April 18, 2014 | 1503 users online

Loose Powders - Cocoa Powder mixed with Cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG face powder! I have very oily skin (even at 41+ *GASP*) and after spending all sorts of money on commercial face powders I have simply said "f-it" and used talc based baby powder as my setting powder for quite a while now. However, on a whim, I recently tried cornstarch baby powder and thought that it was indeed a bit more absorbant than the talc based one. So, I went all out and tried plain, food grade cornstarch (yes, the kind in the baking aisle of your grocery store- its like a dollar ten a box!) as a setting powder. For me, the absorbancy was amazing, but it was way too white.- and I am light toned. Pure cornstarch feels lighter but seems to give much more coverage than plain baby powder (baby powder actually goes on translucent if you use it lightly and buff it out enough). So, based on alot of posts I read, I started to mix plain, unsweetened cocoa powder (yes, like Hershey, but I bough generic) with the pure, food grade cornstarch until I obtained a more skin -like hue to my "powder". I love this stuff. It sets my makeup perfectly, looks natural and best of all, it holds my oil at bay nearly all day even in the heat. I was actually able to switch foundation thanks to cornstarch/cocoa powder. Colorstay used to be my HG foundation but since I started using this powder it almost seem to drying with the Colorstay (which, with my oily skin, too dry has never, ever, been in my vocabulary) I now use Wet-n-Wild Coverall in fair/light (which is like 4 bucks, at most, for 1 oz. compared to Colorstay which is at least 11 bucks for 1 oz. ) with my cornstarch/cocoa powder and have perfect, yet natural looking, darn- near -all- day- oil -free skin for DIRT CHEAP! HOORAY!

Plus, if you have dark hair you can use the cornstarch/cocoa powder as a dry shampoo. I have never used a dry shampoo as I shampoo/condition my hair ever single day but one day I had a deep conditioning disaster where I couldn't get all of my overnight oil treatment to rinse out of my hair ( I went way, way to heavy on the coconut oil that night. ) Since I didn't want to rewash my hair I sprinkled some of this generously on my roots and brushed through thoroughly. It really did work! My hair didn't look greasy but I wasn't crazy about how it felt. I prefer a fresh washed, uber-clean head of hair- I just don't do second day hair!-so I won't use this, but just in case you may need it it WILL WORK as a dry shampoo!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Tonantzin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is amazing as a bronzer!! I have medium olive acne-prone skin and straight unsweetened cocoa powder is perfect for contouring. Because you can't alter the color (I feel cornstarch might react with my oily skin) this is not for everyone. My skin has actually started to clear up (due to a no-chemical/natural regimen change). I store the cocoa powder in a mineral makeup sifter and apply it with a contouring brush. It stays put all day and smells amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 12:50:00 PM More reviews by daZblu

***Amendment***:
Applying this with a fluffy blush brush is an AWESOME idea. also mitigates some of the icky brown coating of cocoa on your fingertips.

COCOA POWDER DRY SHAMPOO

I've taken to using this as dry shampoo between washings in an effort to restore some life back into my over-treated hair.

Having been blessed with dark, pin-straight locks, greasiness becomes apparent (and, rather nasty) after only a couple of days. Short of donning a kerchief and looking like a crazy farmer's wife, there wasn't much I could do to disguise my unwashed locks. A google search yielded a few good recipes for dry shampoo involving many white powders: most of which made my hair look off and gray. But after a while, I stumbled across a fellow brunette extolling the virtues of cocoa powder.

On a whim, I dug a canister of unsweetened baking powder out of my cupboard and gave it a try - sprinkling it: as directed, close to, but not directly onto my scalp and shaking it through with my fingers. Most suggested working through your hair in layers: starting on the surface, and working down: I found this to be helpful as well.

Magic. In minutes, my lank, greasy locks had bounce and volume, and on top of it all, I smelled of delicious, delicious chocolate. And oddly enough: the powder even mitigated the heaviness of built-up sebum, making my hair feel light and sort-of clean again. All in all, it is now my go-to dry shampoo. Also: many up-dos became easier to execute on account of the added "oomph" of day-old, chocolate scented hair. To clarify: heat-styling *IS* possible with cocoa powder in your hair! Though I've taken to using no-heat velcro rollers to avoid any further damage.

The only downsides i've noticed, are:

1. When you run your fingers through your hair: hitting scalp will cause your nails to come away with some brown cocoa powder under them, which is, admittedly, a little gross.

2. When/if you brush the powder through your hair, there will be greasy cocoa powder left in your hairbrush/comb that may take some scrubbing to clean out. In short: boar-bristle brushes may not be the best tools when cocoa powder is present in your hair.

Words of warning:
1. Sprinkling the powder directly onto your scalp will make your it look weirdly brown/orange on account of the color of cocoa. So do be sure to sprinkle it at least 1/2" away from visible scalp before shaking it through the rest of your hair.

2. Be sure to use UNSWEETENED Cocoa powder: the last thing anyone wants is a sticky, syrupy mess in unwashed hair.

3. Try not to get it wet/rained on: as chocolate has a tendency to molecularly "seize up" when in contact with water. The end result of this is that your hair looks unwashed again. This can be remedied by a quick brushing, and some added cocoa powder.

4. I've found that this method is most effective for up to 3 days, depending on how greasy your hair gets. Being of Asian descent, I'd have to wash my hair daily in order to avoid looking greasy. Nowadays, I can go for up to 3 days (4 if i'm feeling really really lazy or gross) between washings if cocoa powder is readily available.

5. Omnivorous pet animals will find chocolate scented hair to be very appealing - just yesterday, I had a friend's rather large dog repeatedly lick and attempt to chew on my head in an attempt to try and get to the giant chocolate truffle he thought I was hiding in my brain. (For those of you concerned for the well being of aforementioned pooch: he's a large dope, and was fine).