Revlon Luxurious ColorSilk Buttercream

3.8

on 8/15/2015 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Background : 21 year old , coarse thick curly black hair down to my bust. I have a lot of it and it is hard to manage.

This is the only dye that makes my hair manageable through out the whole application process. It is non damaging and every time I use it my hair feels stronger and healthier. I have used this dye for about six months and I could not be happier. It doesn't last very long but that is worth it to me.
$4 a box with out damage I'm fine with buying it. I used to use ganier but it smelled horrible and made my hair feel horrible. The men in my house would complain of the smell. With this. There is no smell. No burning . it simple. Easy. Fast. And efficient. Andy hair is very difficult this is the only dye gentle yet efficient enough for my hair.

I love it!

on 7/19/2015 6:43:00 PM

some background: i have fine, oily, wavy hair, tons of it, down now to just past my shoulderblades, and i've been using this dye in soft black for about four and a half months now. i've always stayed away from dyes because my hair is hilariously particular (just using a few drops too much of an essential oil on my scalp made it itch like a mother f'er for a week until i did an overnight oil mask, to say nothing of the normal shampoos that make it go insane) and i've always been paranoid that box dye would demolish my precariously great hair.

i mention this because this dye process is similar to my normal hair care routine (acid wash tempered by lots and lots and lots of oils that i leave on my hair for awhile), and i completely ignored box directions due to that, which worked out super well for me. i leave it on for about an hour instead of the prescribed 25 minutes (which doesn't even faze my hair, let alone dry it out or damage it in the slightest), and come out the other side with deeply cleansed hair in a lovely black. i forego the conditioner they pack with it and instead do an oil mask for about an hour right afterwards, which guarantees my hair won't fuss or complain.

some caveats:

- i obviously have no idea how it works out for other hair profiles. considering some people's hair comes out lush and hydrated, while others go crazynuts, i'd say this formulation is probably much kinder to people with naturally oily hair. i imagine normal hair could get away with minimal damage with some prep (don't shampoo a couple days beforehand, and definitely don't use a deep cleanse shampoo). if you have dry or fragile hair, the amount of prep you'd need to do probably isn't worth it.

- if you have hair longer than a pixie cut, you're going to need two boxes. i thought i could get away with one box the first time because i wasn't making a dramatic change in shades; i was wrong. i had to go back for a second with a real sad-ass dye job hidden in a ballerina bun and do it again. without touch-ups, the color lasts three months, but if i go that long i need two boxes again. one box every six weeks is an optimal schedule for me.

positives:

- doesn't obliterate my spoiled primadonna hair.

- smells about the best a hair dye can smell.

- great color, distributes evenly among my grey hairs, and looks good even as it fades over the months. soft black is a complex black and looks so natural that everyone in my life was confused as to whether or not i had actually dyed my hair or if they were just misremembering.

- $3 less per box than garnier olia, its main ammonia-free rival in the price bracket. on my dye schedule, i'll go through $45/year with revlon, vs $72/year if i'd gone with garnier. it adds up!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Note: this is just an initial impression sort of review. Sometimes things are wrong at first and then bob upright and I will definitely update this if warranted.

===

I've been using L'Oreal's Mousse Absolue for awhile. It's a dye that everyone seems to hate (gets a 2.1 around these parts...BURN!) but it works well enough for me. That said, it's been a LONG time since I've tried another brand and I figured it would be a good idea to try a more favorably rated formula, at least for comparison's sake.

I purchased this stuff blind a few months ago (which is to say, I didn't read any reviews prior. Just picked it up because it looked promising). For some reason, the instructions scared me away for awhile but I finally bit the bullet and gave this a shot.

It's easy to mix and smells pleasant enough. No ammonia (and no ammonia smell!). It's pretty much your standard semi-permanent hair dye. Mix, leave on for 25 minutes, rinse, condition with provided conditioner..

Things I liked:

1. Cheap.

2. Easy to mix.

3. Dye doesn't smell awful and conditioner smells good (scent seems inspired by Morrocanoil products).

Things I didn't like:

1. Not enough formula. I have hair that's just past my chin and there was barely enough to get by. If you have medium length hair or longer, you may want to buy two boxes to be on the safe side.

2. Holy tangle city, Batman! Or whatever the phrase is. I know I just completely mangled it, but you get the idea. Barely able to finger comb product into hair; tried a wide tooth comb and it just went, "no, not happening". (To be fair, my hair is dry, fine and porous and just a general PITA, but this stuff was relatively more scary than other products as far as trying to get full-coverage with product). A fair number of hairs were definitely sacrificed.

3. Hair felt dry and still super-tangled after rinsing/conditioning. First blow dry wasn't fun. Hopefully that's just first day stuff and things will get better.

4. Iffy outcome. Hair not nearly as super shiny or pretty as with Mousse Absolue. I know, I know, you guys hate that stuff, but it gets me good results. Welp! Feeling like a hair outcast.

That all said, this is truly a first impression review and my feelings about this stuff could do a 180 after the first post-dye wash. At this point, I don't recommend it, but may give the plain vanilla (and higher-rated) ColorSilk formula a try next time.

EDIT 6.30.2015/AKA Dear Diary About Boringness No One Cares About: First wash was an improvement, but while my hair looks better than before I dyed it, I've gotten better results with other products.

In particular, this is a disappointment in the shine department. Hair is relatively lackluster given that this is what should be the fun, shiny, color-saturated stage. Based on experience to date, probably won't repurchase, unless this has magical staying powers that other dyes don't have. Skeptical :/.

