December 22, 2014 | 1797 users online

Polishes - Dior - Marilyn # 751

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I love love love red nail polish, and I went through a phase where I was obsessively looking for the very best one. In the end I decided it was a tie between OPI's Malaga Wine and Essie's Macks. Now, after trying this, I do believe it's a three-way tie. My preference leans towards the darker-but-not-vampy, classic, sexy, sophisticated end of the red spectrum. And while I like shimmers and glitters and metallics (very much, thank you!) I still feel like there's nothing like a drop-dead, ooh-what-shade-is-that red creme.
And then I heard about Dior's Marilyn. Eventually, I was able to get a hold of a bottle (it was LE and I'm not sure it's available for sale at this time) and not only did it not disappoint, but this red lives up to its namesake- and that's not something anyone should say lightly!
This is one of those gotta-have-it reds, Dior got it absolutely perfect. It's mid-toned, a little darker than fire engine red, pure va-va-va-voom! Yay for the excellent color, but I also have to say that the formula is un-freaking-believable. I couldn't believe how perfect it looked with zero effort, I'd actually call this a one-coater. Amazing. No problems with application or wear and the round, gold-topped bottle is too gorgeous. So glad to have this in my collection!
I recommend this to all polish collectors and to anyone who loves red nail polish, would definitely buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 4:42:00 AM More reviews by DiscoverBeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I received this polish as a gift I was really excited, but really didn't think much of it. When I went to put this polish on my nails I was totally impressed! I couldn't believe how easily it flowed across my nails with each stroke I made. The formula is really top notch, and second to none! The color is just absolutely stunning. I've included a photo in this review. It also wears like iron. I work with my hands for 10+ hours a day and put this on at the beginning of the week. By the end of my work week I barely even had any tip wear. Plus, if you're a nail polish fanatic/collector like myself, you're gonna want this beauty in your stash.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I'm halfway through a two week business trip and figured I should get myself a pick-me-up, so I bought this nail polish at the nearest Sephora.

OMG. Like really, just OMG. I've always been a big fan of Revlon Red as my go-to classic red nail polish, but I'm pretty sure this is my new one. Is there a difference in price? Yes. Is it worth it? YES.

The color is beautiful, a true, classic fire-engine red. It's really va-va-voom. The formula is highly pigmented. I actually figured I could have stopped at one coat, but I did two. Both coats were very thin, since the formula is very easy to spread, and doesn't streak at all. It dries really quickly as well -- a coat took about 4 minutes to dry. Since it's so thin on my nails I've had no chipping, so I'm pretty sure this color is only limited by how long it takes for me to get bored, or for my nails to grow out. Since it's a classic red, we'll go with the latter.

Oh, and the bottle is adorable. :) Overall, LOVE.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 2:12:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a gorgeous red--close to neutral, but leaning slightly to cool. It also has very, very fine gold shimmer that can really only be seen in direct sunlight. (Temptalia's photos show this very well.) Although it's not obvious, it gives the polish a unique depth of color. The formula is not too thick or thin, and despite its slightly jellylike appearance, it gives opaque coverage in two coats. (I might try three next time to give it a richer appearance.) I had only slight tip wear after a full week using Butter London basecoat and Seche topcoat. As a bonus, it comes in a gorgeous bottle with a great brush (not the annoying, hateful flat one Dior has been using) that makes application a dream. If you want a true, glamorous, classic, but not over-the-top red, this is it. Grab it before it's gone!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 11:37:00 PM More reviews by wtfiholly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love red nail polish! I am a red nail polish ho and I know it. I look at as many reds as I can to find that perfect red for that moment. I've found the perfect red for all my moments! It is wonderful. It is a straight red, it does not have lots of glitter going on. It is the truest red I have ever seen. Anyone could wear this red and be noticed. It is simply gorgeous! I bought this in a collection and in this collection I have #751 Marilyn, #901 Diva (yet to be tried on), and #011 Lady (yet to tried on). I think I will get the last of the 4 called Diorling which is a gold polish.
# 751 Marilyn went on like a dream without streaks. It covered in one coat but I used two to be on the safe side. I used a base coat and a top coat. When I removed the polish that seeped over my nail bed it did not stain like others I have used. This polish did not bubble either and did not shrink after drying. This polish does dry fast but does not ball up if you repair a nic before your top coat.
This polish is beautiful! Like something Marilyn would have worn, or my mother at that time, very sexy without being in your face about it. It's noticeable, but the kind of noticeable that speaks of elegance, timelessness, beauty. I'm thrilled with this shade of red! This is better than my favorite red from OPI "I'm not really a waitress".
I love the way the brush works. It's a standard brush not like the brushes that Dior has been using, but it did a fab job of painting without issue. The brush did not let the color ball up or streak and that's a plus.
It is so worth the price I paid for all three if I can enjoy nothing but this red then so be it, but I've got two more to try so that's my little pleasure. Get this if you can and wear it proudly! It is gorgeous, enjoy!