L'Oreal Ideal Moisture 48hr SPF25 Normal Skin

3.4

on 3/16/2015 11:21:00 PM

At first glance it seemed this didn't get a good rating. I was a bit bummed to see that, as this was a impulse buy - picked it up for $7 * today at SDM on the advice of the SA, who had just returned from the same tropical place I was heading. I wanted a high SPF & moisturizer and had just had an awful last few weeks' experience with Avene High Protection Mineral Cream (Me: why am I so depressed? Because my skin looks AWFUL and is tight and sore and it doesn't feel ilke my own skin anymore! I'm breaking out and I look wretched and I'm going on holiday. Avene: You're welcome.). As I read the good and the bad reviews I was afraid it was going to be too slick and greasy and shiny on me, because my skin will do that all on its own. The SA told me how she wore it on her trip and it doesn't clog pores and wasn't greasy, and stayed put, etc.

Still I wasn't expecting much, so I started by putting a dab on the back of one hand - yup, kind of shiny. I rubbed it in and forgot about it. A few minutes later I *noticed* how soft that hand was, and I dunno, young feeling? I noticed!

So even though it was the end of my day, I washed my face as I normally would in the morning, despairing at the growing congestion on my bumpy skin no matter how well I cleansed, ate, slept, etc. After serum, I put on a dab of the Ideal Moisture. I found that I needed/wanted to apply a dab more - my skin soaked that up, so I added a dab more. I let it settle and touched my skin. It was as noticeably softer as my hand had been. My skin seemed calmer and was actually decongesting as I ran my finger tips over some of the trouble spots - the blemishes were unclogging and "letting go". Alright! So, what's weird is this product is supposed to be an SPF with a moisturizer?

I even applied makeup, because I was heading out to return the Avene & buy Regenerist Superstructure Cream SPF 25 in case this L'Oreal one was a dog. Too soon to tell for long term performance so only 4 lippies, but I can't believe the difference just being in my own skin again - it feels amazing. I feel like myself again. The dry cracky feeling is totally diminished and my mood completely lifted - yay!!

The container is dumb - like a body lotion size with a huge hole - must be using up some containers they had over-stocked. A huge amount comes out easily. However, this size make this a travel multi-tasker because it would be perfect for the body - moisturizing, high spf. I haven't noticed stickiness, and I'm not sure how much I can go out on a limb here and say this is da bomb but will update. Not so sure if this review is solely a rave about this product - it's also a pan of the Avene (3 out of the 4 products I've tried of their's have been disappointments).

Will try on body too and check out the stickiness factor.

*the sale sign said Clearance and I got the last bottle on the shelf. I mentioned to the SA that it said "Clearance" and she said "oh no, they'll get more in." Hmm..don't believe that's what Clearance means…how's that for turnaround - falling in love with a clearance item. No waiting for it to be discontinued!

on 1/11/2014 2:00:00 AM

This caught my eye a couple months back mainly because of its high SPF content (UVA/UVB SPF 25). Most other moisturizers usually contain SPF 15, which to me is a little low, especially since I live in an area with a lot of sun.

I like this moisturizer because it really does leave my skin feeling smooth, hydrated and supple. I don't ever feel the need to re-apply throughout the day, because it does a great job locking in the moisture on my skin, especially now that it's kind of cold in my area. However, wearing this alone does make my skin look sorta dew-y and a little shiny, but underneath foundation you can't even tell.

I like the SPF content in this one-- i feel that it does protect my face pretty well. Since it's a chemical based sunscreen, it doesn't leave a pale white cast on my skin in the morning like a physical titanium dioxide sunscreen would.

I don't however, enjoy the fragrance it has. I don't know how to describe it. but it's almost this flower-y/perfumey sort of smell. It's not too overbearing, but it isn't something I particularly like,

As for the texture, it's very light, almost "whipped". I use a very small amount (dime-sized, maybe smaller) and it seems to work really well all over my face. Since a little amount goes a long way, one bottle seems to last a reaaally long time.