This is neither a bad product nor a great one. So far, it lands squarely in the realm of "meh, not bad, but eh, could do better".

EDIT 7.02.2015: It was less than a week ago that I used this stuff and I'm going to have to ding it a lippy down to two. This has left my hair feeling dull, dry and the color is just off. It's fading already to a sort of brassy greeshish tinged tone. It looks like I used it six weeks ago, not five days ago. I'm not sure how this has a much better rating than the much maligned L'Oreal Mousse Absolue (the only other brand I've used in recent memory).

I don't think the reviews/ratings are wrong or anything (wisdom of the crowd and all); just confused and curious. Maybe this one works well with healthier hair and that one is better for crap hair (which mine is)? Maybe I lucked out with the shade from Absolue and and the shade I chose from this one is a dud? I dunno! Truly no idea! Just weird being such an outlier.

Anyway, personally dissatisfied with this one and won't be using it again. I cannot recommend it based on my own experience and outcome, but if it works for you, fantastic!

on 4/10/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I was once a red head. Like many women of a certain age, I was told go lighter and blonder. Red is aging. I know from experience red color on gray hair does scary things. I used the dark blond and 1/2 a bottle of med. auburn. Left it on for 30 min. Have natural looking red hair, and people tell me I don't look tired. (Polite euphemism for old) I also cropped my hair pretty short so I had enough color. I also use a brush to start at the roots. I wish they included more conditioner, but for the price, I'll buy conditioner. It smells okay too. Some products either smell too bad jasmine perfumy or like strong floor cleaner. I think Revlon does a great job with color. I usually use colorsilk, but this stuff was on sale. It was probably sheer dumb luck that the colors mixed well and I didn't come out with a color that only exists in bottles or cartoons like Science Fiction Gold or Bozo the Clown Red. I am sure I'll have to do a gloss treatment cause red hair fades, but this diy worked and beats arguing with a colorist about going blonder and paying a small fortune. Life is too short not to wear bright orange with red hair.

on 4/10/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I normally use the regular Colorsilk which I do like but I saw this one that was supposed to be moisturizing so I tried it out. I purchased the color black but I noticed this black is not as dark as the regular Colorsilk. Ironically this actually dried out my hair. It has been about four years since I last dyed my hair it was healthy so I have no idea why that happened. I had to deep condition for weeks. The regular colorsilk is probably more moisturizing. Also, itís been about 3 weeks and the color has completely faded. Iím NEVER buying this again!

on 4/3/2015 11:53:00 AM

Reading the reviews while at HEB I had made the decision to try it. Even without this fictional coupon everyone keeps telling me about. The Pro's: it did an amazing job at coloring my hair. I mean, flat out fantastic. It did not damage my hair. I accidentally left it on for almost an hour because I lost track of time. My hair is super soft. I nice natural cinnamon color. It made my roots even with the rest of my hair, which is amazing because some parts where natural, some parts were dyed and some parts were bleached then dyed. So now my hair is a pretty, dark cinnamon red. The cons: everyone is right the bottles and conditioning treatments are small. I'm growing out a pixie so right now I'm between a pixie and a bob. It would be stretching it if I had shoulder length hair. Anything longer will need two packages. I love the conditioner but not enough.

on 2/25/2015 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Just used this product in 30N - Dark Brown. I left it on only 20 minutes, as my hair takes color fast. IT turned out to be a delicious dark brown color, which did completely cover my gray hairs and left it shiny and quite silky. The only drawbacks would be the generic gloves and the small containers of after color conditioner. I will use this again, as I did get the color I wanted and it feels terrific.

on 2/15/2015 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

After my hair color faded from using L'Oreal Superior Preference Paris Lumiere in Black Sapphire 2BL, I used Revlon Buttercream in Soft Black 11WN. According to haircolor.wikia.com, soft black hair is level 3. The color was a light black and neutral tone. I loved the color and my hair did not feel stripped or dry after dying. It took a while for the color to fade (which is a plus for Revlon). Overall, my hair came out a pretty jet black and shiny. I recommend it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought the Light Golden Brown shade. I color my medium brown color hair because I have pesky first grays coming in at 42 years old. I usually go to a salon to have my hair colored, but I've havent had the time to make it to one. I had a coupon for this hair color, did my homework on MUA and saw Revlon Color Silk Hair color was a review favorite.

The packaging? Standard for box color. Its fine. Tube of color, developer and conditioner...fine too although I admit I use a bowl and color brush to apply my hair color vs the bottle. The only think I thought was a little sub par was the gloves, come Revlon, can you give us one that has a more substantial feel to them? The ones that came with the kit were so flimsy.

The smell of the Hair Color once mixed with the developer was actually nice. Not stinky, although I'm attributing the fact this formulation is ammonia free. The consistency is a little runny, like egg batter. But still very usable. It spread nicely.

After using, it covered all my grays nicely. It didn't leave my hair with patchy color spots or weird roots (but I suspect it also has to do with the fact I apply this carefully and slowly-no slapping it on if I want good, even results). The conditioner that came with conditioned my hair nicely, it was 3 butters in it, Shea, Mango and Argan (?).

I would definitely buy this again. Now I know why this is a MUA fave and it garners such high praise. It does what it says it claims to do and its a very affordable price. It's a keeper for sure.

on 1/18/2015 9:35:00 PM

Okay, I'll make this short.. my hair went from a soft, full bounce, to a frizzy, dry mess!! I want to cry! I want to cry! I lost about a handful of hair, it just kept falling out as I was washing it out. I'm disgusted, and I am mad at myself for buying it. Do not buy this product!