April 24, 2014 | 1371 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Olia

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by thehumanhammy

I dyed my gold blonde hair the dark brown color (which turned black) in December and the color is still dark, maybe one shade lighter than when i first dyed it! But that being said it won't come out! It's April now and i wanted lighter color for summer but after so much it will not get out! I put a color remover, bleach bath, and bleached it but it barely lifted! If you plan on having it for more than a year then go for it but if you like to change it a lot then I wouldn't recommend it.
As far as packaging the tear shaped bottle (although cute) is impractical.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2014 4:10:00 PM More reviews by Prettylilfawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I Wrote a full review on olia 4.0 on my bloghttp://frugalnorthernbride.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/abandoning-the-blonde-ambition-back-to-basic-brown-with-olia-4-0/
I started off with really damaged hair and low funds, so I couldn't afford a trip to the salon. I bought olia in 4.0 which was a shade darker than I wanted because I knew it would fade. For a product that boasts such awesome nourishment and leaves your hair healthy, my hair felt like straw even more than it did prior to dying. However fast forward a few days of intense hair conditioning and relaxing, my hair felt super healthy and the color turned out great!
The product does run more expensive than other box dyes, at drug stores they cost around $15 canadian, but at Walmart you can find it for $11 (compared to the average $9 for other box dyes) I also almost ran out of product while dying my shoulder length hair, it soaks up onto the hair fast so I had to rub and massage my hair to try and evenly spread the mixture before I was left with brassy patches of my bleach job gone wrong.

More details though and photos on the blog. My color now after 2 months has faded from a dark brown to a golden brown.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Binney

In my first review I said I loved the product and was going to try the red today. Well I did, and it came out awful. I guess this brand specializes in darker shades.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 3:04:00 AM More reviews by Juliazelda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Before using this product, my hair was in a pretty special state. I had just got over a stage of wanting to dye my hair crazy colors, and after 5 times of bleaching and 4 times of different colors, I felt sick of the half-grey, half-purple mess that my hair now was. The state of my hair would be considered fairly decent, as damaged hair goes, but definitely a bit rough.

I decided to try out Garnier Olia after browsing around the hair colors section in the local mall and getting the tips from the store clerk to try it out after stating that I dislike the strong smell of ammonia and needed something less damaging for my hair. Also, I looked for something that said "covers grey hair" because the purple color I wore previously had turned grey on most of my hair and I wanted that out. Olia, on the packaging, seemed the perfect product for my requirements.

I went for the color 7.0 Dark Blonde, which was a bit of a risk-taking for me considering that my bangs were still a bright purple, and I was unsure whether or not a 7.0 would really do the job or if I would end up with disastrous-looking bangs. Nevertheless, I took the risk because the package clearly told me "if you can't decide between two colors, choose the lightest one". And I definitely didn't wanna be darker than a 6. I used two boxes for my shoulder-length, extremely thick, very dry hair.

To sum up - my biggest requirements for this hair dye were:
- Total coverage of previous haircolor
- EVEN coverage (that was the dream on my very uneven hair anyway)
- Nice color
- Pleasant smell
- Easy to use

And this color did EVERYTHING that I asked for. It was great. For more detail, read on.

Starting with Easy to use, reading the other reviews I saw a lot of complaints with the packaging, problems that I honestly didn't have at all. The gloves were very roomy and a bit more slippery than usual, and I accidentally dropped the color tube into the applicator bottle, but that's about it (and amounts more to my clumsiness to be honest). I've seen so many complaints about the shape of the applicator bottle but I didn't have any issues with the shape. However, my usual technique is "use one hand to squirt dye into the other hand, use hand to apply", which might have made it easier for me.

Honestly, this dye was texture-wise so much easier to apply on my hair than other dyes, and my hair usually makes a mess of every dye. Washing it out was easy too, although I forgot about using the conditioner that came with the dye. Getting all of it out was indeed a bit troublesome but I ended up using some of my own conditioner (Tresemme something or other) to dissolve it all, using it like shampoo, and that worked really well.

The smell was really non-smelly. Flowery and nice. It was there, but it wasn't fumey in any sense. Not much more to say about that.

After the treatment was finished I found myself conditioning thrice as much as I'd normally do, and applying massive amounts of oil treatment into the newly-dyed hair. It did feel very, VERY dry until I did that (it was very VERY dry otherwise anyway but did the haircolor in itself help with that? Not really) but other haircolors I've used have had the same effect on my hair as well, so this wasn't any worse than average.

And now the most exciting part for me - How did it cover?
IT COVERED EVERYTHING! And I was so happy. It even turned my hair the SAME color all over the place. The saturated purple parts ended up the exact same color as the light gray parts of my hair - and that was honestly all I could ask from this dye. Also, the color in itself is beautiful, a really nice neutral-toned dark blonde with great shine, true to the color on the box. I had heard that this dye comes out darker than expected for most, and so I expected a more brownish color. I was really happy with the result and the fact I can still call myself blonde.

About fading, I've only washed my hair twice from coloring it, but I haven't noticed any fading or bleeding so far.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with this product. It did all I could expect from a hair dye, it performed great in terms of cover-up, worked well even on an unnatural, uneven hair color, did not feel more damaging than most dyes, on the contrary it felt like one of the better options out there for damaged hair. Smelled good and was easy to use. Looking back on my checklist for a dye, this one did everything I asked for. And the resulting color was beautiful.

