April 16, 2014 | 965 users online

Skincare - Face - Tatcha - Skincare Sample Set

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 4:38:00 AM More reviews by GMaryroses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

I absolutely love Tatcha! This sampler came in beautiful packaging and the products were great (pictured). I have oily skin with quite large pores. The packaging came with beautiful info cards and a booklet describing Tatcha and how to use the products.
The Camellia Cleansing Oil, Rice Enzyme Powder (All three have actually worked great on my skin, but for everyday use I think gentle and classic are better) and the Brightening serum are the standout products in the sampler. The cleansing oil takes off all the makeup, including Duo eyelash glue, which is great because I don't have to rub my eyes a lot and noticed that my lashes are not pulling out like they would with other makeup cleansers.
The Rice Enzyme Powder makes my skin so soft and bright! I am in love! My pores are clearer and as a result less noticeable and smaller/clearer.
The brightening serum is lovely, I smooth it in after I use my rose water toner and it absorbs nicely!
The moisturizer is nice and makes my skin very supple, but I am not sure if I would buy a full size of it. I would probably opt for the Camellia Beauty Gold Oil instead since my skin responds better to face oils instead of creamy moisturizers!
The Aburatoragami blotting papers are divine as always.
Tatcha also has promos and three free samples and amazing customer service (returns, no questions asked).
Bottom line, try it and as they state in their directions, patch test the rice enzyme powders first before using it all over your face! Everyone's skin is different, I am just super grateful it worked for mine!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What a lovely looking set. I thought it was pretty expensive for what you get. I thought that the trial sizes could have been done better. For example the enzyme powders would be better off in a larger deluxe sample type jar for each skin type you could purchase your own box, and maybe include a classic powder sachet in each skin type box e.g. One 10g jar of Gentle powder + one 1g sachet of classic powder.

All the items arrived to me in perfect condition and it came with cards to tell me about each Tatcha product. Which no other skincare brand I have used have ever done this. I do like a brand that gives to charity and strives to use natural ingredients where there are so many other brands out there that do neither. I did note, thanks to another reviewer that there are a few filler ingredients some of which are not necessary on skincare. I would love for Tatcha to improve on this in future and that would really justify their prices. I did go on to purchase full sized camellia oil, classic enzyme powder, dewy mist (not available in sampler) & lip balm (not available in sampler). See my other reviews on these.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2013 8:29:00 AM More reviews by peacenow

Received the sampler in its lovely packaging. First time I used the products, I had a strange tingling sensation, bordering on burning. It took about 10 minutes for it to subside. My cheeks were red, but that subsided too. About 24 hours later, I used the products again. My face was on fire! No exaggeration. Skin inflamed, and I had such burning that I immediately splashed cold water to get off all products. Even after I washed the products off my face, my skin was burning.

The reaction was so bad that I had to make an emergency call to my doctor on a weekend. She immediately prescribed a topical steroid cream. She also told me to take the medication Benedryl because Tatcha products had clearly caused a terrible allergic reaction. Note that I do NOT have what anyone would consider "sensitive" skin. I have never, ever had such a reaction to any skincare products ... ever!

I'm writing this review so that others might be spared. If you have the initial reaction on first use that I did, immediately stop and return the products. Don't do what I did and attempt to use a second time. I now have to use the steroid cream for about a week to stop the damage the Tatcha products did.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2013 2:29:00 PM More reviews by NettalynVB

I would like to start off by saying, I really, really wanted to love this. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for packaging, and these products are some of the most beautifully presented you'll ever find.

That said, I feel that the packaging is just that: packaging. It's dressing up cheap filler ingredients in a pretty package and marketing it as natural, expensive, and exotic.

First, the good:

- These products are free of a lot of bad or suspect ingredients: there's no mineral oil, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, pegs, ppgs, urea, DEA, TEA, or Pthalates.

