July 23, 2014 | 2003 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Olia

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by changela

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used the Garnier Olia dye 6.0. My natural hair colour is medium brown with about 35% grey, but I'd bleached it to a lightish blonde. My roots were coming in and I didn't think the blonde looked good on me, so my goal was to go back to something darker. I figured that my damaged hair would soak up the dye, so I went with the lighter shade. At first, I liked how it came out -- it was more a dark blonde, but my roots matched the rest, which was an improvement. However it seemed like it had a sort of green tinge? But that might have been from putting it on such light hair.

So I was happy. Then I showered the next day. My hair was...lighter. A bit lighter. Each time I wash my hair, it lightens where my hair was dyed. The natural hair seems to be holding ok, but then again, that hair was dark to begin with, and I think I can see some greys coming through. I still like it because it's an improvement, but I don't like how it's washing out. I did it about three weeks ago, and my hair is about a medium blonde. I won't be using this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2014 11:37:00 PM More reviews by flygirl1

There seem to be many negative reviews, and I'm a bit mystified. This product has worked excellently for me. It may be down to a combination of things: hair type, degree of grey, your water quality, etc. My hair picked up the soft black 2.0 color brilliantly and I have soft and shiny hair as a result of using Olia.
I have no issues with using the basics like gloves or the simple instructions or the bottle or rinsing. I ensure that I thoroughly shake the mixture at the beginning to allow the chemical reaction to start between the colorant solutions before even thinking of putting it on my hair. Then I part my hair every 1/4 inch and squeeze color into my brush and cover roots, and then later saturate, all as per instructions, and ensure after the waiting period, and prior to rinsing, to emulsify with a small amount of water to enable rinsing (also per instructions). Results are my hair is well colored, soft, and color lasts and is as complete as when I get my color done at the salon.
In terms of hair softness and color lasting, getting a small gadget to filter the water coming out of your shower is the best thing I did for my hair and skin. Shower filters get rid of chlorine and other chemicals in tap water that strip hair and skin. Skin is softer and your hair color lasts a lot longer since your hair is not being stripped. Also your skin is softer and soap, shampoo, conditioner and excess colorant rinse off thoroughly. It is such a difference, so in general I recommend a shower filter in your arsenal of beauty items for hair and skin. All I can say is Olia delivers very well for me. I wish it did for everyone because for me it is an excellent product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Carolhartman1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this product because of the oil content as I have, at my age, dry hair. I liked none of it from the packaging to the color. it was hard to get the product into the applicator, The round shape of the applicator kept slipping in my hand and once dropped to the floor. The black gloves stuck to my hands and were hard to remove, I had to use a pair of pliers to lossen the cap on the cream rinse and tmy hair color is now darker then the medium blond I normally have, When I went to give them feedback on-line there was no response. Need I say more? THIS BRAND IS OFF MY SHOPPING LIST!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Mishcakat

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently used Garnier Olia's "dark intense auburn" on my black hair. It added red tints to the black but didn't take it to the color I was hoping for and did do some damage. My hair has been breaking off because of this which is strange since it said "60% oil".

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by kyleeangelika

A few months ago, my aunt bleached the bottom of my hair so that it could create the ombré effect. It was a huge mistake because she was drunk and she had never done ombré before so it turned out horrible. So talking from present time, I dyed my hair back in Easter so that was in April and it's been four months since I coloured my hair (this is just a back story of my hair).