I would recommend this product to anyone who needs to cover up a bad hair-job and has damaged hair. I would probably recommend it to anyone, period. Although I would recommend usage of conditioner for washing it out. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by jomb87

Alright. Well to start I read most of the reviews and it seemed some people loved it and some people hated it. I really wanted to love it so decided to give it a try. My natural hair colour is light brown which I had at the roots. The rest of my hair was previously dyed red and had now faded to a light coppery colour (about a level 6). Admittedly it was still a pretty colour but I was just not in a copper phase so... enter Olia! I wanted to die my hair back to a light brown, hence I bought "Light brown #6". This ought to have been about the same level as my current hair colour (maybe slightly lighter) and I was hoping it would lift it just a tad. Hair colour smell doesn't really bother me so I can't say I particularly noticed this one (maybe more of an absence of smell than anything). The packaging looks nice, black gloves... all said before. They fit fine and I have normal caucasian sized hands. Right! So I mix my colour in a bowel and use a brush (don't like the applicators so can't comment on this one except to say it looked unique). First thing I thought... wow that's a lot of colour product! I should mention most of the reviews said if your hair is not short one box isn't enough so I went out and bought a second one just in case. It had a runny mayonnaise texture to it which I found meant the product didn't go as far as liquid or mousse ones I've used before. My hair is just below my shoulders, average thickness. I literally JUST didn't have enough. Ummed and ahhed and decided whatever I'll just open the second box to finish it off and ensure everything was saturated properly. Kept an eye on my colour (although I always find it hard to tell when it has the colorant on it). Ended up washing it off after 25 mins (did the whole massage thing). Yes it was a bit matted feeling when I rinsed it but it really didn't take that much longer than other hair colours. My hair didn't feel very nice so I used a big dollop of the conditioner, left it on for 15mins and then rinsed (btw I had also done a coconut oil treatment for 2hrs prior to colouring). Verdict? I am NOT happy with the colour. The coppery tones still show through (I did half expect that might happen), HOWEVER... the colour is decidedly DARK brown. Not at all what I was going for. It feels nice and soft now but I've used my normal Pantene Keratin Repair cream and I honestly don't think it looks or feels any healthier than other colours I've used (e.g. L'Oreal, Natural Instincts). So I wanted a nice light brown and I've ended up with a coppery dark brown. Would I buy it again? Hmm... MAYBE but I would buy a few shades lighter than I want to be which seems a bit silly because I'd still have no idea what colour I'd end up so... no. I probably would not buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

The only reason I bought this is because it was one of the few permanent hair colors without ammonia.
I hate the obnoxiously bulbous packaging.
And this should REAAAALLLY be considered a semi-permanent. In NO WAY is this a permanent haircolor... I use the darkest black color because I like my hair to be a very dark brown, and in a few shampoos I get my wish. And I don't even use harsh or sulfate shampoos!
2 stars because the damage to my hair was negligible.
I am going to try Revlon's new Luxurious Colorsilk- it is a new ammonia free nourishing permanent haircolor. I'll let ya know how that goes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:48:00 AM More reviews by TIFFANYBEAN1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this hair color. Color lasts a long time. Red color usually fades over time but not w Olia. Didn't have to color again until I decided to do roots. I have been regularly using it since it was created and will continue to use it in future.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 3:21:00 AM More reviews by Dilkusha

I have used Loreal Preference in the past so I got this to try as I liked the idea that this has no ammonia. I didnt like the shape of the bottle. It was hard to hold and difficult to squeeze the stuff out. I completely covered all of my hair and left it on for 30 mins as per instructions but it did not cover the grey hairs well, it didnt colour well around my hair line and it is also blotchy. The hair on the top of my head is much lighter than the ends which is odd. It looks weird. The consistency reminded me of wet putty or Aquadhere glue and it was difficult to apply, and difficult to massage in. I will not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:53:00 PM More reviews by steff612

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have read the reviews and I would just like to point out that if you buy this and have hair longer than super short buy two boxes. It for some reason not seem to ever go far enough for complete coverage. I have used the darkest brown and absolutely love it. It may not be the best out there but the color is great and my hair is so shiny afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by MakeupJayne12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Like the others, I decided to ignore all the negative comments about this product because I really wanted to try it and my sister said she loved it
I have (now had) short dark/medium brown hair and I bought the Olia colour Darkest Brown 3.0 and I LOVE IT
-Colour - came out a lot darker than I thought it would... it's pretty much black but I am okay with that
-Price - At local stores it was 12.99 which is not at all affordable for many, but I had a free coupon so I went for it!
-Product/Application - I felt that it was a VERY easy application process, I am a mess when I dye my hair but this was sooo easy to use - It was a thicker consistency than many other brands, but it was easy to blend into my hair - Like usual, I put a bag over my head to heat keep the heat in while I was waiting for the product to sit, but it got REALLY hot on my head - Product washed out SO EASILY! like other people said it was like washing mud out of your hair
-Conditioner - standard tube that most brands give out - Garnier dye conditioners usually come in a small package, but this one was an actual tube!

Overall - GREAT PRODUCT - it smells AMAZING! - so SHINNY! - so SOFT!
-According to the reviews this is a hit or miss product
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!