Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic Acid+Plus Retinol Brightening Solution

4.2

Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate, Ferulic Acid, Retinol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract, Arbutin, Morus Alba Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Mandelic Acid, Hexylresorcinol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Quercetin, Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates, Ubiquinone, Phospholipids, Disodium EDTA, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Urea, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol.

on 2/3/2015 8:13:00 AM

This was an unremarkable serum for me. I bought several sample sizes rather than paying $85.00 for a full size bottle, and I am very glad that I did.

For reference, I have dry skin on my cheeks and eye area, and very oily nose and chin. It did sink into my skin very fast, and there was no greasy residue, but I absolutely hated the smell of this serum.

I noticed no difference whatsoever in my skin after using several small bottles of this. I did notice something about the product itself though. After opening, the serum deteriorated and ended up with floating black bits in it (resembling balsamic vinegar in oil). This happened with every bottle I had, and I had only had each of the bottles open for a couple of weeks. I have no idea why this happened or what the oily black lumps were, but I am glad that I didn't buy a full size of this.

Very disappointed that my skin looked no better even after using for a couple of months. Won't be repurchasing.

on 9/8/2014 10:12:00 AM

This really helps smooth out and brighten my skin. I've been using it morning and night.

I had received a gift card to sephora for 100 dollars. Having recently turned 35 I decided to spend it on skin care. My skin is very fair, combination, light acne, fine lines, milia. I'm probably being hard on myself but the magnifying mirror of truth as we call it pointed all of this out.

A true skin care addict, I must say I love this product!! Could it be that it made a difference in just 3 days? Yep! It is pricey! 106 CAD plus tax but a good time to try it as I had a gift card. A little goes a long way here in the one ounce dropper bottle. Slight medicinal smell. I found it leaves a very slight tack on the skin but it's very slight and goes away quickly.

Biggest change I have noticed right away was skin colouring was more even, helped my mild acne quickly, and my skin was smoother. Nice under makeup.

Any small small complaints are easily overridden by the great results. I consider it to be a good investment. I had no sensitivity issues here either with the retinol.

Will buy again! Will continue to get carded! (No joke)

on 6/4/2014 10:54:00 AM

I wanted to find a retinol product that wouldn't irritate my skin and based on the glowing reviews, I thought I had picked out a good one. At first I used it every night, but my skin didn't like that. I got rough and red results. So then, I tried using it every 3 nights. That still didn't work out. I was hoping that old acne scarring and red marks would start to fade, but my skin just got rough and the red marks got worse. My skin looked terrible! I really gave it a fair chance, but returned it. I still hope to someday find a retinol product that won't irritate my skin. (For reference, my skin is sensitive, dehydrated, slightly-oily, reactive and clog-prone.)

on 3/8/2014 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I have been using this every morning and night for the past couple weeks and I love it. It only takes a couple drops to smooth over my entire face, so even though it cost 85$ a bottle, I know it will last a very long time. my skin already looks brighter, firmer, and younger. Also I have noticed some acne marks have faded already and my skin tone is more even overall. I am still looking for a similar product that costs less. I mean, its 85$!

on 3/1/2014 3:40:00 PM

This product is really helping with my red acne scars. I've only used it a short amount of time and I already see a big difference in the condition of my skin. Will repurchase for sure.

on 1/13/2014 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Usually I hate writing reviews because I am so lazy. This product though has changed my skin for the better. LIke way better!!!!!!!! I had very dark acne spots on my forehead that would never go away no matter what product I used, but this product has changed my skin that I am so happy. Most of my scaring has gone done and my milia basically disappeared on my forehead and it looks clear. My acne has gone done a lot too. I hate how 1 fluid once is 85 dollars. It sucks but it is so worth it I would recommend this if you have the money. I also have scarring on my cheeks and this has helped with it also.