I wanted to even out the colour of my hair and give the ombré a more subtle feel to it and I didn't want a line of demarcation of where the ombré actually started in my hair. I was doing my research when I found this new hair dye the 'Olia' and I decided to give it a go. I bought the 5.3 'Golden Brown' which in Australia retails for 16.95. So I got home and prepped my hair (third day hair because it helps with the colour) and prepared everything the way it says to do. I thought the packaging was great actually and the steps were straight forward and easy to understand and the dye smelt great! Then my sister was the one who coloured all of my hair and it was practically drenched in colour afterwards. Because the top of my hair was virgin hair and the bottom wasn't, I left it in for an extra 15 minutes and then I had a shower. While I was showering, the dye came out in like 2 minutes and the water was running clean again which I thought was lovely. The conditioner it came with also smelt astonishingly pleasant which I thought was great too. When I came out of the shower, I noticed the top of my hair was still jet black (my hair level is around 1-2) and I just thought that maybe the dark brown would show later because my hair was soaking wet. I let my hair air dry for a while until it was 50% wet and I started styling my hair. My hair was still a level 2. It did not lift even 1 level which made me quite annoyed but the state and texture of my hair was great and lovely and soft. The ombré line also was a bit blurred but not entirely that there was no demarcation line. But I think the colour pay off was due to my mistake because I should've gotten a lighter colour. Would I buy this product again? Yes! Maybe if I had gotten a lighter colour it would've worked but I honestly think this is a great product besides the fact that it didn't colour my hair because it is quite stubborn and black/very dark brown.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/30/2014 8:35:00 AM More reviews by jcarols

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have reddish auburn hair and my grey roots needed a touch-up. I bought Olia hair color (dark garnet red 4.62), and applied it according to the instructions. When I rinsed out my hair colour, followed by the conditioning treatment, I looked in the mirror and (EEK!) my hair was blue-black!!!!! I immediately checked the Olia box to ensure I hadn't bought the wrong color........ No - it said dark garnet red 4.62! WTF???

Horribly embarrassing too, as I had to attend a party within three hours, and didn't know what the heck I was to do with my new goth look..... Not sure how to get rid of this, and go back to my auburn....

I'll never trust a Garnier product again........

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2014 8:55:00 AM More reviews by Carly57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this product because my hair is dry...not only did it leave my hair oily, I could barely brush it! Hard to put on...hard to navigate~ I usually use Garnier Hair Color so I thought this would be good because it's also made by Garnier. I think they need to revamp their entire line of Olia, from packaging (really...black gloves?) to the product itself. I will NEVER use this again!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2014 10:43:00 PM More reviews by Tovert01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Terrible!!! Don't buy!!!! I have medium blonde hair and wanted to go a shade lighter. Bought the 9.3 shade and my hair came out darker!!!! I read on these reviews that if I use my normal dye Loreal to fix it which is ammonia based that it will cause my hair to turn to mush. I'm so upset!! Worst product ever. In fact initially when I was dying my hair the dye was a creamy blondish color then turned to some weird gray goop as I was squeezing onto my hair. Please!!! Someone please tell me how to correct!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2014 1:01:00 PM More reviews by liliiris

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Olia 4 times.
I was very pleased with the colour because it was a nice brown, instead of turning red on my hair like other hair colour I had used before. I have been trying to find the right shade of brown for a long time. I gave Olia a try because it was without ammonia and it was good for the first two boxes, colour was nice and my hair felt soft and had a nice shine.
After my third application I started losing more hair than usual, I tought it was maybe change of season or I was due for a haircut. After fourth application I realized that Olia was the problem for sure , unusual loss of hair again + itchy scalp.
I did a little internet reasearch and found that there were many women who had used Olia with the same problem.
I will never, ever go near any Garnier product again.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2014 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Jennyv2122

Please take this item off the market! So today I decided to buy this product because it looked so amazing for your hair and the color looked beautiful on the package. I decided to go with medium blonde 8.0 because I have naturally light brown hair and wanted to go a couple shades up. Keep in mind I wasn't going from a dark brown to light blonde... My hair is a very light brown almost blonde color. Anyway, I was so excited to use this product and bought 2 boxes because I have thick hair. I went home and read the directions thoroughly and did as it said. While blow drying my hair, I realized the color looked so little blonde and I started seeing a bright ORANGE appear. The color is all over my roots and two inches into my hair. In addition, the rest of my hair is the same exact color as before just damaged and fried looking. So what did I get? Fried, orange, and original hair... Now I have to go to Sally's and get a color corrector or go to a salon. Please save yourself your money and don't get this! I looked at the bad reviews before but thought maybe it would work on me or maybe people did something wrong. It was a horrible decision so just save the hassle and go to a salon if you can afford it. If not, I recommend loreal products they won't damage.

Pros: beautiful packaging and good smelling dye.

Cons: orange hair, damaged hair, and no color change whatsoever.