Topix Replenix Sheer Physical SUNSCREEN CREAM SPF 50

2.9

Active ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13.75%. Inactive ingredients: Acrylates Crosspolymer-4, Ascorbic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Biotin, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Polyphenols, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, CetylPEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dicetyl Phosphate, Disodium EDTA, Emblica Officinalis Fruit Extract, Glyceryl Isostearate, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Phospholipids, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Potassium Hydroxide, Purified Water, Retinyl Palmitate, Resveratrol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q-10), Xanthan Gum.

on 4/27/2015 5:30:00 PM

I used Topix Glycolix Elite Sunscreen (SPF30) for years and years and had wonderful luck with it. My only complaint was/is the white cast. I went hunting for an all-physical sunscreen that did not give a white cast and tried quite a few without finding one that was just right. I actually bought this product last summer, when I saw that Topix had a tinted all-physical sunscreen and that it even had a higher SPF. I found it absolutely impossible to remove with my gentle Neocutis cleanser. Thought I'd give it a try this year and attempted to remove it with avocado oil followed by the cleanser. Still did not even come close to removing it. Since I was desperate to get it off my face, I picked up my bar of Dove hand soap and washed with that, followed by a second go-over with the Neocutis. Worked perfectly. I was worried about using the Dove on a regular basis but, after approximately 10 days of the new routine, I think I can safely say that I am loving this! I use pure seabuckthorn oil as my daytime moisturizer and top it with this. I then use the Tarte Amazonian BB cream for some added color. This sunscreen seems to function as a primer as well -- fills in pores, corrects some redness around my nose and generally gives me more of an air-brushed look. I find it a TINY bit drying but have increased the amount of seabuckthorn oil from 4 to 5 drops to help counteract that. I highly recommend this product!!

on 1/6/2015 11:41:00 AM

I tried a sample of this yesterday, and this morning I have two big, almost cystic pimples on my forehead. I have sensitive, acne prone skin, but I NEVER get zits on my forehead.

I have the Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen Spray SPF 50 and for some reason that doesn't break me out, though it is very drying.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is a great sunblock, for those that want a sheer, matte product. But, on the downside, it has no white color to lighten, whiten & brighten skin.

It is fragrance free, non irritating & 'chemical free' (zinc oxide is still a chemical contrary to what some may think). It is not overly thick & it is not greasy. Because it contains a high amount of zinc oxide, it is both soothing & anti-bacterial (which helps if you are acne prone). It does not pill up or flake off once applied. It is oil free, non-acnegenic, non-comdeogenic & has never caused me to breakout. It provides complete UVB/UVA protection, and has a high SPF.

I won't be buying it again though, because it is both 1) matte & 2) sheer & not white. I like a glow - not a dry, matte look. Also, I prefer my porcelain skin to be it's lightest, brightest & whitest possible - so I love the white tint that other zinc oxide sunblocks provide, what this sunblock is definitely missing.

on 9/10/2013 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Oily, acne prone skin. Still in my search for my HG ss. At first this was decent. Nice finish, no white cast, did seem a little mask like, but I dealt with it. Then about a week in I started to breakout like crazy.!! Beware if your acne prone and sensitive to cones. I will be returning this

on 7/29/2013 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have only been using this product for about two weeks now, and so far have not had any adverse reactions, but I will update this review if my opinion changes.

For reference, I have normal to slightly dry skin.

This sunscreen comes in a simple squeeze tube that is hygienic and makes it easy to control the amount of product you want.

Texture-wise, this is nice light-weight, thin cream. It looks creamier than it feels when you apply it. There's also no scent to this, which is great for those who are sensitive to fragrance.

Applying this is the part where things got a little tricky for me. When I first tried this, I did get some product balling up which really disappointed me as I thought this was definitely going to be my HG sunscreen for the summer. Later, I realized that it was the serums (Paula's Choice RESIST Ultra Light Antioxidant Serum and Skin Brightening Treatment) I was using underneath that were balling up and NOT this product. I suppose those serums didn't provide enough "slip" for this sunscreen to go over, because when I tried applying another more emollient sunscreen on top of the serums before using the Replenix, I was able to get it to apply smoothly and evenly without anything balling up at all. Otherwise, this product spreads and is rubs in easily. I now use this sunscreen with the more emollient sunscreen underneath, both for added moisture and to make the application of the Replenix sunscreen easier.

