October 30, 2014 | 1734 users online

Loose Powders - Cocoa Powder + Cornstarch as Face Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Grapeyhan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have the oiliest skin you could every imagine. I even got a prescribed topical cream and pill to control the oil and acne outbreaks. None of it works, for the oiliness that it. But a light dusting of cornstarch does the trick, keeps me matte for almost the whole day. At the moment my car doesn't have air conditioning, so I'm lucky it's cool enough in the morning so I'm not sweating half my makeup off before classes. If you need a quick oily skin fix on a budget, buy this. One problem is that it can look cakey, but to fix that(sounds crazy!), but add a mattifying powder over the top, light coating.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Common cornstarch is a great oil-absorber - but you must be careful if you have enlarged pores as it can settle into them and clog you worse than before you started. Also good as a powder for body.

Inexpensive and easy to add to other ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2014 8:24:00 AM More reviews by dealfinder648

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've read people using cocoa and cornstarch for loose powder online and was wondering if it would deepen my mineral powder foundation for summer so I wouldn't need to buy a shade or two deeper. It worked very well. After doing a test batch on a small amount and knew it would work, I added cocoa, little by little and ground up well, to my existing mineral foundation and got a perfect match. I'm amazed how well it worked. When skin gets lighter over winter, I'll use for contouring.
People are using ground nutmeg and other ground spices for bronzer and blushes, etc...that I might experiment with later. But for now, this worked well and saved me money. Most finishing powders have corn starch as their leading ingredient anyway. The cocoa does make it a little more matte, just so you are aware. I go back and forth with minerals and bb cream, depends on my mood and activity for the day. Remember to use 100% cocoa powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 3:53:00 AM More reviews by persephone1985

This stuff is amazing. Not only keep my oilies at bay (when used as a setting powder) it also works just as great as dry shampoo. My hair is black but it doesn't leave any white residue. And I also use this on top of any lipstick when I feel like wearing matte lipstick and this doesn't dry out my lips. All in all, a perfect product (and is cheap as dirt) will repurchase over and over.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by lisa7788

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great stuff! I just starting using this mixed w/ a tiny bit of my mineral makeup & bronzer & it works great! No more oilies at the end of the day! Thanks everyone for recommending this!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Omykiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I'm going to try & keep this to-the-point.

1. I have combination skin. Cornstarch is the ONE & ONLY powder I've ever (lightly) applied to my face & had last throughout the day. Unintentionally, I suppose I use it as a setting powder. I use moisturizer, BB cream, concealer if desired, and then dust with cornstarch once my makeup has 'absorbed' a bit. I once received a compliment that I had the skin of a porcelain doll - something I never imagined that I'd ever hear.
>>> I use as light a dusting as possible to achieve a matte finish. This does not affect the warm yellow undertones of my skin.
>>> I have not experienced any break outs, but I do not wear makeup frequently & almost always wash it off my face after. Feel guilty if I don't.

2. I have absurdly oily hair. After years of trial & error, I have determined that any mass produced shampoo from the store exacerbates the issue. Baking soda + apple cider vinegar worked for a few months but eventually made my scalp feel uncomfortable. Now, I use a basic tea tree oil soap bar from head to toe - which has given me my desired results. ANYWAYS..... throughout the last few years of trial & error, cornstarch was a best friend to my hair. Absorbed enough oil from my scalp to make me presentable in public for a day. Adds lovely texture too!

Cornstarch has absolutely earned its place amongst my makeup products.
>>> I keep mine in an empty Olay moisturizer jar.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my gosh....thanks to this site I used this to set my Fit me foundation (which transfers like crazy...) and there was so much less transfer! I can touch my face and then my notebook without worrying about brown stains all over the pages now!

I'm going to try it as dry shampoo as well as my hair gets super greasy :/

EDIT: this broke me out! And it didn't take long either...I read a review of someone say something about it not being good for oily skin, something to do with it reacting or cooking or something and maybe that's the reason? Who knows, I'm no Chem major :( either way Im not putting this stuff near my skin again

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 1:24:00 AM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

eventhought i am scoring this positively, for me this did not work. i am allergic to talc pure and simple....i was going the natural route and happen to have cornstarck in the cabinet. this stuff made my face react as if i was wearing talcum power. it made me: itch (really bad....which my my nose and sinus flare up) due to itching my skin went all pink. suffice to say i am allergic. i am not down grading this since there is a percentile of ppl who arent and if you are in this group, then lucky you! it sets well and it is super cheap. it you are allergic like me get rice flour or tapioca flour (aka arrowroot powder) i get mine at a korean store for $1.00 a pound! plus no side effect and you can use the rice flour to make a nice rice flour mask with witchhazel or mint tea!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Zariana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had noticed that corn starch (commonly referred to as corn flour in my part of the world) is an ingredient contained in many setting powders. I have oily skin for the most part, so powdering is an essential step in my make-up routine.