This is all well and good- mineral oil is a major irritant/pore clogging ingredient for many people, synthetic fragrances frequently cause reactions for those with sensitive or acne prone skin, and sulfate detergents can be too harsh.

The bad:
- They might be free of the above ingredients, but don't be fooled. Tatcha still uses cheap filler ingredients that have a record for causing breakouts or sensitivity. Talc debuts in first place on the ingredient list for all three of their Enzyme Cleansing Powders. You won't find this listed on their website, because they only list "Actives" rather than all ingredients. Alcohol also shows up in almost all three main liquid based products. Again, this is not in and of itself bad, but it is incriminated frequently as an irritant for sensitive skin, and it tends to be drying.

The ugly:
- I love the idea behind the products- skin care secrets of geisha?? How awesome is that? But the problem is, there doesn't seem to be enough "secrets" here that I couldn't find elsewhere. Instead, there's a large dose of cheap fillers that might actually irritate a good many people with genuinely sensitive skin, and there's a small amount of the "secret" ingredients. Camellia and Rice Bran oils, licorice root, green tea and algae extracts, rice powders, etc.- all of these are potentially excellent ingredients for people with sensitive, aging, and acne prone skin. The problem is, if you dump in a hefty dose of talc and alcohol, the odds are these same people will start to have some unpleasant reactions.

Case in point:
- I have sensitive, combination skin that breaks out only when irritated. It did, however, take me years to realize that I wasn't "oily and acne prone"- so I have some faint scarring from when I broke out after using my dermatologist's prescribed benzoyl peroxide creams. My concerns are: I'm 26, I would like to maintain a clear, pale, smooth complexion; I want to continue fading old redness/dark spots; I want to avoid the sun. Forever.

- Tatcha seemed like it might help me to achieve these things. I've used Mario Badescu's Whitening Masque for years, and I love it. I also get frequent Diamond Microdermabrasions, moisturize religiously, and use sun screen. I wanted to graduate my skincare to one that was more focused on my post-quarter-of-a-century age, and Tatcha's focus on a few natural ingredients seemed like a good start.

My first use of the products wasn't bad. I enjoyed the Camellia Cleansing Oil- it does actually turn milky, but you have to be sure to add water or it will just stay an oil. It took off all of my makeup, and it did leave my skin smooth.

The Enzyme Cleansing Powder was also a treat to use (emphasis on "to use"). It left my skin polished and soft, wasn't abrasive, and didn't irritate while on my skin.

The Brightening Serum: seemed to soak in fairly well, it does leave a faint tackiness, but it wasn't a huge turn off. Ditto for the Moisture Rich Silk Cream- absorbs, does stay a tad sticky, but not anything extreme.

So far so good, right?

Oh, just wait a few hours. The first night, I used it at about 7:30 PM. By 10:00 I was getting cranky. I had been warned by other reviews about the "tingling" that you're supposed to expect from the algae going to work, but by 10:00 it wasn't so much tingling as a faint, constant itch. My skin wasn't red or irritated in appearance, but for the love of God it ITCHED.

When I couldn't stand it any longer, I washed it off with Cetaphil and used my witch hazel hydrosol from From Nature with Love to remove the rest. I put my pearl powder masque on for a few minutes, and topped it off with a good dose of my Oxygen Plasma Serum. My face immediately relaxed, and drifted off into blissful peace.

The next day, I started wondering if this was all a fluke. Maybe it itched because I washed my face, applied my serum and moisturizer, and then later decided on a hot shower. That sounds logical, right? (maybe not, whatever. I'm telling a story here).

So the next night I tried it again. This time, I took my shower first, then waited an hour or so to cleanse, treat and moisturize.

Because I had used the Classic Enzyme Powder the first night, I chose the Gentle this time around. Maybe my skin couldn't handle the other- maybe it wasn't classy enough.

Again, directly after my ritual, everything felt fine. Supple, soft skin, a feeling of silky, moisturized awesomeness.

