gives the skin a nice luminous finish & helps foundation stay longer. I normally use this over MAC face and body or MAC studio sculpt foundation and Prolongwear concealer. Does not give a white cast. Your makeup will stay with a setting spray as well. I use urban decay chill because I don't like a matte finish. Matte finishes never work on my face. :( I always end up looking somewhat cakey (I've found maybe one product I like that's matte out of the dozens I've tried). So overall I really do like this! :) also if you buy this DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT open the flap all the way because you'll end up with a HUGE mess Everytime you open this (my vanity looks like there's fairy dust everywhere). Anyways hope this helped :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For the longest time I was wondering how the NARS Light Reflecting powders compared to the Ambient Lighting Powders by HOURGLASS.

I kept reading through blog reviews trying to find a clear comparison. Long story short, I left home one morning, heading to Sephora, on a mission! I made swatches, checked them in different lighting, went outside. They end up being quite different in direct sunlight. The NARS powder stands somewhere between Diffused and Ethereal Light. It gives the glow of Etheral but has some of Diffused's frikkinn amazing micro-fine stardust, which can only be seen at very close inspection under direct sunlight. It combines the best of both, and is my favorite.

I am male with very oily skin and use this on my cheekbones as highlight. Unlike other subtle highlights I have used in the past, this will never appear shimmery - no matter the lighting. I love it especially for daylight. At night I prefer to upgrade to WnW Reserve Your Cabana. Or should I say Downgrade? Well, sunlight IS the most difficult test, isn't it? Having to go High End for the subtlest high light is not surprising. Despite the very low price, WnW is great and whoever enjoys this kind of illuminating powders should go ahead and buy it. NARS on the other hand is a beautiful all over face powder for bridal makeup or that only special highlight which is office appropriate.

Because this is more of a powder than a highlight, it's better if you don't apply your regular powder on the same areas. This adds subtle luminosity but also sets well and mattifies just enough. A great example of advanced, modern makeup.

NOTE: I personally prefer the loose to the pressed Light Reflecting powder. I like loose powders in general and in this case you also get more product! I apply makeup only at home, including powder. It's not as acceptable to touch up for guys :). But actually I don't really need to. I have a good mattifying powder for problem areas so besides blotting a couple of times during the day I don't need to carry with me a powder compact. The loose powder is perfect for me. But you might want to consider the pressed powder compact. It is more convenient and you get the same result.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2014 6:20:00 AM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've written a glowing review for this same powder in the pressed form. I don't know what posessed me to buy the loose version when the other one worked so well for me. I feel that this powder leaves a bit of a white cast on my skin and the packaging is just so messy! I end up with powder dust all over my blouse and makeup bag every time I use this. It does give my skin a luminous, non-sparkly finish and keeps the shine at bay though. But next time I repurchase, it will be in the pressed form again!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2014 4:26:00 AM More reviews by greatgrains

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I really wanted to like this powder but unfortunately it wreaks havoc on my skin by sucking all the moisture out of it. After application my face always felt smooth yet gritty at the same time. At night after cleansing my skin would be drier than usual. I tried using heavier moisturisers underneath but it made no difference. This week I used it for 3 days in a row and finally woke up with eczema on my cheeks on the 4th day. I didn't use it yesterday (went back to trusty LM translucent) and my skin is now back to normal. It also didn't have any 'blurring effect' on me. Needless to say I won't be using this again.

Pros: Sets to an invisible finish, superb oil control, nice compact packaging.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by weirdhologurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Previously I was using MAC's prep+prime translucent setting powder, but it was giving me a white cast in photos and drying out my skin.

This powder is pretty sweet, I have oily combination skin and it def keeps my face in check until around mid day. I usually touch up with blotting sheets.

It goes on without the white cast, makes my makeup look soft & natural. I don't notice the "light reflecting particles" at all, but I do notice a difference if I use a different powder. My makeup does not set for as long, or look as fresh.

For an extra kick I like to layer the Hourglass ambient powder on top of my setting powder :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by MES

At 34 I have a pretty good understanding of what works for me and what doesn't. I've been a devotee of loose powder almost a long as I have been wearing makeup. I have dry skin so I use powder to set my makeup, more than say absorb oil or mattify my face. For years I used L'Oreals Translucide which was my HG powder, sadly it got discontinued. L'Oreals Translucide in Translucent did have just the faintest hint of color, whereas this is white. The trick to this is applying just enough to give the face a light undetectable dusting, then blending. Otherwise it can possibly give a very obvious white cast in photos. I do absolutely love the finish on this, it's very soft and natural looking and does not emphasize dryness.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by pink_jasmine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I did not like this powder AT ALL! It left my face with the most awful white cast in photographs. I literally looked ghastly pale like a ghost in all the photographs I took while wearing this! I also did not think that the small flecks of shimmer in this were subtle, they were very obvious to me. I also found the powder very drying to my skin, it left me with flaky patches. As far as HD/silica powders go, I have had much better luck with MUFE HD powder and By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra Powder. (The latter is my favorite.)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 3:15:00 AM More reviews by KellyFitzhugh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my favorite powder ever!! if you are a fan of the not-totally-matte-skin look, this powder is fantastic for you!! i have the pressed version that i use over the NARS sheer glow foundation and the combination of the two give my skin a beautiful dewy glow that stays consistent pretty much all day. like i never touch it up, so realistically i am maybe starting to get beyond dewy into a little shiny territory by the very end of the day, but not anything bad at all and i'm talking like 10-11 hours after application with no touch-ups! i mean, i think this wouldnt be for you if you are trying to go for a completely matte look or if you get really really oily, but if youre into being super glowy you should definitely try this powder!! i think it really helps with the staying power of my foundation too, it for sure lives up to its name in terms of being a setting powder. this powder is the best, i have zero complaints!!