November 24, 2014 | 1903 users online

Lip Liners - MAC - Pro Longwear Lip Pencil - In Anticipation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by shizznizz

The color is just gorgeous and I have never had a more long-lasting lipliner ever! A swipe of my favorite lip balm over this fantastic lipliner, and I'm good to go! It looks so fresh, especially when I'm a little tan, and has this nice, natural pink-tone to it. I can't get enough.

Sadly, there HAD to be an evil side to this almighty lipliner. How the hell am I supposed to sharpen this stuff? It's not made out of wood, and when I try sharpening it with my regular sharpener it breaks. Tried to gently whittle some of it off with a tiny knife, but it just smudged the product inside and ruined it. I'm still trying to figure this out, and it's kind of taking a toll on my health since I finally feel like I've found my soulmate in this lipliner. It sucks.

Final summation:
I love this lipliner to death, but apparently this lipliner doesn't love me back. Please MAC, do us all a favor and make this brilliant piece of tasty-pinkish-pen-of-wonder easier to sharpen. The struggle is real.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2014 1:51:00 PM More reviews by lizzievm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I recently purchased this as I have quite full lips and wanted to find a really nice lip liner to create a high definition shape which I could also fill my lips in with.

The colour was really nice when I swatched it on the back of my hand, however, it did appear different when applied to my lips (which are quite a rosy colour).

I applied it to dry lips - bad mistake, and totally my own fault - and it looked okay, although it did sink into the crevices of my lips, however it wasn't too noticeable. It lasted the whole entire day without needing touch-ups, which was really impressive.

The next time I applied this, I put on a lip balm before doing the base of my make up and then by time I got round to applying lip products it had soaked in nicely. This time it came out 10x nicer, very smooth and it looked like a regular matte lipstick rather than a dry lip liner.

My only real problem with this product is that it doesn't last long at all due to the soft application nib. It's in desperate need of sharpening after two uses, and I'm having problems trying to sharpen it due to not being a completely wooden lip liner. When I tried to use a regular cosmetic sharpener, it took off some of the actual product and created jagged edges around it. I'm still trying to figure out how to actually sharpen this.

The price of this was 15.50, so it was a little bit of a splurge. I'd definitely go for a regular MAC lipstick over this, but if you take away the sharpening issues and the price, it's an okay product that provides a very long lasting lovely pink colour.

I also recently used this as a liner with a Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in shade 16 over the lip, and it was almost if not exactly the same colour. So if you're looking for a lipstick that is the same colour as In Anticipation, then you should definitely give that a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by kathren3377

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of the first Mac products I've bought. Before I got this I'd always wear rimmel lip liner in eastend snob. I'm not quite sure which one lasts longer though :x but I like it

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this with my sister. She loves it, but it is way too bright for me. I prefer Soar or Subculture. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by singwritenow

I had high expectations for this liner since it was touted as an 8-10 hour lip liner. I didn't notice that much difference in the staying power compared to other lip liners, both highend and drugstore brands. The color is pretty and goes great with my collection of hot pink lipsticks, but I rated it with only two lippies because it is not a longwearing lip liner on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

About the Pro Longwear Lip Pencil collection:
MAC's website describes the Pro Longwear lip pencil line as "a new generation of longwearing lip pencil technology. Glides on fluidly and adheres instantly. Defines the lips with an instant release of rich, saturated colour. Pro-longs the hours between re-application. Transfer proof." This release of 10 lip pencils came out in fall 2011 and is part of the permanent collection.

Temptalia's review said that this line wears "like iron," 8-10 hours, and that underneath a lipstick, it seemed to add 1-2 hours of additional wear. She also said they were drying when worn alone, required a lip balm underneath, and took some extra make up remover to take off at the end of the day.

I do find this lip pencil line to be more pigmented and creamier than MAC's general lip pencils. It does apply very easily and while it's not moisturizing, it did not emphasize my dry patches (if I prime my lips before), and lasts 4-5 hours, which is very long on my lips. I didn't need anything extra to remove this lip color, it just faded (evenly - yay!) on it's own. I also wore with lip gloss ontop, as by itself it looked kind of flat and like a solid coat of paint.

MAC's website describes In Anticipation as a "soft yellow pink". Temptalia's review calls it "a brightened pink with yellower undertones. It delivers nice even, opaque color. Bobbi Brown Mod Pink is similar but brighter." On my pigmented lips, it looks like a lovely bright pink rose. I love pairing this with MAC's lipstick in Lustering or Laura Mercier's Lip Glace in Rose. Beautifully flattering colors on my complexion. It also goes well with NARS Outlaw blush.