Two hours later: #*@&$)(@#*&$)(*@ it ITCHES!!! Again, there wasn't any redness to indicate a major irritation, but this time there were painful, blotchy pimples in places I've never had them. I don't break out anymore, mind, I haven't broken out since I tried to use La Roche Posay sunscreen last year and my skin bitch slapped me back to puberty. But this time there were pimples- the kind that look a bit like welts because they're in clusters of clogged pores. It hurt, it itched. I said "screw it" and hopped back into a cool shower to cleanse, treat and apply my old school serums.

Obviously, I decided there had to be more going on here than awesome ingredients like camellia, rice, licorice root, pearls and green tea. All of those ingredients have ended up in my skincare routines over the past few years, and none of them have caused any irritations.

So I did a bit more research. And, lo and behold, there it was: talc

16 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by katilo

I have bought the trial set and then get the whole full size line as gifts so I can say that I have tried all of these products for at least 6 months.
Cleanser: feels and smells extremely luxurious and expensive. It is very gentle on the skin. But if you use a lot of waterproof mascara, I find this oil does not do that good of a job taking them off even compared to cheap cleansing oils like DHC. Also, you do have to use quite a bit of it to create a slick enough layer to massage your face so this is always the first product of the line to run out. All in all, I'd buy it again because i like the feel of it but I don't think it is my smartest purchase.
Powder: my favorite exfoliant of all time. I have struggled with blackheads and large pores all my life and this product, while does not eliminate them completely, has drastically helped while still being gentle to my skin. Many other pore/blackheads control products use very harsh ingredients that would end up aging your skin fast so this Tatcha powder is a godsend. Warning: This probably will not work on people with dry skin. I have combination skin with oily Tzone and normal cheeks, and I avoid the cheek area when using this product. If I happen to use this on my cheeks for several days in a row, I would end up with dry red rashes.
Serum: I do not have acne marks or sunspots so I couldn't quite tell if the serum had any effect on my skin until I stopped using it. My face ended up looking a bit lackluster and less bright. So I 'd buy it again.
Moisturizer: this is the most meh product of the line for me. It did not leave me oily but at the same time it didn't do anything to improve my skin either. I have dehydrated skin so I feel this product is not doing enough and the richer version broke me out. There are many better moisturizers out there at this price range.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2013 9:51:00 AM More reviews by luvskincare00

I registered for this website just to write a review for Tatcha because there was so much hype about it elsewhere. I'm starting to think Youtube reviews are actually paid reviews.
I hated the cleanser- it didn't make my face feel smooth or clean after using it. I experimented with the amount I used and never got the "milky texture" others were raving about. I tried cleansing with just my fingers then gave in and used my Clairsonic with it (not wetting my face though). It was so strange to me- using cleanser without wetting your face or hands.
Next, I personally love a good toner, and the fact that there is no toner in the kit (not sure if Tatcha even has one) but that turned me off. I tried all of the powders (which, geez, how could you even try them, they barely give you enough in the sampler package) and nothing to write home about.
The eye cream was too heavy for me, I ended up giving it to my mom. The serum felt nice and smelled nice but, again, nothing to write home about. I thought I liked the moisturizer (feels nice and smells nice) until I noticed that my face was a total oil pan by the time I got to work (the cream was too heavy and made my face too oily).
As a result, I stopped using the products after less than a week, it was a waste of $50 but whatever. I get better results for my acne prone skin using a $14 bottle of Cerave cleanser and products like MyChelle and PTR. So in my opinion, ignore the hype and skip Tatcha all together, just not worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Swimblock

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the sample set after seeing the banner on Makeupalley and reading all the positive reviews. The set is beautifully packaged and arrives quickly. But I would caution anyone who has sensitive skin as the enzyme powder cleansing grains and the Silky Moisturizing cream stung my skin and I do not ordinarily consider my skin sensitive. I use a clairsonic and retinol every day although I did not use them while I was testing Tatcha. I really was hoping this line would be wonderful for me but no matter which enzyme cleanser I used: gentle, classic or deep, my skin stung, turned red and I felt like I had a burn. Sadly I returned the products. I must be sensitive to one of the ingredients in the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by osullkj

*Update: I still do really really like this stuff. I've just learned that one really doesn't need to spend so much $$$$ on, for example, cleansing oil. Or $150 serum. You just don't. I'll probably only keep buying the mist they make and DIY my own camellia oil. Thanks to the SCB for helping me wise-up.

