April 20, 2014 | 1842 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Luxurious ColorSilk Buttercream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I need an ammonia-free hair color for my fine strands. Ammonia is WAY too damaging. This has officially replaced Garnier Olia as my top ammonia-free at home hair color. It fades, but not NEARLY as fast as Olia. Good color, too!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by xcrystalizex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this color a while back because of the "buttercream" advertising, the price was right, and because colorsilk is supposed to be the best drugstore color. It will be the only brand I buy from now on! I was going from bleach blonde (salon color job) to wanting a dark chocolate brown. I have rather thick and long hair, so I bought two boxes. Its a good thing I did because I ended up needing both of them. Again, this is probably because I have really thick hair and was wanting all over color. After coloring, I was worried that it was too dark/black, but after the first wash I was happy to see that it was exactly the color I was looking for. A pretty dark chocolate brown. :) I also have some greys and it coverd those very well, too. After conditioning, it left my hair very soft and pleasant to touch. I have naturally curly, dry, brittle hair so this was definitely a plus for me! I would definitely recommend this to others who are interested in trying it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I had used this new Colorsilk Buttercream dye twice and both times it dried my hair significantly more than other brands. I notice as my hair gotten really staticky the past two winters. The trusty regular Colorsilk has a new look too so I hope they did not re-formulate it. Be prepared to condition your hair hardcore with this formula.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:57:00 PM More reviews by Phira

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I needed my roots done before my next pro color and decided on the Revlon Medium Auburn buttercream color. Most of the colors (from other brands) I have used over the years are no longer available at Walgreens or Walmart so I took a chance on this... I was not disappointed! This turned into a beautiful coppery auburn color that shimmers in the sun. It's not a one tone color like most at home colors. The key to any home color is to cover the hair with a shower cap, then when you are ready to rinse it out use warm water first then switch over to cold. I mean seriously cold water. This seals the cuticle and makes the hair color last longer (especially reds). This was a tip my salon colorist gave me when I do my in between pro color touch ups and it works.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 10:06:00 AM More reviews by emily0212

I love this stuff!! I started out with their light auburn and it turned out a nice coppery red. Good for summer. I couldn't find it in stock anywhere and I had $3 off coupons getting ready to expire and burning a hole in my coupon organizer. Found their new dark auburn at Walmart. It's not even on their website, it's that new! $4.49 minus $3 coupon - you do the math!! Nice even cherry red color for $1.49? Oh hell yes, I'll take it. Ammonia free so it doesn't smell as strong/awful as other brands. Pretty gentle too. I just wish the packet of conditioner was bigger. Can't complain for the price I paid!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by hansston

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Garnier Nutrisse got rid of my favorite shade, light ash blonde. Well, at least the stores in my area don't carry it anymore. The only ash shade available around here is the extra light ash blonde which is too light for me. So I've been on the lookout for a replacement. I was hesitant to try the Colorsilk Buttercream because I've had really bad results with the regular Colorsilk. The colors were fine, but it dried out my scalp and made it flake and one time it actually burned my scalp so bad I had to put ice cubes on it to ease the pain. So needless to say I was hesitant to try the new Buttercream. I had tried something similiar, Garnier Olia, with good results. In fact the champagne shade was pretty darn perfect. I know, you're saying why mess with perfection? But the $3 Buttercream coupon lured me in and the fact that it was almost free made up my mind for me.
I chose Medium Neutral Blonde. I really wanted an ash shade because most neutrals and definitely the gold shades turn my hair golden and I'm really looking for neutral, but the Buttercream only had 2 blonde shades to choose from. What's up with that? They have 6 browns and only 2 blonde shades? And no ash blonde. But the website said that the medium neutral blonde had "sophisticated beige" tones so I decided to give that one a try instead of the Ultra Light Sun Blonde which would definitely give me really light gold hair. I only color the roots, which turned out to be a good thing because the shade turned out darker than expected. It's more of a medium/dark blonde, It looks ok because my roots were a dark blonde and it blended it in to the rest of my hair. But the color is not a "sophisticated beige tone" on me, which I should have expected. It's more of a slightly gold dark blonde. The condition of my hair is great and very similar to the Garnier Olia, maybe even better. Also there was no drying or flaking and no burning, yay!! If they add any new Buttercream ash blonde shades I'll definitely buy it again, because of the moisturizing results and the low price, but for now I'll be buying the Olia.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by sardonic_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As a longtime user and lover of classic Revlon Colorsilk, I am greatly disappointed to give this Buttercream version a thumbs down. It has no ammonia, but amazingly did dry my hair out a good bit. I am still confused as to how one product works beautifully for one person and becomes a HG!!!, (Garnier Nutrisse and Nice n Easy are wonderful for many but terrible on my hair) and others rate the same product as terrible. But, that being said, I can't commend them enough on creating safe, soft gentle permanent color in the regular Revlon Colorsilk. But this Buttercream does not provide the same safe, soft expereince. So disappointed, Revlon. :( I may end up having to trim quite a bit of my hair off now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by ArmyBrat

Usually, when I do a single-process color at home, I buy bulk from online beauty supply stores, but I was running short on time & supplies a few days ago, so I grabbed a couple boxes of this while at CVS. I always mix my shades because I like just a touch of golden tones. I mixed LIGHT NATURAL BROWN with MEDIUM GOLDEN BROWN. My hair is natural medium to dark brown with about 10% gray. I also wanted to cover some old highlights. I loved the results! It didn't give that obvious "too dark, newly colored" look, it looked very natural & it covered my old highlights in a way where you can see a subtle difference in tone, which blends in beautifully. The conditioner included with this color is some great stuff too! No dryness at all after coloring! Will for sure purchase again! <3

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 10:35:00 AM More reviews by rainbow4

I love this hair coloring! I am 48 with a lot of grey in my once medium brown hair. I use light natural brown. It covered the Grey's and is reminiscent of my natural hair color. It does not contain ammonia, so my hair does not dry out from it. I have used it 8 times coloring my hair every 3 to 4 weeks. I do my roots 1st and leave it on for 35 min. Then add a little water to the bottle and put it through the rest of my hair for 5 to 10 min.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 9:19:00 AM More reviews by BellaNidia

I used 54g light golden brown its the first time ive used this one I lately have been dying my hair light ash brown and it was quite different but I liked it its much darker than I thought but itll lighten up a little but I dont mind since I wanted to go a tad bit darker for winter. Dye smells jst like the others I did love the coditioner it felt amazing on my hair...planin on keepin it this color all winter