December 21, 2014 | 961 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Barely Branded

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2014 12:32:00 PM More reviews by aenflex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted a MAC paint pot. To hold my beloved UD Sin & Vanilla pigment powders in place. Either Painterly or Bare Study. I'd heard these were good dupes, and in the interest of saving money, I bought the Maybelline CT in Barely Branded instead, since the cream matte versions of it are impossible to find locally.

* Application: very smooth, although the product isn't as creamy as I'd expected. I've heard MAC PPs are creamier and stay that way longer. It can crease after time on me, but as yet I've never found anything that doesn't. I think it's my eyelids.

* Appearance: lovely champagne/gold with the slightest hint of pink. Very similar to Vanilla or Bare Study. In fact, if Vanilla pigment wasn't so versatile, I could see myself replacing it with this product. I believe this is an almost total dupe of Bare Study, (I've swatched it but never bought). I do not find this to have a patchy application, although it is a shimmer and not a matte, sooo.

* Staying power/Ability to hold powder: this stuff stays where you put it, bar none. It lasted on my lids all day and into the evening. I even applied it to the back of my hand and left it for a few hours as I went about my day. I rubbed it with fingers and an old t shirt, and it wasn't coming off or smudging. I mean zero smudging. Tested on one lid, with Sin over top. On the other lid, just Sin. This holds the powder in place, plain and simple. I also applied this to fold of skin between my thumb and pointer with Sin over top, and it held that powder in place until I washed it off. I did notice some smudging, but I did laundry, made lunch, etc. YMMV, depending on the shadows you use? I find UD and MAC shadows to have excellent staying power anyhow.

* Value: for the amount of product, the $6 price is very fair, especially when compared to MAC.

Glad I bought this! Just sad I couldn't find the matte nude version.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:46:00 AM More reviews by MaisieF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I enjoy using this product as a base for other powder shadows. It does need to be blended well & takes a while to dry. Looks lovely for a night out due to the shimmer.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2014 6:45:00 AM More reviews by wubaduckie

A lovely champagne cream eyeshadow, perfect for days when you don't want to put on a lot of makeup. I don't particularly like how shimmery it is but as long as I put on a thin layer, it's all good. Packing it on can be a bit too much and can crease. That's why I apply with my little finger, allowing me to control how much I can put on my lid. I occasionally would use a shader brush with synthetic bristles for more precise application or if I want to pack it on.

The formula itself I find a little dry but that doesn't mean it's harder to pick up the pigment. I like to store my cream eyeshadows (and gel liners) upside down because apparently, that keeps the moisture up at the "top" (exposed surface of product) so it won't dry out as quickly.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by mexicancrackles

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this product. Perfect light shimmery champagne colour, good pigmentation, lasts for a decent amount of time (around 4 hours on my oily eyelids without a primer) and it's fairly inexpensive.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by brandysmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I find this too metallic if I use more than the barest touch. I also try to keep it only on my lids to keep from gilding the hooded portion of my eye. Barely Branded worked fine for awhile, but then it turned thick and pasty too soon for my liking. I added a spritz of MAC Fix+ to try to revive it, but I doubt I'll bother to continue to doctor this regularly. I like other products better as a base, so I probably won't repurchase this shade.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by Peachedpeaches

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Although I'm not a fan of the bulkier packaging they aren't hard to store if you've got other cream eyeshadows. This works great for a sheer flush of color, however, if you use more than a thin layer I suggest using a primer because it WILL crease on you. It's quite glittery in the pot but it only comes off as a sheen on my eyes. Overall, it's great for a nude-y eye or school.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Jeanfense

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this shadow! I like to apply it sheerly with my finger, and it lightens my eyes so nicely. It can get a little harsh if you apply to much, but it is quite lovely as a hint of color. And I agree that it makes an awesome base for other shadows as well. I have had no problem with application--the formula is super creamy and easy to apply.

I use it nearly every day, usually with Bad to the Bronze. Love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2014 4:36:00 AM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I like to use it as a highlight when doing my eyes and as a base, gorgeous color. So many looks you can create, very versatile!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

These are a very, VERY close dupe for MAC Paint Pots. It is also a pretty close dupe for the Stila Kitten smudge pot. Barely Branded is very close to MAC Bare Study. I am NW15 and use MAC Painterly or Bare Study paint pots as an eyeshadow base daily; it is the only eye primer/base I have found that keeps my eyeshadow on all day, and keeps it from creasing. I picked up the Color Tattoo in Barely Branded to try, and am very impressed with it. This works every bit as well as MAC Paint Pots as an eyeshadow base. I don't wear it alone, but it is pretty enough that I could. Barely Branded is a metallic shimmery champagne. I apply a small amount all over my entire lid up to my brow, let it set for about 30 seconds, and then apply my powder eyeshadow on top. My shadows last all day (about 10 hours) & stay crease-free. And, this is slightly less than half the cost of a MAC Paint Pot. Tip: Make sure the cap is screwed on tightly, and store upside down for the longest shelf life. I use this daily and have also purchased a few other colors to try out. Overall I am quite impressed with these, and I will definitely repurchase this to continue using as my shadow base.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:28:00 AM More reviews by hannahps

I'm a big fan of cream shadows, especially for quick makeup days. This takes seconds to apply and looks effortlessly great. When I'm in a rush, I just sweep this all over the lid, curl my lashes and put on mascara. The champagne colour is gorgeous and has a nice shimmer. The consistency is creamy and buildable. I tend to put on eyeshadow primer beforehand, but I've gone without it and still haven't had creasing. There's a lot of product in the pot, and it lasts a while. For only $10, this is a great makeup staple.