August 1, 2014 | 1746 users online

Palettes - Bobbi Brown - Uber Nude Lip & Eye Palette

rated 2.0(1 review)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2013 6:16:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

At $30, this palette sold out very quickly this holiday season - it took me a while to find it and I happy to finally get my hands on one, since I am a big fan of Bobbi Brown cosmetics and find her neutral shades to be the best on the market after Burberry's. While definitely thicker than an iPhone, this little palette is a mere half inch or so smaller than an iPhone screen. In that little space you will find the following:
To the left:
-Uber Beige pan lipstick in pan form (.025 oz/7g)
-Blushed Heather lip gloss in pan form (.025 oz/7g)
In the middle:
-Mini Nude glitter lip gloss with doe foot applicator (1.3 fl oz/4ml)
To the right:
-Navajo eye shadow (a very slightly pink, matte ivory shadow; .025 oz/7g)
-Downtown eye shadow (a medium matte brown shadow with a touch of warmth; .025 oz/7g)
-Espresso eye shadow (just as it sounds; a standard matte, neutral dark brown; .025 oz/7g)

I love the size of this palette, generally think the color selection is excellent (more on this below), and really appreciate the physical separation between the pan lip products and the shadows that the mini lip gloss tube provides. Having tried all of the shades in the palette, I would have to say that the lip colors outperform the eye shadows in terms of color and sheer quality. (Although I really don't understand why Bobbi Brown put two glitter lip glosses of such similar shades in the same palette - I would have definitely preferred a darker nude lipstick (say, Uber Nude or Uber Suede) instead of the blushed heather glitter gloss - it just seems redundant). The Uber Beige lipstick is classic Bobbi Brown: matte, subtle, and flattering. I have olive (NC 35/40+) skin and found it a bit too sheer for my pigmented lips, but once I added some darker Chanel Nude lip liner on top and a spot of the nude glitter gloss I was very pleased with the results. Fairer women will probably have to play with this lipstick less, I imagine. I should also add that the "glitter" in the glosses, while visible, is very sophisticated - you will find no chunky, multi-colored flakes here. It's just a slight step up from a nice shimmer.

As for the eye shadows, they are generally mediocre, particularly Espresso. In fact, I would not recommend attempting to use Espresso as a shadow - it seems much better suited for use as a liner (and really should have been labeled as such). Blending it into the crease is nearly impossible, and required far more tugging and acrobatics than a Bobbi Brown shadow should. Unlike Espresso, Navajo and Downtown are not part of the regular Bobbi Brown eye shadow offerings, and they were definitely better than Espresso in terms of blending. For reference, I used Downtown on the lid, Navajo as a highlighter, and Espresso (ouch - seriously) in the crease. While the end result was pretty satisfactory, it was simply too much work. In the end, I would have to say that while I will get some use out of this palette, I would not repurchase it. So for those of you who didn't managed to snag one of these little beauties, don't worry - you didn't miss much at all.