Initially after application, it feels a little moist/tacky to the touch. This sensation dissipates almost immediately though, and this is the fastest drying sunscreen that I have used to date. When I used this alone, it quickly set to a satin-matte finish that did not feel drying at all. I wouldn't really consider this a "hydrating" product for my normal-slightly dry skin, although for oily-skinned guys and gals this may definitely provide enough moisture. When paired with something more emollient underneath, as expected, this did not dry down nearly as quickly, or as much, and provided a more satin-y look. With something more moisturizing underneath, this did remain a more "tacky" than on its own, which I'm okay with, since it provided a better base for makeup application than when used alone.

In terms of applying base makeup on top, I found that the Replenix used alone "grabbed" whatever base makeup I was using a little too strongly - my foundation seemed a bit harder to blend on top of it. Again, this became a non-issue for me once I used a more moisturizing product underneath.

One of the BEST features of this sunscreen to me is it's high SPF protection with ZERO white cast! It has even less of a white cast than my chemical SPFs, which supposedly don't even leave a white cast at all. Plus, as this is a pure mineral sunscreen, there is no burning around the sensitive areas of the eyes/mouth/nose.

To me, the price is a tad on the high side at $29/2 oz. for a product that needs to be applied liberally. However, I buy this on sale at places like Skinstore/Dermstore when they have 20% off, plus shop through sites such as Ebates to get the best bang for my bucks. When all the discounts are added up, I end up paying around $20, which I think is a steal for a product as great as this.

Although this product comes with a few (minor) caveats, I definitely think it's worth a try to see if it works for your skin. The high SPF without any white cast and the light, satin-matte texture stand out in a world of sunscreens that are too greasy, whitening, or don't provide enough protection. Definitely a winner for me and a product that I will repurchase!

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

For dry skin, this "cream" just isn't moisturizing enough. The cones dry to a matte finish and leave me feeling dry all day; and a matte finish isn't the most flattering for an almost 50-year-old. This ss must be removed with MU remover or oil. I should add that I tried this for just a few days, and it did not break me out, but I was careful to remove it with OC method. Also, I tried applying over shea butter to get rid of the dry feeling, but it just sat there or got on my clothes if they touched my face; the cones need dry skin to adhere or perhaps be set with powder, though I didn't try that. I wasn't out in the sun, so I can't speak to effectiveness. Still looking for HGSS...

on 1/10/2013 11:56:00 PM

*********THIS IS NOT THE "SPF 50 Moisturizer." That's a different product. See my "ALTERNATES" section for more info.**************

PROS: Moisturizing but lightweight. The texture is for someone who wants a matte finish. Product from a very reputable source and has lots of anti-aging ingredients like Vitamin C and CoQ10 among many others. All physical sunscreen means no extra redness for my sensitive skin/rosacea. SPF 50 means I am actually protected against the sun WITHOUT the following: greasiness, product balling up on my skin, white cast (but see cons section). The price is reasonable for the quality, and a little goes a long way. I would think this could even work well for those who are oily because the moisture is light, but I'm not sure. There are no parabens and no alcohol and no fragrance and no oil. Wears great under makeup. Does not ball up on skin.

CONS: Not the cheapest in the world, but the value is excellent for that price (about $29 for 2 oz. at places like skinstore.com). Also it's a con that I have to order it and can't get it at a local drugstore, etc. I'm not sure how well this protects me. I don't think it is really protecting me like a 50.

PURCHASING TIPS: I can get this cheaper at places like skinstore.com

ALTERNATES: There is a spray version, but I tried both and prefer the extra moisture of the cream for my dry skin. There is also a version that is called "Antioxidant Moisturizer SPF 50" in the silver tube that is great for my very dry skin but also doesn't give true SPF 30 for me (and leaves me quite "dewy" and it has a slight tint that some with cool tones may not like.)

Trader Joe's Enrich SPF15 is moisturizing but not greasy at all. When I need 30 or above, I use Hawaiaan Tropic's Silk Hydration or some name like that (but it can clog me if I use it for more than a few days in a row, so I only use it when I'm going to be in the sun a lot that day).