NYC Lip stain

3.4

on 8/24/2015 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I purchased the colours "on everyone's lips" which is a mauve-ish colour and "unforgettable fuchsia" which is a bright hot pink.

The mauve one applies very patchy and watery so i had to apply it 3 times to get the desired colour pay off and the hot pink one applied true to colour on the first application.

For some reason, they both burn my lips and the after about 30 mins of wear, the color starts to fade and it looks really ugly, especially because all of the fine lines on your lips start to show.

Purchased these for $4 each at Walmart but wish i had spent the 8$ plus tax on my regular go-to lipstick as i wont be using these stains again.

If anyone is looking for similar colours but much better payoff, the nyx liquid matte lipsticks are amazing. id suggest trying those.

on 7/6/2014 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Something to consider... you get what you pay for. This claims to last 16 hours. But with normal eating/drinking, this lasts 1-3 hours max. It's very inexpensive, so you can just toss it in your bag and reapply as often as you like. Also, because it's so cheap, I purchased 4 shades. I loved 3 and gave 1 to a friend. NYC is not as drying as some other lip stains I've tried, which made my lips SO dry and wrinkled that I had to use chapstick to plump them back up (*ahem* CoverGirl lip stain!). Overall, for the price, this deserves 5 stars.

on 5/21/2014 12:39:00 AM

I'm trying to like this... I really love the idea of a lip color that will last, but this does not. I got this in Endless Spice, which is a great shade. The scent is fruity, doesn't taste funny, and is fairly easy to apply. It wears off before lunch, will not repurchase.

on 1/12/2014 3:39:00 PM

I find that lip tints don't have any staying power. NYC smooch proof lip stain 16 hr in champagne stain lasts until you have a drink or lick your lips and it comes off! Great colour and the pen didn't dry up like max factors did.

on 12/31/2013 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It makes my lips look shiny and pink. It isn't drying and patchy like some lip stains and it reminds me of revlon lip butters when you put it on. I also noticed that it has an amazing fruity fragrance and I love it.

on 11/15/2013 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For the price I can't complain. The color was good and it wasn't very drying for a stain, but it definitely didn't last very long.....

on 8/21/2013 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had such high hopes for this product that I bought it in two different colors.
Wish I had my money back.
I would have gotten better results staining my lips with Kool-aid.
It has little color pay-off, doesn't apply evenly and wears off very quickly.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love these lip stains! I have tried Benefit's Benetint, TheBalm's Stainiac, Revlon's Just Bitten and Covergirl's stains, all of which failed me for various reasons. This stain marker-pen does not settle into fine lines, offers smooth, even application, plenty of buildable color payoff, and stays on for 5-6 hours, which is plenty of time for me (who expects 15 hours, even if that's what it says? Cosmetics companies are notorious for exaggerating).

I have this stain in 3 shades -

1. Never Ending Nude (492): this is the perfect MLBB color for me. I LOVE it and it's fantastic with a little clear gloss or balm over it. It looks light brown on the swatch NYC provides, but is more of a rosy brown on my lips. Fades to a natural, more pink than brown color.

2. Rock on Ruby (497): this is actually a pretty great blue-based type of red, IMO. I was surprised by how well this looked on me, as I have a hard time with reds: most come off looking hot pink or orange, but this was just the right shade of true brightish crimson-esque red. Fades to a nice pinkish reddish color.

3. Berry Long Time (498): this is my least favorite of the three. While I still love the formula, this color pulls very purple on my lips and fades to hot pink, and it isn't flattering with my skin tone.

LOVE THIS!

Pros: Good price, lasting colour, doesn't dry out, great pigmentation, great staying power (maybe not 16 hours, more like 6 which is still good for a lip product).

Cons: has parabens

I purchased 2 of them and they have lasted for over a year! Would definitely buy again.

on 6/25/2013 7:01:00 AM

I think it lasts quite ok - i only had 4 hours before I had to take it off. Although the color doesn't stay the same - it got much fainter. Love the taste and it applied nicely.

Recommended for Medium Skin