I am just in love with this line! Everything is wonderful, from the service, packaging, scent, to the products themselves. Unlike the previous reviewer, I have used this for a full three weeks before writing this review. And to be fair, in the clinical trials (http://www.tatcha.com/blog/a-beautiful-truth-tatchas-clinical-results/), users had a full eight weeks. So just give your skin a little time to adjust to simple, natural goodness.

I have combination, acne-prone skin but had tried Shu Uemera cleansing oil without too much trouble (not better but not worse) and it's made with mineral oil which can cause some folks issues. The cleansing oil here is from the Camellia flower so it's so much more gentle. I use it at night followed by my favorite of the line, the rice enzyme powder. I used the deep for easily over a minute and had no troubles (but my skin type is combo). My skin felt so so so soft. The serum is nice also though I haven't been using it long enough to notice a difference in skin tone but again, my skin feels smoother (and again, after at least a full month is when one would start to see those results). I also thought the cream was just right- very light but completely moisturizing. I want to use the blotting papers but haven't been oily enough- keeping those on hand for the summer! If I had to choose only one to repurchase, it'd be the powder but I love them all I am going to save up for "the ritual". In the end, I'm happy so spend money supporting a female entrepreneur who uses natural ingredients and has world-class customer service. Tatcha is the best!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2013 1:51:00 PM More reviews by bunnymum

I also have very sensitive, oily yet dry skin that breaks out over everything. I was nervous to try any of this but given most of the reviews have been stellar AND I am desperately seeking something to keep my pores cleaned, I decided to try the powder.

The thing is, I thought I was trying the GENTLE version but mistakenly used DEEP instead. I panicked when I saw what I had done but given I only used it for 15 seconds, it actually seemed to work very well. My skin was smooth, my pores were clean and I was happy!

I woke up the next morning and for the first time EVER my skin was still dry -- no horrible oil slick! That morning I used my regular cleanser and noticed that all day my skin stayed nice and matte... it was great.

So I decided to use the DEEP cleanser again the second night -- only for about 15 seconds -- and everything was great.

For those keeping score, I've used it two nights in a row -- 15 seconds (and LIGHT scrubbing) each time.

The following morning I awoke and I had HORRIBLE cystic bumps on my nose and chin. Very painful and itchy! Ugh!

After one day of not using the scrub my skin has gone back to normal (cystic bumps almost gone). The sad thing now is that my pores are clogged again!

I'm going to let my skin get completely back to normal and try it again with the GENTLE like I had initially intended. And I think I will try only using it every 2 or 3 days and not daily. Fingers crossed!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by adriann1973

I bought this set after Receiving a free deluxe sample of the cleansing oil. Everything seems to break me out normally. I was a little scared of putting oil on my face. But I use it followed by the exfoliater powder, then the brightening serum, and finally the lighter of the 2 moisturizers for day and the other for night. I didn't think I'd care one way or the other for the blotting Papers since I've been using Palladio blotting papers for years. Strangely enough, they are awesome too. I can totally tell a difference in my skin after only one week. It's awesome. The only complaint is the price of the full-size, Which is why I gave it up for instead of five. I will string the sampler set out for quite a while and then probably buy another sampler set. Beautifully packaged and a handwritten note with 15% off which is why I got this one to begin with when I received the other full-size sample (There was a 15% off code in that one too) Love it