October 2, 2014 | 1344 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Pressed Pigment (all)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like these, they are very glittery and pretty, but I can't wear them to work and be taken seriously. So they stay in my drawer until I go out drinking on the weekends. I have Light Touch and Vanilla Diamond and they are beautiful.

I would rate them higher but I just found out that Estee Lauder just broke into the Chinese market, and they require animal testing. So now MAC does perform animal testing because it's required by Chinese law. UGH.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by ishiharaseth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I buy these all the time. The pigmentation is to die for, as is the amount you get for the price - they'll last you years if you know what you're doing! Wet your brush before dipping it into the lid and use primer before you sweep it on your eyelids for maximum payoff. <3

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by squg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was expecting more color pay off from these. You must be careful when using these dry, they're very glittery, so you can easily end up with glitter all over your face. I prefer to use these wet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

I confess - I expected these to be like competitors' sparkle eyeshadows - pressed on with a finger because they're big chunky sparkles. I'M SO PLEASED. These are outstanding. SO creamy and soft, easy to blend and apply. I tried them wet this morning thinking water wouldn't do much, but it made a beautiful glaze on my lids. The colors are awesome, though I wish they'd make some of the more popular ones from recent collections permanent. I couldn't nab Damson in time. I'm just so excited, as these don't have ingredients I'm allergic to (vitamin E) like everything else MAC now makes. Can't recommend these enough!

If you want small sparkles that just illuminate your eye (these aren't metallic, mind you) - something to really perk up your eyes - this is the product for you!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Based on the reviews and comments I've read, this product seems to be a hit-or-miss, and I completely understand why. For that reason, I'm going to disregard my avoidance of writing biased reviews and write an opinionated review for this product.
Pressed Pigments are permanent. They were recently released for the MAC Spring 2013 collection.
I own these in Amethyst, Blue Willow, Light Touch, Warming Heart, Smoky, and Deeply Dashing, and Jet Couture (I have separate reviews for each).
All the shades are gorgeous and very pigmented. However, if you aren't a fan of glitter, then these aren't for you, because they have loads of glitter! I love using these when I want a super fun, deliciously sparkly look--they're my go-to for a night out or special occasion. I think it's the excessive amount of glitter that makes some people abhor this product.
But, honestly, most of the controversy of this product comes in its application. Now, this is where it gets tricky. You'd think Pressed Pigments would be easier to apply than Pigments, but they're not.
I've tried using this with multiple application methods:
-Dry, MAC 239 brush, w/ UDPP: Tons of glitter fall-out off the brush! There's also some fall-out under my eye.
-Dry, MAC 239 brush, w/o UDPP: TONS of fall-out! Too messy!
-Dry, fingers, w/ UDPP: Your fingers pick up more of the actual pigment than glitter, so fall-out is minimal. But this also means that more of the product stays onto your fingers than on your eyelid when applying.
-Dry, fingers, w/o UDPP: Your fingers pick up more of the actual pigment than glitter, so you have less fall-out than if you used a brush. There's still some fall-out though. But this also means that more of the product stays onto your fingers than on your eyelid when applying.
-Wet, MAC 239 brush, w/ UDPP: Pigmentation varies from shade to shade, but generally it's the same as dry, only a bit more metalllic-looking. Some fall-out occurs.
-Wet, MAC 239 brush, w/o UDPP: Pigmentation varies from shade to shade, but generally it's the same as dry, only a bit more metalllic-looking. Some fall-out occurs.
-Wet, fingers, w/ UDPP: Your fingers pick up more of the actual pigment than glitter, so fall-out is minimal. But this also means that more of the product stays onto your fingers than on your eyelid when applying. Looks a bit more metallic. Minimal fall-out.
-Wet, fingers, w/out UDPP: Your fingers pick up more of the actual pigment than glitter, so fall-out is minimal. But this also means that more of the product stays onto your fingers than on your eyelid when applying. Looks a bit more metallic. Minimal fall-out.

I find that using fingers (wet or dry, w/ UDPP or some other tacky base or primer) is the best method. Brushes work too, as evident above, but if you want less fall-out, then fingers are the way to go.
But I should note that I honestly don't think that UDPP is tacky enough to "stick" on the glitter of the Pressed Pigment. You're going to need to use a stickier base, like MAC Water-Based Mixing Medium (I use this with loose Pigments all the time, but I haven't tried it with these yet) or maybe even MAC Paint Pots.
I also think that the MAC 215 is a better brush option than 239 (MAC recommends you use this brush too), because it's more dense, hence picking up more product. I don't have the 215, though.
I'm not quite too sure about its wear time, but I would guess that it's about the same as MAC eyeshadows. The only difference would most likely be the fall-out. You're no doubt going to experience some fall-out without some kind of base or primer, so I highly recommend you use one.
The reason why I rated this product a 4 is because this product has tons of potential, but not very many people are patient enough to stick around long enough to discover it--either that, or they dislike the glitter, or they just can't handle the fall-out. I strongly recommend you not give up on this product! Just play around with it, like I did, and see how it works best for you. THEN you can use your judgement to decide if you like it or not.
It costs $21 for 0.1 oz. (3 g) of product.
Would I repurchase? Yes.