Sally Hansen Glitz Gal

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a cool-toned charcoal gray microglitter with a generous dusting of scattered holographic (color-changing) microglitter. It definitely isn't a layering glitter - it's actually opaque in two coats! My only quibble is that I need two thick layers of topcoat to keep it from being snag-my-hair rough, but that's minor. I suspect this will go down in history as one of my favorite polishes. About US$2 @ Walmart.

on 1/19/2013 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This polish is from the Sally Hansen "Gem Crush" glitter line.

I'm a huge fan of glitter nail polish, and I expected to love this. Unfortunately, I don't. In the bottle, it looks like a sooty, dark-to-black glitter, and before it dries down completely it's pretty nice, but once it dries, it's just a kind of bland charcoal-silverish, maybe what you'd call graphite, with a definite but dark blue tone. There's plenty of glitter, but the multi-colour holographic/prismatic glitter bits are not anywhere near as interesting on the nails as they look in the bottle or before the polish dries completely. I've tried a few things with this polish, but no matter what, the colour just seems dull, and I don't mean "boring", I mean, not bright.

I've worn this a few times now, trying to see if it would grow on me, and after several wearings I'm slightly warmer to it, but I'm still pretty... meh. The only thing I use it for now is an accent nail when I'm wearing dark (charcoal grey, graphite, etc.) polish on my other fingers.

DUPE ALERT: China Glaze Some Like It Haute is a pretty close match to this polish.