Hakuhodo K002 Powder Brush

on 9/15/2015 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This brush is amazingly soft, so soft you can't even feel it on your skin. One thing to note is that this is NOT a powder brush. It's a finishing brush. If you use it to set your foundation the hairs will stick together from the moisture and affect the performance of the brush. You can only use this when your foundation is already set, so say for your meteorites or to blend everything together. This brush and its sibling the k020 do shed but it's nothing serious, 2-3 hairs a week if that.
It is of course extremely well made and high quality, but the hair is incredibly fragile especially when wet.

on 9/7/2015 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Before you decide to invest in this brush, there are a few things to keep in mind. Squirrel hair is so, so soft and much finer compared to goat. This brush has the softest hair I've felt in my life in terms of makeup. I would describe it as being very lustrous, silky and even slinky. It shimmers so beautifully under the light. It's also not densely packed and it is on the floppier side. It has a pinched ferrule so the brush is paddle-shaped. However, the nature of the brush makes it more suitable for light powder applications and/or most preferably a loose powder. The brush doesn't pick up much product and since the brush is on the floppy side, you shouldn't expect to deposit much powder on your face. However, if you have textured skin this brush applies powder beautifully without disturbing your foundation. I set my foundation with Guerlain Meteorites, so it's not ideal for me but I just it anyway because it is so beautifully soft.

A major problem I have with this brush though is that it sheds. I had thought that Hakuhodo would end all my brush woes and the shedding hair life was over, but I was wrong. It doesn't shed too much now since I've had it for a little less than a year. This is just a heads up in case you had the same line of thinking.

on 3/7/2014 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This brish is sooooooo soft. Even if u don't use makeup you should own this brush just to run it across your face. Feels gooooood! This is my first all blue squirrel hair brush and the softest of all my brushes. It's not huge but big enough for a face powder. It picks up little product and gives a gorgeous natural finish. It's definitely on the expensive side at $82 but so worth it. A definite splurge!

Edit 4/1/14: i still love the softness of this brush but i guess the delicate nature of the hairs explains it. This is one of those brushes u have to baby because it won't withstand any kind of abuse. Mine sheds a lot so my repurchasing is a mabe at this point

on 2/10/2014 3:20:00 AM

This brush is a fantastic powder/finishing brush, especially for loose powder. The Hakuhodo K002 is made of uncut blue squirrel hair which makes it incredibly soft. The size of the brush head is nice and large enough to cover your face in a few swipes, and the density is perfect. This brush is more on the flexible, and not dense, side. Being made of squirrel hair, it does not pick up a great amount of product, which is ideal for powder because you don't want to over do it. This brush makes that impossible. The only downside is the price- it's $82. I do not regret this purchase as I see this brush is definitely worth the investment.
Because this brush is so expensive, taking care of it is very important. Do not use harsh ingredients to wash this brush or the delicate squirrel hair will be destroyed. I use the Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo. It's 100% biodegradable, sulfate/phosphate/dye free. In addition to, this keeps my brushes much, much softer and cleaner than any washing method I've ever tried. I use luke warm water and wash every other week. Also, I hang the brush upside down to dry so no water gets into the ferule.
I also uploaded 2 images. Hope this helps!

on 1/6/2013 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This brush is DANGEROUS!! It makes me wanna keep putting powder on my face because it feels so good haha. This is the softest brush I own, and I have a ton of brushes. It's a large paddle shaped brush and the hairs are super fine. It's great for finely milled loose powder. You can sweep loose powder all over your face without disrupting your makeup underneath. I use it with my Laura Mercier and MUFE HD loose powders and it picks up just the right amount. I'm super oily so a puff still works best at setting my foundation but its nice to have this brush when I'm in a hurry The only thing with this brush is that you can't have oils on your face or it'll make the hairs stick together. You have to blot first if you're going to use this brush for touch ups. It retains it's shape really well, hardly sheds, and did not bleed at all. I can't imagine a softer brush than this one. One of my favorites <3