August 28, 2014 | 1745 users online

Deodorants - Herban Cowboy - Unscented Maximum Protection Deodorant

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by smdunn91

I've been trying to find a cruelty-free deodorant that actually works. This is not one of them. The smell is great, very light and feminine (I bought the Blossom-scented one, not unscented). However, it lasted maybe 3 hours and then I started to stink which has been a common occurrence with the many cruelty-free deodorants that are also aluminum-free I have tried (this is the 5th or 6th brand I've tried so far and still no avail). Also, this brand is expensive! I paid $9 for this at Whole Foods, and obviously since I used it I can't return it. So along with this going in the trash my money will be as well. The search continues.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Vickybliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So on the fence with this one. I bought it in Blossom, it smells like something I wore when I was a pre-teen. I like the easy availability and the stick form. But, it doesn't completely mask odor, by mid-afternoon I have a deodorant fail. It might work better in the winter though, so I'm going to keep it around til then. I could keep re-applying, but it gets to be a pain! Plus I'm paranoid about BO at work. The quest continues!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by alisha_the_kitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an aluminum, paraben, triclosan, alcohol and propylene glycol free deodorant. It's also 100% vegan and US made.The texture a kind of like a solid gel (if that makes sense), so it's not the best for protection against feeling sticky/sweaty. As far as odor protection…this didn't do it for me. It works better than most that I've tried, but this still left me with odor if I sweated a lot. Perhaps I would've been better off with a scented version of this deodorant? Like most non-antiperspirants, this doesn't work for 24 hours either. You have to reapply at least once per day, even on days where you aren't sweating much.

Someone on another website mentioned that though the company claims that this product is free of propylene glycol, the "propanediol" ingredient is just another name for PG. Looking this up online, I see the there are two forms of propanediol: propylene glycol and trimethylene glycol. I'm not sure which one this ingredient falls under, but it is false advertising to claim that it's free of PG if the first ingredient is a glycol. Another concern is the silver ingredient. Is silver any safer to be rubbing under your arms (where you have lymph nodes!) than aluminum? Silver can cause things like argyria (turning your eyes/skin bluish-gray) or possibly other health issues. The label even states: "This product contains silver and/or silver salts, avoid contact with broken or abraded skin." Silver salts are said to be toxic, so I definitely don't want to be using this if they can't guarantee that this product is free of that.

I definitely wouldn't repurchase this deodorant. It didn't work as well as aluminum-containing antiperspirants, but I'm actually more worried about the silver content. I don't want to risk my skin turning bluish-gray or cause health issues. I would rather use aluminum if it came down to it.

I entered the ingredients up above.