Garnier Olia

2.5

on 3/25/2015 10:02:00 PM

Awful!! I thought Id give this dye a try since it appeared to be a permanent nourishing colour. I wanted something that would sustain brightness and colour. I purchased the intense copper. My hair was a natural mousy blonde and a brighter blonde at the bottom. I'd dyed my hair this colour previously but with semi ferria colour so I knew my hair took to it fine before with another dye. Anyway so for starts the bottle is just a weird shape and material and difficult to get a grip on so now my bathroom is dyed. I found it odd that it was to be applied to dry hair. Normally colours like this are applied to wet hair. So yeah it just didn't look right when first applying it looked really light like basically clear and didn't appear to be taking much effect for a very long while, of course it doesn't take effect straight away but it just looked weird like you know it should start to change quite alot in this hair colour senario. Then it looked as though some parts of my hair were going purple, bits were taking more than others and there seemed to be all sorts of weird shades going on. It was. Also incredibly difficult to spread, this was probably due to the dry hair application I dunno it's wasn't right. I covered it all and it looked like purple it was really dark. I left it for the time stated half hour then when I wahed it out and towel dried it looked really light. I brush my hair and it's like peach coloured. It's practicalky still blonde with peach colouring to it with bits of blonde that look like they've not been touched and then random bits and patches of bright orange m. It was such a mess awful. I followed all correct Steps and I've never had trouble with this colour in other brands. Usually get great bright even coverage so not just me being stupid. I had to go out and get loreal ferria to go over

on 3/23/2015 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I waited a full 2 weeks to review this haircolor. After reading all the negatives I wanted to give it a fair shake. I have partial greying hair. I use a dark brown color. I am not picky. Recently I have been coloring with foam color (John Freda’s) and not thrilled with the grey coverage. I just happened to have a coupon for Garnier and as a luck would have it, the drug store was out of the color I needed in the foam version. So I tried this blind without seeing all the negatives prior. In a nutshell:
Cons:
1) The mixing process is a hassle
2) The Applicator bottle is oversized and awkward
Other than that – its haircolor? They are all more or less THE SAME…
Pros:
1) Complete grey coverage
2) Little to no ammonia smell
3) Color has not faded (dark brown anyway complaints seem to be linked to red?)
As someone who has to color every 4-6 weeks the cumbersome applicator is enough to make me run from purchasing again. But the color has lasted just as long if not longer than other brands, and initial grey coverage has been better than most.

This hair dye is terrible. The application bottle is lousy and hard to grip due to it being round and the product just doesn't work.
I left it on for the time period and it didn't change anything, like didn't even change my regrowth which since i am a blonde and my hair is red should have at least changed that but it didn't.
Do not waste your money on this product. I've not got to wait until my hair recovers enough to try again, this time i think ill pay someone to do it for me.

on 3/19/2015 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have dark brown hair and I find it boring, so I thought black would be nice to try since it is also dark it should be fairly easy to maintain. I did not want to use harsh hair dye so I tried this one.

I used the darkest black the first time, and then the blue black the second time. I was looking for that shiny black color.

They both looked awesome after dyeing, but after only a few washes started to fade.

The darkest black was okay, turned to brownish black in a couple weeks... The blue black shade was the worst, after the first wash it lost half the blue tones, and after second and third wash it was back to plain brownish black... meh. I used colour protect shampoo and conditioner. It is becoming less and less black with each wash, it is still dark but has some brown locks.

So this made me give up on black hair colour. I am going to try some shade of brown a bit lighter than mine, but not Olia again after this... And I didn't see any brown shade interesting enough to make me consider trying Olia again.

Is this supposed to be permanent? It really doesn't last...

on 3/18/2015 2:38:00 PM

on 3/15/2015 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Did not like this product at all, it did not cover my gray roots . The color which was deposited vanished quickly . Probably the worst I have ever used. I have found and excellent product since though . Check my next review.

on 3/12/2015 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Usually I can find at least one redeeming quality of a product I've purchased but the only appreciation I have is for the gloves because they're an improvement from most box dyes which come with huge giant bigfoot gloves.

Anyways, I believe I've used this color in a shade of auburn, dark brown, and also light brown. Not sure the actual #'s but I doubt that makes a difference.

I HATE the applicator bottle. I get trying to beat the competition but they're not blowing anyone out of the water with that giant bulbous bottle. Not only is it large in comparison to the amount of product, which makes me panicked thinking I need to buy more, but when the gloves get covered with dye during, the bottle slips out of my hands because its so smooth and round. But OK that could just be my own derpiness.