I decided to use some corn flour from the pantry as a setting powder after liquid foundation. I have used regular baby powder before, and was quite satisfied with the results.

It must be said that I am a woman of colour (NC37-40). I was initially apprehensive because I was expecting the corn flour to leave the dreaded white cast on my face. To my surprise, it didn't at all. I applied the corn flour sparingly using a large, fluffy powder brush. It imparted a sort of glow to my face, and somehow blurred my pores and minor imperfections.

What I really love about corn flour, however, is that even if I happen to apply too much, it doesn't leave my face looking cakey. With commercial setting powders (tinted and translucent), I could easily become over zealous with my application, and end up with an awfully dry-looking, cakey face - at the height of an African summer. As for its oil-absorbing properties, it gets an A+. I'm able to carry on with my daily tasks without worrying about my make-up melting off. I very rarely feel the need to touch up. Once my natural oils break through, I am left with a pretty, almost dewy finish instead of an oil spillage.

Just a caveat. This stuff can be terribly messy. It flies everywhere if you aren't careful. When I'm out, I prefer to carry a compact powder for obvious reasons. I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced translucent compact powder that absorbs oil on contact with the skin.

Most importantly, it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I'm very prone to clogging, so this is a winner for me. It's super inexpensive from my local Indian grocery store. I purchase the 1kg packet for 20 ZAR (approximately $2). This is sure to last me a good while.

If you are concerned that corn flour will give you a white cast, I'm sure one could add a bit of tinted face powder to the corn flour to match one's skin tone. Store it an empty loose powder container and powder away!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by iszeto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I think of cornstarch, I think of my Mom making gravy at Thanksgiving. That being said, I was intrigued by the reviews here, and went to Safeway and bought a $2 container to try as a powder.

And I'm SO glad I did! This is great over moisturizer. I use a very small amount and buff it all over with a kubuki brush. It leaves my complexion matte and even-toned. If I take a selfie, my face looks smooth.

The greatest thing I love about using cornstarch as a matte dusting powder is this: I dust some on before my spin class and gym workouts. I don't feel "made-up" yet I feel presentable. AND..... there's no tell-tale makeup streaks on my sweat towels as I wipe off my face during workouts! ( I am always embarrassed if I have makeup marks on my white towels...)

My husband stole my small Japanese plastic makeup containers to hold his hair gel during travel, so I've been temporarily transporting the cornstarch in a clean contact lens case. ( I have a billion of these; I get them free when I buy contact solution.)

April 4, 2014 update:
I read the other reviews about using cornstarch as a dry shampoo. I was hesistant to try it, since I have dark hair, but the results couldn't be any worse than when I tried baby powder as a dry shampoo (result: obvious white powder in my hair, making it look like I was greying at the roots). So I tried cornstarch, and yes, it's effective! On my second day after a wash, after massaging in some cornstarch at the roots, it absorbed the oilies and made my hair feel less damp. There was no mica mess like using baby powder, which never really absorbed the oil. I did not detect any bonus volume, but that's OK; the benefits of cleaner-feeling and cleaner-looking hair were cool with me. Again, the big plus was that I could transport the cornstarch in the small contact lens case, and not have to truck around an aerosol can of dry shampoo in my purse. (I have so much crap in my purse... the less, the better.)

April 20, 2014 update:
I discovered yet another great use for cornstarch. Does anyone else get red, irritated marks on their skin from bras that have those grippy silicone/latex bands? I thought I might be allergic to that silicone/latex. Anyway, I thought I would try dusting the area first with cornstarch, and then wear the bra. Sure enough, I did not have any red marks on my skin. I guess the cornstarch provides some kind of cushion or reduces friction? Cornstarch is proving to be a superior multi-tasker for every day issues!

Overall, a cool "single ingredient" find!!!

June 3, 2014 update:
After applying cornstarch as a face powder, I've come to learn that YES, it does clog my pores. In the future, I would use a dusting only occassionally and not on a daily basis.

As a dry shampoo, it still works great though. It gives my 2nd and 3rd day old hair between washes good "grip" for messy buns and topknots.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No