Chanel Rouge Allure 98, Coromandel

4.8

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I'm not crazy about the new formulation, which has this gimmicky little button to pop up the lipstick. Chanel used to make a different formula of Red Coromandel that I've been wearing for EVER. It is my favorite lipstick, period. I love Chanel lipstick in general, and this color is my go-to for everything. I don't like that the other formula had this wonderful rose scent which this one does not, and this is lighter in texture too. The color seems to be the same though: a true bright red with a slightly coral undertone that makes it complicated and classic at the same time.

I can wear it retro vixen by just going thick or I can make it look very innocent by first moistening my lips with chapstick, lining them with a nude pencil, and then barely dabbing this onto my lipsticks. I often blot it and then use the tissue to blush my cheeks as well.

Everyone will compliment the color. My skin color is very fair and pale but also, very yellow-toned, which is an odd combination (my eyes are grey-blue). I don't really burn easily even though I'm practically paper white. So this color brings out my eyes and also doesn't look weird on my skin tone, which most reds do since they tend to wind up looking more magenta, which is a horrible color on me. I live and die by Chanel's Coromandel (although I wish they'd revert back to their old formula and drop this rouge allure thing; never mind, the scariest moment ever was when they stopped producing it altogether for a while, and I wound up eschewing red lipstick entirely, which is so not my style).

A modern classic.

on 1/4/2014 3:45:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I've been looking for this kind of red for years! It's perfect for me (black hair, light complexion with yellow undertones and brown eyes). Warm red that makes you look just wow. But keep it light - when I put two layers, it loses it's originality and outstanding beauty, it becomes just another red lipstick. But with one thin layer, and a bit smudged with finger - it's perfection. Thank you Chanel for this little miracle.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

The color is stunning and looks good on a variety of skin tones. I like it on myself (tan skin with warm undertones, black hair, and brown eyes). I also loaned it to a friend with light skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes, and it looked nice on her as well. It's an orange-red that definitely pulls warm, so I don't think it would work as well for those with cool undertones. I'm not crazy about the staying power - I don't really like using lip liner because it dries my lips out and looks harsh on me, and for the price point of this lipstick, I think it should have stayed put a lot better than it actually did even without lip liner. I had to reapply frequently throughout the night. Also, the packaging is a little strange - instead of just taking the cap off and twisting the lipstick up, you have to push up on the bottom of the tube to release the lipstick and then take the cap off. Not ideal, but not much of a problem once you figure out how it works.

on 1/16/2013 10:58:00 AM

I don't know why there aren't more reviews for this fantastic lipstick! I am pale-skinned, an ashy blonde and have medium-pigmented lips. I wanted a warm-toned red lipstick, since I usually wear warm-tones and wanted a coral-leaning lipcolor. This one is perfect! It is a rich red with warm undertones, not garish or orange. It goes on smoothly and the packaging is beautiful. It stays on me for about four hours, even with eating and drinking (although it does lighten during eating, so I tend to reapply afterwards). When I want less of a statement color, I blot it and sheer it out with a bit of Burts Bees, and it turns into an amazing rose lipcolor. I wear it with MAC's Lychee Luxe Lipglass and they are perfect together!

on 1/5/2013 9:02:00 AM

Excellent formula: lightweight yet hydrating and satisfyingly longwearing.
Coromandel is a stunning, statement shade that has the appearance of a true red but with a tad more warmth. On that basis, perhaps best reserved for yellow-based, fair complexions (?).
Anyway, highly recommended.