L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm

4.1

aqua / water / eau cetearyl alcohol behentrimonium chloride amodimethicone candelilla cera / candelilla wax / cire de candelilla cetyl esters glycerin isopropyl alcohol parfum / fragrance phenoxyethanol trideceth-6 hydroxypropyl guar arginine glutamic acid linalool hexyl cinnamal cetrimonium chloride serine chlorhexidine dihydrochloride benzyl salicylate hydroxypropyltrimonium hydrolyzed wheat protein benzyl alcohol limonene amyl cinnamal citronellol 2-oleamido-1,3-octadecanediol alpha-isomethyl ionone ci 19140 / yellow 5 ci 15985 / yellow 6

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I actually really like this conditioning masque based off the results it gives. L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm is VERY thick and does a great job both moisturizing the hair and adding slip. My hair feels really healthy after using this.

HOWEVER there are a few things about the ingredient list that recently caught my eye & concern me.

Let's start with the fact Isopropyl Alcohol is pretty high up on the list. That is a very drying alcohol for those of you unfamiliar. I worry that over time this could cause more harm than good. Fragrance follows right after, which is usually essential oils. Essential oils are typically drying too. If that's not bad enough, I see a bunch of cheap fillers. Some people will be turned off by the high wax content as it can potentially prevent moisture from penetrating the hair. But if you apply this to damp hair as directed, it should actually lock in that moisture. Similar to silicones. The wax is what is most likely giving hair that slippery moisturized feeling as it coats the hair. I take this as a pro rather than a con, it's up for you to decide what *your* hair likes.

I will also note that this product is NOT going to undo damage. It can not repair broken hair bonds like Olaplex can, and it does not have enough protein to restructure the hair. HOWEVER it can mask the damage on a regular basis if that's what you need to get by. The name is just misleading & gimmicky.

Here is a full ingredient list:
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla Cera) Wax, Cetyl Esters, Glycerin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Trideceth 6, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Arginine, Glutamic Acid, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Cetrimonium Chloride, Serine, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, 2 Oleamido 1,3 Octadecanediol, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Yellow 6 (CI 15985, D54157/1)

To be fair, MANY rave about this masque in my haircare group. But the high Isopropyl Alcohol & fragrance content is whats scaring me off of repurchasing. Great results? YES. But the unknown long term risk of those 2 ingredients is one I'm not willing to take.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My hair is VERY color treated and brittle except the roots that tend to get very oily. I wanted to try this off of youtuber Tati's rave review of it. Normally I can apply a good deep conditioner to every part of my hair including the roots if I of course do very minimal at the roots, detangle with a wide toothed comb, let it sit and then rinse out with cold water. I have a short a-line bob with shorter layers towards the nape of my neck so I always need something that isn't too heavy because there's no way for me to style around greasy hair. This deep conditioner left my hair super greasy no matter how small of an amount I used and felt as if it never really rinsed out enough. Sure this is cheap but for greasy hair it isn't worth all of the hype. I now use Kenra's Nourishing Deep Repair Masque from Ulta that leaves my hair so conditioned and soft without the heavy silicone or oils to make my hair heavy. Sure it's a bit more expensive but for me I've realized that spending the money on quality hair products is worth it and am now on another Kenra Shampoo/Conditioner regimen as well. I use the Kenra Hair Masque once a week, clarify with Kenra's Clarifying Shampoo once every two weeks and otherwise use their Blow-Dry Liquid Shampoo/Conditioner in the liter bottles daily just in case anyone was wondering.

This stuff is great!! This is one of the only hair masks I've used that keeps my hair silky even after it's dry.

I recently had multiple hair treatments done and it left my hair SUPER dry. I saw the recommendations on makeupalley and bought a jar of this. I am really pleased with the results. My hair feels silky and smooth when I use it. I do still have flyaways and some dryness on my ends on the days I don't use it but I REALLY REALLY FRIED MY HAIR so I don't think there is any miracle product to take it away completely. The only thing I don't like is the packaging. I realize for a product this thick it needs to be in a jar form but the lid is a serious pain in the butt. It doesn't easily screw back on and I have to re-screw it on multiple times before it closes correctly :(

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I recently bleached the ends of my hair (I did an ombre) and it left them horribly brittle and dry. My hair has a natural ringlet curl, and it was almost destroyed by the bleach. I tried so many drugstore deep conditioners to bring my hair back to normal, and this one so far is my favorite. Within 2 uses, my curls were mostly back to normal. My hair is no longer brittle, instead it is soft and touchable. I also have dry hair and this does a great job of keeping it hydrated.

