October 21, 2014 | 1758 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Olia

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

For the last 4 years I have been dyeing my hair bright red and have used Garnier Nutrisse Creme to help me achieve those luscious results. The shade I used was 6.60, Light Intense Red. Because my natural hair colour is a light-medium brown and the Garnier Nutrisse Creme colour I was using was specifically formulated for darker hair, I was a bit hesitant to make the switch to Olia which did not specify that it was for darker hair. I ended up trying it anyways in colour 6.60 Light Intense Auburn and it has been the haircolour I have been using to maintain my red hair for the past 3 months. I'm not sure that I like the colour as much as the Nutrisse Creme but the one major thing that convinced my to switch to Olia was the condition my hair was left in after I dyed it.
When I used Nutrisse Creme my hair was never in bad condition but it did feel a bit dry whereas with Olia, my hair is silky soft and shiny. I believe that hair health is essential, especially when it comes to maintaining red hair since you typically have to dye it more frequently than with other hair colours. I also much prefer the packaging of Olia over Nutrisse Cream because I am a total sucker for sleek packaging and the teardrop shape of the bottle doesn't bother me. The excess amount of packaging does seem a bit wasteful however. The hair dyeing experience with Olia is also considerably more pleasant because the dye has a very light fragrance since there is no ammonia, whereas when you dye your hair with any ammonia colour like Nutrisse Creme, it can feel like you're suffocating when applying the dye. For the most part, once I have applied the Olia dye to my whole head and rinsed it out properly, my hair looks vibrant and the roots are fresh looking however every now and again, despite generously saturating my hair with the colour and massaging it into my scalp, my hair at the roots will not take to the dye and this is a problem I have only ever encountered with the Olia hair dye. While it is a bit inconvenient, I don't mind applying the dye a second time on the root area just to make sure everything is saturated if it means healthier hair in the long run. I've read in the review's of others that Olia left their hair a bit patchy so I definitely believe this is a problem of the product and not of the user's hair. If you are dyeing your hair for the first time on virgin hair and want to use Olia, I recommended that you dye your hair first with a colour from the Garnier Nutrisse line and then for subsequent touch ups you can use Olia to avoid the all-over patchy effect. Despite my hair not taking to the colour, I also think that Olia is really, really overpriced for drugstore hair dye. I used to buy my Nutrisse Cream for $11.99 which I thought was a bit steep, but Olia costs $14.99 per box in Canada and I need two boxes to do my whole head of hair! The only reason I can justify spending so much money on at home hair dye is because it goes on sale quite often for around $10.99 and so I only buy it then.
Overall, when it comes to the Nutrisse Cream versus Olia comparison on the colour result of the hair dye, I prefer Nutrisse Cream since I know that my hair is going to be completely covered every time. That being said, I will be sticking with Olia because the colour result after touching up is just as radiant as with Nutrisse Cream while preserving the health of my hair, the dyeing experience is more pleasant, and I can find it on sale cheaper than Nutrisse Cream. I recommend this for those looking to maintain a colour they already have and are looking to nurse their hair back to health while achieving beautiful results.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by blondeattack

This product (sandy blonde 8.13) is hard to figure out from it's packaging which meant I spent a good few minutes trying to figure everything out. I am very sensitive on my scalp and my scalp did tingle slightly when applied but nothing to worry about as I have used this product many times before and it also goes away when washed off. The colours come out nice, and the pre-packed conditioner means my hair is soft to touch afterwards. However, the colour (for me) does not last long and there are a limited number of shades available where I live.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by robertasummers

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Garnier Olia is a great product. Gentle on the scalp and good color, however the packaging makes it so frustrating to use that I'm looking around for another non-ammonia product. Why have you made it so ridiculously hard to use? Since I can't buy the Medium Golden Blonde in my city, I have to order it online and I order six at a time. The boxes are too big to store. Then it's almost impossible to get the developer out of the tube and into the dispenser. Why don't you put the developer in the dispenser? Once I get the color and the developer into the dispenser it takes five minutes to get them to mix together. Today I'd was ready to put on the after color conditioner and for the umpteenth time couldn't get the cap off and had to get out of the shower and get a rubber glove to give me some grip--still couldn't get the cap off. For the fourth or fifth time, I got scissors and cut the bottom off so I could use it. Who is the foggy blue morning designed your packaging? Send them back to the drawing board to rethink it so the product is user friendly.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2014 10:43:00 AM More reviews by aleigh35

