April 18, 2014 | 1969 users online

Other - NOW Foods XyliWhite™ Refreshmint Toothpaste Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 11:30:00 PM More reviews by mzjhene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my favorite toothpaste! No fluoride or other yucky stuff, but best thing about it is its high content of xylitol! Xylitol is wonderful because it makes my teeth so smooth, I can't stop feeling them with my tongue. The smooth coating effect prevents cavity causing germs from attaching to teeth, preventing cavity altogether. Xylitol also keep germ population low, because the germs eat xylitol, but cannot digest it. There are numerous other benefits of xylitol on dental health! The flavor is naturally sweet, mint flavor is not very strong, so if you want a stronger mint flavor, go with the other flavor (xyliwhite platinum mint).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2013 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Jellyblob

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I know there are many good reviews on MUA for this toothpaste but they are all in notepads so I thought I'd start a thread. This toothpaste costs $3.80 from iherb.com. It contains a high concentration (25%) of Xylitol, which is a nonfermentable sugar that can be extracted from fruits and vegetables. It has been found in studies to reduce tooth decay down to a third with regular use. It contains papaya enzymes for whitening.

I bought this because I wanted something SLS, paraben, flouride and cruelty-free. I didn't buy it for the whitening aspect because I have tried so many products in the past (including expensive bleach from the dentist) to whiten my tetracycline-stained teeth ( I took them when I was a child). They either left my teeth and gums very painful or extremely sensitive. If they were mild, they barely had an effect at all.

I have been using it for more than a month. Well color me shocked when I put on FRESH's Berry Lip treatment a few days ago. My teeth were white! I thought it was the effect of the blue-toned lip color (I'm sure it helped) that made it appear whiter than it seemed. Then today, while I was checking my makeup in the mirror, my husband said something that made me laugh. I was wearing a nude lip gloss and my teeth looked white. Okay, you may be wondering why it took me this long to find out. Well, I don't often do a toothy smile when I look in the mirror unless I'm checking my teeth for food bits and when I brush my teeth, I can't really tell because the lighting in my bathroom is dim. Also, I wasn't expecting any whitening at all, so I wasn't looking out for it.

I can't believe how something so gentle, safe and affordable can achieve the same effect as all those expensive, stinging, chemical-ridden toothpastes and treatments I had tried in the past. So here is my vote for this toothpaste. May they never stop making this because I'd have to buy truckloads to last me for the rest of my life.

P.S. I tried Jason's powersmile which is also very good but didn't whiten as well as this one does.

From NOW foods solutions website:

Ingredients: water, xylitol (25%), hydrated silica, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium coco-sulfate, carrageenan (Chondrus crispus), tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) leaf oil, peppermint (Mentha piperita) oil, spearmint (Mentha viridis) oil, papain, potassium sorbate