Yves Saint Laurent Opium Vapeurs de Parfum

3.5

Opium Vapeurs (etc. etc.) purports to be another Opium flanker, but it isn't, really. Now I love the Opium flankers, in one case possibly more than the original (Poesie, I'm talking to you!). But in general, I love the idea of playing with an original, and the bottles are almost always gorgeous.

So in principal I don't object to the flankers. But Vapeurs is really so different I don't think it qualifies as a flanker. Basically, it is as if someone crossed two drops of Opium with an ounce of Messe de Minuit and then put in five drops of Chanel #5 Eau Premiere. There's a big hank of frankincense, a soft top shiver of sweet powder and citrus, and a couple of tiny streaks of Opium's florals and spice. There's a very subtle waft of the obligatory vanilla -- think the vanilla/citrus/powder loft of Eau Premiere, but this isn't gourmand, nor is it sweet.

And while MdM's frankincense is a bit much for me, here it works beautifully. In the sense of using frankincense as a soft, gray, ashy cloud, the usage reminds me of John Galliano EDP. They aren't, per se, deeply alike, but the CONCEPT -- base of frankincense blanketed in other notes -- is similar.

As its own thing, it's gorgeous and I'm seriously thinking of a bottle. Completely FBW.

I was given 2 samples of this fragrance bec it smelled so good in the store and also bec I was told the scent was lighter than the original. Last week in the grocery store a woman was looking at produce and I picked up a woodsy and spicy scent that I was a bit familiar with and it was so nice and I had to ask this lady bec I couldnt figure out exactly what her perfume was that she was wearing and giving off such a lovely smell. She smiled and said Opium the original one and added that she has been wearing it for over 20 years. She also told me she had sprayed once early that morning about 5 hours ago. The last bottle of Opium that I purchased was in California 15 years ago. When I came home and sprayed the Vapeurs Opium which by the way has the most gorgeous bottle at first it resembled some of the woods and spice of the original then a few minutes later the scent turned into jasmine but an old decaying jasmine scent and then into soap. I am sure this newer vapeurs would smell really good on some people whose chemistry doesnt turn jasmine but not for me. I washed my arm several times to remove the smell but the soapy smell lingered too long. Now the original Opium is quite the classic especially the drydown when it deepens into the woodsy notes and is just spectacular in it's own right. I definitely will get a bottle of the original for the cooler weather and forget about finding a lighter offspring. .

Popular Fragrances