Overall, I love how much this hydrates my skin and protects my face from any sun damage. I love that I can use a very small amount and it works just as well. I don't like the smell very much and that it makes my appearance a little shiny. And I don't like the packaging very much because it does get a little messy, but nothing a quick clean up can't fix.

on 12/13/2013 12:11:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Good for dry skin, like mine. My skin is a lot smoother since using this.
This is probably going to be too "oily" for normal skin. On oily skin it would probably be a greasy disaster.
It goes on nice and smooth, works well under foundation. Smells OK. I wish it had a pump. I don't like the kind of bottle it comes in but I suppose it's better than a jar.

on 11/19/2013 9:41:00 PM

So this moisturizer advertises 48-hour moisture, which I totally believe because my face felt greasy all day. And where I am, the air is getting both drier and colder so my skin is actually on the dry side (normal-dry combination) these days....

I picked it up because it was very cheap and was SPF 25. I agree with the person who says that it's more of an SPF that happens to moisturize as opposed to vice versa. Like others have said, it feels like there is a thin sticky layer when it is applied. I was hoping that throughout the day this would dissipate, my skin being kinda dry and all I thought maybe it would 'soak it up' so to speak, but it only got worse, and my face felt really greasy, and after work, I washed it off with a wet wash cloth.

Maybe if it came as a thinner consistency I could get a thinner layer and it wouldn't feel so icky?

It also comes as a squeeze bottle, and I think it's difficult to control the amount of lotion that comes out.

There is a light fragrance that does not bother me.

on 9/16/2013 2:43:00 PM

I picked this up looking for a simple daytime moisturizer to use in the warmer months that wasn't so thick and this seemed like a viable option as it was inexpensive and contained spf. This was an okay enough moisturizer that I would continue to use it as not to waste the product, but I don't think I'd repurchase. It was definitely a light thin lotion-like consistency but it is a touch sticky and that never seemed to subside. This was moisturizing enough for my skin however without being overbearing. I really disliked the packaging, a squeezable body lotion type deal, that always spurted out the product haphazardly at times getting on my dresser or other placed despite holding over hand or just dispensing more than you need lol. Overall this was not one of my fave moisturizer and I wouldn't really recommend it.

on 8/4/2013 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I wanted something higher than a Spf 15 to wear to the gym. Not to wear under makeup, just for the gym or doing laundry or something. The price was right, the packaging was cute, and it was L'Oreal so I took a chance. I'm glad I did.

In sum, this stuff moisturizes very well. After using, your skin feels and looks hydrated, even after a workout. However, it is a little sticky but not greasy. Under makeup, I can see how it could be problematic but alone it's better than I expected and great for limited purposes. A definite repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I noticed that I was dreading putting on sunscreen in the morning because I hated the way it made my skin feel all day. So I bought this hoping that I would be getting a very lightweight moisturizer that absorbed into the skin well, making my skin feel like I had nothing on. Unfortunately, that's not what I get with this product. Even though I have "normal" skin, this product feels heavy and filmy. At first it feels nice going on...but hours later, I can still feel that I put this product on my skin.

UPDATE: Kept trying to use this moisturizer. Went to Barcelona where it is quite humid, used this on my face and neck, and I literally felt miserable all day because my face felt COVERED in a sticky, thick film. Especially my neck. It was so bad I had to go to the bathroom and wipe it off with a wet towel. Gross.

on 1/20/2013 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've oily skin and this is oil-free with SPF25 for both UVA/UVB but I got greasy face pretty fast. There is no expiration date for SPF!! The weather is still cold in the mid 50F today and I dust off with oil control powder. I walked along the river in the sun a couple of hours and no sun burn but not sure in the summer. It claim to have moisture for 48 hours but I wash my face at least twice a day so I can't confirm that :) It has very light scent and barely noticeable.

I paid $7 for 4oz bottle from CVS with regular price. If you have combo skin, this may be good. Maybe also good under MU but when I walk, I don't want MU on my face.

I also bought "sensitive skin" version and it is pretty good for oily skin. It has expiration date! These must be new products, I can't find in many stores. Both bottles I bought are the last ones from the case (CVS locked them up). Both are made in USA, unlike most Olay products.

I posted pictures above and you can also see ingredients.

Popular Moisturizers