on 12/25/2013 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Really amazing product! I was introduced to this by a Sephora rep, and I was hesitant to spend the $85 at first, but I trust their recommendations and I am known to return stuff quickly if I don't like it.
I love the feel of this serum, its very light and watery, not heavy like some serums. Didn't feel like there was a film on my face after using it. I saw results after only a week and now that I'm on my fourth week, I am sooo hooked on this! I can see a difference in my redness (which is all over my cheeks) and some slight fading if my freckles. It really makes my skin look super-smooth and it doesn't have any sting or burning sensation that I've felt with other retinol-based products. I also see an improvement in my overall skin tone, much more even and not blotchy.
This vial will probably last me for another 2 or 3 months and then I am definitely buying another! Will probably go on Ebay to get a cheaper price.
This comes with cotton round pads to apply product, but I just apply the dropper directly onto my skin and blend all over my face, even under my eye area. This is one that I would say is worth the full price, if you have no choice but to get it that way. My skin is on the oily side, with occasional breakouts, but this serum does not irritate my skin in anyway. If anything I would say that it has improved my excessive oiliness! I don't use moisturizer over this since I don't feel my skin needs it. It does have a strong medicinal smell, but once I put it on I don't notice it. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good serum with retinol that does not irritate or feel heavy.

on 11/27/2013 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been pleasantly surprised with the results from this product. Although I haven't noticed too much of a difference with my hyperpigmentation, my family definitely has. One day on the weekend (when I wasn't wearing makeup) I was with my dad whom I hadn't seen in two weeks, and he asked I I was wearing makeup. I said no... And he said wow your skin looks so much better! Anyways to get on with it this definitely isn't a miracle product as I still have quite visible acne scarring, but it helps loads with keeping my skin under control, and I haven't had any breakouts since using it, and if you are diligent with it you will definitely see good results! On a final note- it is expensive but I just use it on my cheeks that are the problem areas and have been using it for a month and I have used less than a quarter of the bottle.

on 11/8/2013 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for about 4 months now, so I figured a fair assessment can be written. First of all, I have very oily, sensitive, rosacea (flushing and telangiectasia prone) skin that has undergone 3 Gemini laser treatment in the past 3 years. In February I also had one session of Excel-V which I felt worked slightly different than Gemini, but enough of the preamble.

This serum has the consistency of water, perhaps with just a hint of viscosity. It has a faint medicinal smell to me, which isn't offensive and doesn't linger. I don't use the pads that come with the serum; instead I just put 4 drops of this serum in my palm and apply it with my finger. Works fine that way.

Now I don't really have fine lines other than a few under my eyes from the inner corners. For those lines unfortunately the serum hasn't done much to eliminate them, but no big deal there. Got a bit of freckles still though the previous laser treatments inadvertently lightened them as a happy side effect - maybe the serum keeps them from becoming darker again, maybe not. I wear Shiseido's SPF38 sunscreen daily so who gets more credit? Your call.

What's astonishing, though, is how much the serum improved my skin tone - we're talking overall lightening of a shade or two. I wasn't the only one noticing that about one month into my usage. Due to my rosacea, I'm not certain how it works: does it "bleach" the skin a bit? Or merely takes my overall redness down and therefore the skin tone I see now is supposed to be my natural tone anyway? I honestly can't say. I just know that nothing I've ever used gave me that much noticeable effect in such a short time.

So for me, no real changes to tiny fine lines and faint spots, but the serum definitely delivers when it comes to brightening. Anything else to justify the serious outlay of cash? Well, I happen to think it smooths the surface of my skin and helps keeping the pores clear (remember my skin is basically an oil slick), too. I definitely can feel the smoothness when I touch my face.

In a nutshell, a product that has improved the OVERALL look and feel of my skin. I'm not one with a need to eliminate every flaw and blemish from my face so this general improvement is something I'd rather have. A brighter, less red face with smoother texture. I'll take that.

(Note: this product is indeed very expensive, with Sephora showing a price of about $100 CAD. I got it from a known skin/beauty site online when there was a 30% off sale and that made it more palatable at about $80 including taxes. If there's a way to get a sample that'll last you at least a month, do that first).

Popular Treatments (Face)