My favorite thing about this treatment, though, is that it does not leave my hair greasy or overloaded with product. My hair is extremely fine and can look gunky really quickly. This washes out completely and doesn't leave a thick residue or weigh down my curls like most masks I've tried. If you have thicker hair, this might not be as nourishing as you need, but it is perfect for those with thin hair.

For the price, you get a good amount of product. I've had mine about 3 months and after using it 2x a week, I still have about 40% left. It smells good but is not overpowering. The scent lasts about 12 hours after washing.
I took off one lippie for two reasons:
1. The packaging sucks. The lid is big and clunky, and I hate having to scoop products out of jars. It's also tough to screw back on with slippery conditioner-covered hands.
2. It doesn't help much with existing split ends or breakage. It's improved my hair texture amazingly well, but the split ends weren't repaired much- considering that was one of the claims, I wanted to see a better improvement.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'll use this up, I guess, but I don't love it.

Texturally, it's deceptively emollient in the tub and if you're like me, you'll be all like, "hey, this is totally gonna hydrate the heck out of my garbage hair!" Unfortunately the rinse through never results in a good outcome. Well, not for me anyway.

It's not horrible by any means (I don't feel compelled to toss it into the trash in a fit of fury or anything), but the end result is usually too dry (if I rinsed too much) or kinda greasy (if even a little too much product was left behind).

I pretty much only end up using this if I've forgotten to restock a better conditioner and I've got nothing else on hand. Much prefer the Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer Mask over this one.

===

Quick dump of what I like and don't like as far as hair care lines/products to help you decide if we are hair twins, enemies, frenemies, or somewhere in between:

Not fond of L'Oreal hair products in general (cannot think of a single thing I've tried and loved, alas); have been using Neutrogena for years and like/sometimes love; love Alterna stuff (especially Bamboo subset (Caviar subset is overrated except for conditioners IMO)) but kinda pricy; generally have little to no love for Kerastase products; have much love for Bumble and Bumble but a hit or miss line (albeit in a good way — healthy differentiation between products!); not a Pantene kinda gal; loved Clairol Herbal Essences in the '90s; Dry Bar smells weird and even off-putting although some stuff is good; not generally fond of the Living Proof line but freaking love the Flex Shaping spray; thought Aussie 3-Minute Miracle was way better back in the day; genuinely detest Organix products; find Suave to be an occasionally surprisingly delightful brand for how cheap it is; am meh overall on Pureology but like some of their stuff well enough; consider Garnier to be mostly garbage, albeit delightful-smelling fruity garbage.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Stay away from this if you are sensitive to strong fragrances!

I bought this at my local CVS as it was on sale, and I liked the ingredients. But holy smell! When I used this in the shower, the fragrance seemed strong but I assumed it would go away after I had washed my hair. But O.M.G., the perfumey smell remains extremely strong the whole day until I shampoo again. I tried giving it a go a few more times, but it would give me a headache every single time and so I ended up throwing it into the trash.

Oh, and as for its moisturizing abilities, I wasn't impressed.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of my favorite drugstore deep conditioners and this is one of the few that I continue to repurchase again and again. This conditioner is very thick, and super moisturizing. This helps heal dry, damaged hair and makes your hair so unbelievably soft. I love the soft, floral scent. I would recommend this to anyone!

I'm surprised by all the great reviews. I tried this in the shower and also as a deep conditioner with a heated cap. Nothing special at all. The price is okay if you want to give it a try, but I'm not impressed.

love this product! I was using the Garnier Damage Eraser but it gave me breakouts. This is honestly so much better the smell is amazing and it doesn't cause breakouts. It leaves my hair silky and soft, which I needed after I had chemically fried my hair.