I've been a serial red-hair-dye hopper. I can't commit to a single brand, and this one didn't change me, but it's very, very good. I used 4.6 Dark Intense Auburn (a shade which doesn't seem to exist in the UK?? The 4.6 here is Deep Red and that is muuuuuuch bolder than the shade in the US).

This wasn't any more or less drying than any other box dye, but I would buy a tube of the conditioner if I could. Didn't reek, but my sense of smell is pretty weak, so it might stink if you're more sensitive to smell. The botlle was awkward to hold, especially in a plastic gloved hand; I liked the skinny little nozzle, though. Ran like crazy the first few water rinses, and I had some issues with it bleeding onto clothes/towels/pillowcases, but surprisingly, all of that washed out in the washing machine. No permanent stains!

This color is STUCK IN. It wasn't the exact shade I wanted and it didn't look much like the box (surprise surprise), so I knocked off one lippie for that, but it is absolutely stellar in terms of permanence. I wash my hair 2-3x a week, sometimes sulfate-free, sometimes not, and this has held up wonderfully. It's faded, but is still noticeably red- a feat, for a drugstore box dye! Give it a whirl if you have brand commitment issues like me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2014 12:50:00 AM More reviews by jplakhot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been dying my hair with henna, but my last few attempts gave me black on non-virgin hair and a golden brown at the roots (virgin hair). To fix the oops, I dyed the whole head with darkest brown colour 3.0. Although the bottle applicator was horrible and you needed to shake it with two hands otherwise it slipped out, the colour went on nicely and the dye job looked pretty even. Except that my hair was pretty close to black (not really brown like the box) and lightened very slightly over the next 6 weeks. The roots were getting horrible (I am a medium ash brown naturally), so I decided to lighten up the colour with the medium brown 5.0. BIG MISTAKE!!! The dark hair got even more black yikes!!!, not even a hint of brown, and the roots went lighter than what they were before, definitively no medium brown. I now have no idea how to lighten my hair without frying it, or having to keep dying it black all over so my roots match. SOS.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2014 2:42:00 PM More reviews by juliettexx19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Colour came out blotchy, even though I made sure my hair was well covered, and the colour did not hold at all, washed out after 2-3 washes, which for my hair is crazy - my hair normally stubbornly holds onto colour, and I was trying to go from a medium/light brown to dark brown; I ended up with a ring of gold brown hair in the middle, yet the roots and ends went dark. But that's ok, because it washed out so soon anyways! Don't waste your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Teepalombo

Beautiful packaging , however the applicator bottle is not practical at all , this dye did not smell chemically at all but it doesn't deposit color well . At least not on my colour treated hair , I didn't find my hair shinier after coloring , I found it tangled and very dry . Tried this product twice in golden brown or dark golden brown I forgot but both times it didn't deposit much colour and faded quickly . Would not repurchase .

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Immissvixen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I loved it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/16/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by gigigirl000

Suckers! who bought this crap? Garnier uses WIGS on their models in their Tv commercials......Do not put this junk on your hair unless u want bad hair for a year or a crew cut!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by LILLY7979

I have previously dyed blond hair. I hadn't had a touch up for over 3 months so i had a lot of regrowth. my natural hair color is very light brown. I used the lightest blond color. I found the coverage to be great, my hair feels the same as it did before i dyed it, my only problem was it didn't lift my roots enough. I left it on for 15 min longer than specified but still have slightly orange roots. I am hoping another application will help.
I loved the fact it didn't smell bad at all, the applicator bottle is the stupidest thing ever. you cant get a good grip on it at all.