December 18, 2014 | 1640 users online

Other - Jason Natural Cosmetics - Sea Fresh Strengthening Toothpaste (Fluoride-Free)

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by husserl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had been breaking out at the corners of my mouth for over three weeks straight despite aggressive treatment. The lovely folks on the skin-care board suggested I might be having a bad reaction to my toothpaste.

As it turns out, there are a lot of ingredients in "conventional" toothpastes that can make a break out go from bad to worse. SLS (sodium laureth sulfate) and Fluoride are two ingredients that can contribute to sensitivities and breakouts in individuals with sensitive skin. At the time, I was really desperate and didn't want to spend too much time figuring out if I was sensitive to one or the other, so I tried to find a toothpaste that was SLS and Fluoride-free. I still don't know which ingredient bothers me, but I got results with this toothpaste.

As it turns out, it is somewhat easy to find a toothpaste without SLS but it is harder to find a Fluoride-free toothpaste. Fluoride shows up even in "natural" toothpaste brands too, so be sure to read labels carefully! I wanted to write a review for this one in case anyone is having the kind of trouble I had finding a brand that was "free" of these ingredients.

About two days after I switched to this toothpaste, my breakouts started to finally heal up with proper treatment. It drastically reduced the irritation in the area which allowed my skin to heal. As a bonus, my lips are less chapped than they normally are at this time of year.

This particular toothpaste is a bit more expensive than your average drugstore toothpaste. It tastes okay (I was bracing myself for something really odd and 'natural' tasting), it's not gritty, and it also lathers a decent amount. As an added bonus, it has a flip-cap which I like because I'm always dropping my toothpaste cap on the floor or down the sink when I'm groggy in the morning!

I think it does everything I expect a toothpaste to do, but please be aware that it doesn't contain fluoride or any whiteners. If you need those kinds of ingredients in your oral care regimen, you will need to supplement accordingly. It's been suggested that the PM-brushing can be the most irritating to the skin surrounding your mouth because some people drool in their sleep and the additives in the toothpaste can contribute to irritation (gross, but it makes sense) so maybe this will be a good night-time toothpaste for some people. I use it AM and PM for now, but I'm considering switching to PM-only eventually since I really do love whitening toothpastes.

Here's an ingredient list (as of the date of this review):

Calcium Carbonate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Carrageenan, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Aphanizomenon Flos-Aquae Powder, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Carum Petroselinum (Parsley) Extract , Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Perilla Ocymoides Seed Extract, Stevia, Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract, Silica, Sodium Bicarbonate