July 29, 2014 | 1963 users online

Hair Treatments - L'Oreal - Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by lisa1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I originally wanted the Ever Creme Nourishing Masque but you can't find it anywhere of course. So i settled for this. I have dry, colored, heat styled, 44 year old hair by the way. This tamed it a little but i don't feel it did the best job. My hair is just the same except maybe a little less frizzy on the first day. By the second day, it's back to frizzy brillo pad hair mess. So I'll give it a 3. Won't repurchase. I have since ordered the Evercreme on Amazon for almost $10. It's so annoying... All the products that are getting the highest marks are either discontinued or not sold in stores. I must be cursed. Anyway, back to this conditioner... MEH and YAWN! Nothing to write home about but of course it's readily available everywhere. sigh.... Will review the Evercreme once i get it. Hope it's not a letdown.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by porkiepine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have thick coarse jet black Asian hair. I decided to get highlights, and though I get lots of compliments with my new hair color the trade off was my healthy, soft beautiful hair. I use Matrix conditioning balm as conditioner and coconut oil as weekly treatment. Though cheap and greatly helps, I've got to admit coconut oil treatment is a hassle. So I'm glad to find this balm form L'Oreal. It's not pricey and you only have to leave it on for 5 minutes while in the shower. My hair is softer and smoother. The smell is not the best but it's definitely tolerable (for a lack of better word, I'd say it smells synthetically sweet).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by shakeyourhips

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS. I am on my second tub. I'm usually not one to do much to my hair other than washing and styling, but I figured I should start.
I don't use this every day. Maybe once or twice a week in the shower. I'll slather it on my ends and leave it while I shave. I then comb and rinse it out. My hair is left super silky, hydrated, and manageable. The smell is nice as well.
I just really love this product. I love that it's in a tub container and I love that it's affordable.
Holy grail for sure.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by ckitchens

I recently purchased this item because now that I am in my late 30's my hair has become dry and coarse. I have very thick jet black hair. It is styles in a very short/pixie bob. I color my hair every five weeks to cover my gray. This product worked very well. My hair was soft and shiny. It did not feel greasy or weighed down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

OMG! Holy grail hair mask! Let me explain: I am a natural medium ash blonde (level 6-7), but have been dying my hair varying shades of brown for the last 7 years. I've been everything from light golden brown to deep espresso to black. Now that I'm in my thirties, I decided to lighten up a bit in an effort to look a bit younger (dark hair on alabaster skin can be hella aging). Long story short, I pulled my hair through a cap three times over the course of a week, essentially triple bleaching it. Needless to say, I also had to tone, and then color, and then....ugh. My hair is now a lovely shade of medium blonde with a mixture of golden and ash tones (believe it or not), but absolutely damaged within an inch of its life. Everytime I ran my fingers through it I could hear snapping, and the day I wore a black sweater was just....horrifying. Little broken blonde hairs littered my shoulders like snow.Enter deep conditioners. Here are the ones I tried:

1. The Eva NYC mask that came in the May Ipsy bag. Twas "ok", certainly not life changing.
2. Fredrick Fekai Color Mask (I realize this is not the official name, but it's in a beautiful pink tub with a silver lid and smells like pink grapefruit made love to roses). This was pretty good, and the smell lingered for a day or two.
3. Pentene deep moisture conditioner: eh. Not impressed.

Even after using all of these, my hair was difficult to comb when wet, broke when stretched, and just altogether continued to suck. That is, until I pulled this golden tub by L'Oreal out of the deep recesses of my bathroom cabinet. That's right, I already had this. I guess I just had not thought about it, seeing as how my previously chesnut hair was always pretty healthy.

I smothered my strands with this balm in the shower, let it soak for around 7 minutes, rinsed, and was shocked at the ease with which my wide tooth comb glided through my hair like silk. After letting it air dry until it was about 60% dry, I blew it dry. For the first time since lightening, my brush ran through my hair unabated. No tugging, no pulling, no snapping, or breaking, or stretching, or tears, or tangles of hair all over the bathroom vanity. Just silky, shiny hair that glistens like spun gold.....ok....maybe not gold, but still pretty damn shiny and sparkly. It doesnt feel weighed down or heavy, or waxy or icky, just soft and manageable and pretty much perfect. I am really very grateful for this product, because I think it may have actually done what it claims to do: revered a year's worth of damage in one use. Okay, so I understand that is pretty much impossible and that my broken hairs will not regenerate, but if they at least stop breaking, I'm happy.

And L'Oreal, I am happy. Very happy indeed. You have a customer for life. Until I go back to brunette :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by anonymous321

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It was not good at all. i have relaxed african american hair and this product didn't make my hair softer, i didn't see any improvements. I used vidal sassoon's hair mask before this one and that one worked a whole lot better. i'm so disappointed in loreal

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2014 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Jenhaas504

I bought this months ago and hadn't really gave it much of a shot, until recently I tried the Macadamia Oil Mask and fell in love with it, but wanted to see if there was something out there a little cheaper with the same results, then I remembered I had purchased this so decided to give it a couple weeks shot. Its pretty good honestly, esp for the price you are paying for this item. Its not as good as the Macadamia Oil Mask, but if you are on a budget and looking for a cheaper alternative, def give this a try! It left my hair pretty darn soft and while it didn't take away 5 years of damage as it said, it did repair a little of the damage. It smells good in my opinion, although I have seen other reviewers say that they didn't care for the smell, even my boyfriend picked it up in the shower and opened it and said this smells good and put it in his hair. So, really its a good value for the money, pick it up and give it a try!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 1:06:00 AM More reviews by mzjade22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this because the other Loreal mask I was using was out of stock. A lot of people on YT rave about it, so I figured it was worth a shot. It does a pretty good job at repairing damage in one use, Ill give it that. But oh Lord, that smell! Its a very pungent detergent smell, almost like you're using Tide in your hair. The smell stays that strong even after washing and styling. I wish some of my better smelling conditioners had that kind of longevity, but oh well. I used this up and wont repurchase. I cant get past that smell!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by shelliemarie

This is a really good mask that I concentrate on my ends. I never use products with any type of dimethicone/amodimethicone aka silicone near my scalp,same thing applies to the candelilla in this product. Those ingredients can build up on your scalp and make your scalp clogged, and itchy. I have pretty course hair, because it's starting to gray, and this makes it feel very soft and manageable.I have only been using it a few weeks, but it has not seemed to dry my hair out as a few reviews have stated. Important to stay clear of sulfates in shampoo too if you are truly dedicated to getting softer hair. Sulfates are counter productive to that goal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by ninaeaster

This is so far my favorite deep conditioning mask I have used. The price is awesome and mask my hair soft.

Pros:
Smell is so yummy
price
Makes my hair smooth and tangle free

Cons:
none!

I plan on repurchasing but I want to try a few others first.