The actual color coverage is piss poor. I'm like the Bruce Lee of hair dying lol, I mean I'm not the new kid on the block and though I'm thorough, the shit just doesn't penetrate.

and WORST OF ALL, the conditioner is basically the same as the regular garnier conditioner you can buy for 3$. Like really? I mean honestly, L'oreal Excellence comes with some kick ass conditioner even Revlon colorsilk beats the watery crap that comes with this product. Like maybe if they didn't spend money trying to reconstruct the bottle to be some hard-to-handle goofy lightbulb thing, they could've invested in some actual deep conditioner.

So, theres my rant. If you wan't good color, I suggest taking your bum to Sallys or a beauty supply and purchasing Ion or Wella brand. However if you're not comfortable enough to mix and pick your own color + developer or prefer a box dye that comes with all the extras, I suggest L'oreal Excellence, Feria, even Revlon Colorsilk before this.

on 3/8/2015 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I was very impressed by this product. Mixing was easy.. cream had a pleasant smell. I was dreading the dye stains I typically get all over after dying my hair black but when I got out of the shower I had none! The conditioner that comes with it made the dye come out easier. 100% grey coverage. Will repurchase again.

The worst. I have dark thick hair and have to use bleach blonde dye to turn it any shade lighter, which in the past has always worked fine. However, with this devil my hair was left patchy and awful. Stay away. Don't even walk in the aisle it's lurking in. Danger! Danger!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

WARNING. OLIA GARNIER HAIR COLOR DOES CAUSE HAIR BREAKAGE.
I am no amateur to hair coloring. This past summer, I took a break and let my hair 'breathe' from coloring with my normal 'Feria', which I love. I had it trimmed, deep conditioned it twice a week and let my naturally curly hair hang loose and free from styling products or my blow dryer. I had intended to make a 'color' change in October and I wanted my hair to be beautiful. I took excellent care of my hair.
October, I decided to try Olia Hair color, noting it did not contain 'ammonia' and was 'gentle', yet covered gray. My hair was in very good shape, no problems. I used Olia, loved the un-chemical smell, the packaging, the ease of application, which I followed completely. The coverage was decent, although somewhat patchy, but my hair being curly and a lot of it, I didn't complain. I noticed hair breakage, but, again, did not feel too concerned. My hair felt a little stiff, somewhat plastic, but felt that would pass after a thorough shampoo and conditioning. It didn't, and my hair was 'breaking' after every normal shampoo. I use L'oreal cleansing conditioner, leave in conditioner and oleo shine serum, as well as the hair mask, for deep conditioning.
Okay, November, root time again. Hair is feeling very stiff to the point I can no longer run my hands through my hair and now, I am getting concerned about the breakage, which was not normal. Had my hair trimmed again, but it did not alleviate the 'helmet head' feel or the breakage. Still would not admit it was Olia.
December, root touchup, the breakage would not stop and I was 'shedding cat balls' all over my home. My hair did not feel like my hair. I had no allergic reaction to this product, but I could no longer admit, something was not wrong. Alot of people are complaining about hair breakage with this product, but I passed it off. I decided to have my hair 'cut' to a jaw length curly bob, feeling that would alleviate the problem.
Nope and my January root touchup and all the breakage after that major hair cut, plus the horrible 'feel' of my hair, convinced me, enough was enough.
I removed Olia completely, using L'oreal Super Blonde, watching the bleach process like a 'hawk' and lifted it to a level 7, copper red. I had to do this to remove the 'candle wax sludge buildup' of this haircolor and return my hair to it's normal, soft, curly texture. I wanted this formula completely gone from my head. My hair is now back to it's silky curls. I experienced no breakage even after bleaching and it styles beautifully once again.
IT IS MARCH AND STILL, NO BREAKAGE.
Anyone will lose normal resting hair, but using Olia haircolor, my hair breakage was way beyond normal and the 'rat ball nest' feeling was horrible. I have never had that experience in my lifetime of using haircolor. By the way, I take no prescription medicine or anything else, that might have caused or added to my dilemma.
PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION. If you notice a lot of hair breakage, do not think it is you, stop using this product. The complaints, that other's have had, is very valid. I never have done a review, but feel so strongly about this, I had to tell you my experience. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING and I wish I had listened to other reviewers here and on other sites, who had this same experience. I wish I could give this product a '0' lippie and am very turned off to all of the entire 'garnier' products because of it.