October 23, 2014 | 2155 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Mon Numero 7

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

The Mon Numero series from L'Artisan initially started as a line of bespoke fragrances (read:incredibly expensive); your own one of a kind fragranced designed by Bertrand Duchaufour. This evolved into the Mon Numero series, where each fragrance was released in a particular locale or through one retailer (in the case of Mon Numero 7, it was QVC). I had smelled No 6 at the Bon Marche in Paris, and sort of fell in love with it very quickly. The next day, I found myself with literally just 15 minutes to pick up a bottle. I was at the Artisan Boutique in the Marais, the one on Rue Bourg Tibourg (sp?). I mention this because what eventually transpired was the best sort of synchrony in the world of a perfume junkie. I ran into the store, credit card in hand, asking for a bottle of Mon Numero 6. The young woman working there told me they were out of it. As I stood there consternated, this lovely lovely gentleman comes out from the back of the store and begins asking me what notes I love etc... On second application, MN 6 smelled very aquatic (a definite no-no for me). He grabbed my wrist (gently) and spritzed me with MN 7. Told me to "go walk around" and not make up my mind for 15 min or so. The initial blast of no 7 is all spices. Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon, and dark dark tea. I'm not a huge cinnamon fan, so my initial thought was "not for me". Within a few minutes of walking outside with my friend, she leaned into me and said "oooh, you smell good. Mossy". Now, anything remotely ressembling moss gets a lot of attention from me. "moss? moss?" I kept repeating while madly sniffing my wrist. And, sure enough, I get it. There's a lovely chypre-like quality to this one which emerges very quickly after the spices die down. It's fresh and green, but in a Duchaufour way. The scent continues to evolve beautifully for at least 4-5 hrs. It's really one of Bertrand's (first name basis, we are) best creations. I don't get tuberose or jasmin, so if you're a huge fan of florals don't come looking for their presence up front. But there is a lovely garland-like glow from this one. Best thing is the amazing sandalwood (REAL sandalwood) which emerged as a complete surprise. I love love love this scent and reach for it most days. It is very uplifting and complex (not easy to achieve), while having an unmistakable Duchaufour quality which reads to my brain as having a black velvet scent "texture" , if you will. The bottle is also gorgeous, with a black label on the typical Artisan octagon with that very nice heavy cap.
Completely FBW.
As an aside, lovers of iris should rush to try Mon Numero 8.