April 23, 2014 | 1930 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Contour brush

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by tatcuya114

First of all, I love all of the Real Techniques brushes I've purchased so far. I like their handles and the synthetic bristles. They perform so well for the price and are so easy to clean. I spot clean my brushes everyday by rubbing it against a cotton pad soaked with 91% rubbing alcohol. Because it's synthetic hair, I don't need to worry too much about the potential damage the alcohol could do to the hair. I found that this was the easiest and most effective method of getting all of the powder/color off the brush and disinfect it. The alcohol evaporates super fast. After that, your brush is all brand new and ready to use!

This brush, like many other Real Techniques brushes, is very versatile. I use it as a blush brush, a highlighter brush, and a precise setting brush. It works really well for all of these purposes. And, recently, I've discovered that you can use it as a foundation brush to work with the type of liquidy, light to medium coverage foundations.

Let me elaborate more. I have dry patches on my face because of the anti-acne and retinol products I use. Recently, I have developed a love for very light to medium coverage liquidy foundations that are imperceptible on the face, mostly because that's the kind of formula that doesn't accentuate the dry flakes on my face. I have two HG foundation brushes: the Real Techniques expert face brush, and the Shiseido foundation brush. I like both of them, because they disperse foundation thinly and evenly on my face. But recently I've found that because these brushes are on the denser side, they stir up the dry flakes on my face when my face is dry.

That's where the versatility of this contour brush comes in. Because this brush was designed to work with powder, it's looser and softer than those foundation brushes. When you use it to disperse liquid foundation on your skin, it's so gentle that it won't stir up the dry flakes. Personally I've only tried it with light to medium, very liquidy formulas (such as the Koh Gen Do aqua foundation), and found that it worked really well. But I think for heavier and higher coverage formulas, this brush may not work as well.

I got the brush from iherb.com. They ship fast and have great prices for the Real Techniques brush range. For the amount you pay, the quality of the brush will exceed your expectations. And, dry skin ladies, if you are looking for a gentle brush that applies your foundation nicely, it doesn't hurt to give this a try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I love the contour brush from real techniques, just wish we could purchase it alone. I just do not used the other brushes in the kit. the contour brush is just perfect size (big egg shape) soft and full enough to give a lot of control.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by graceybaby8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my go to contour brush! It's small enough to fit under my cheekbones but it picks up the product so well. It blends my contour product like no other brush(I use too faced chocolate soleil bronzer or NYX taupe blush to contour) I love how the bristles are stiff so I can have maximum control where my product goes. If this brush was sold individually I would buy 2 more hehe. It's easy to clean and dries extremely quick. It came in a set that cost about $20 Canadian at london drugs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2014 8:28:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like some of the RT brushes, and this is one of them. I know it's a contour brush, but I don't use it very often for that. I mostly use it to apply powder highlighter, or set my under eye concealer with MUFE HD powder. It's a really good brush! I haven't had any hairs shed, and it's really soft. After you wash it, it dries really fast. It has an aluminum ferrule that you can dent if you're not careful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2013 1:58:00 AM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This brush is the perfect egg shape and stiffness for so many things. I reach for this brush (along with the buffing brush) so often, and almost wish I had 50 of these to use.

The uses I have found it perfect for are:
- Contouring right under the cheekbones (as it states)
- Blush application
- Highlighter application
- Powder or liquid foundation application
- Buffing or blending out face makeup

The bristles are good in quality as well. I've only found one or two odd hairs to stick out strangely, but other than that, with deep cleansing often, it's stood up to the rest of time with the rest of my brushes and fantastic price as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2013 5:22:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Real Techniques brushes have rightfully earned their name, and the Core Collection is a good place to start. The Contour Brush is one of those brushes you're not sure what to do with, at first. I certainly have gone back and picked it up for a different purpose each time. This is definitively one to have around!

I can see it working for any of the following uses:

CONTOUR: Being slightly smaller and more tapered than MAC 109, it can be more precise while still being able to blend colors out for a natural finish. It fits easily into the hollows of the cheeks and feels incredibly soft.

HIGHLIGHT: If you don't really like to use a fan brush, this is ideal for applying highlight. It is fluffy enough to pick product, and it's small enough to be precise. Anyone who uses Fan Brushes regularly will tell you that the synthetic ones are no good most of the time, they pick up less and they don't blend out. This just as good, if not better than a natural hair fan brush.

BLUSH: Be it that you have a smaller face or you like to be more precise, this is a great one. It's just like a mini blush-brush. Picks up well, deposits nicely, and because the base is slightly stiff, it is good at blending.
Works amazingly also for cream blush. The tapered shape allows precision in picking, dotting, and blending. Because it is synthetic and doesn't absorb, it is superior to all its natural hair counterparts.

*NOTE. The black matte part of the handles does eventually start to 'wrinkle', depending on how often you wash. At that point I prefer to scrape it all off, uncovering the shiny plastic part. It's disappointing as it looks and feels much nicer when it is matte, but I can live with that as the brush remains fully functional.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by AsagaonoHana

A relatively good brush.

I use it with powder and cream bronzers and contouring products.

For powder bronzer/contour. ( I LOVE using chocolate powder which is a great substitute for commercial products like Too Faced bronzer , Bobbi Brown Bronzing powder and MAC Mineralize skin finish or Bronzing powder )
I tap a small amount onto the brush, tap off the excess and contour along my forehead, cheek bones and jawline, the result is a really really natural smooth contour that just subtly defines my facial architecture.

For Cream bronzers ( I LOOOVE Kevyn Aucoin Shade and Illuminate, but you can equally use any cream and liquid contour/bronzer. )
with a small amount I sculpt along my facial architecture, forehead , cheekbones and jawline ( sometimes I extend down to my neck ) the effects are fabulous, a smooth transition of definition.

I particularly like to use this with my rice powder , tap some powder, tap off the excess, powder lightly over the T-zone, a good precision powder brush :)

Always follow this rule when it comes to makeup, less is more and you can build up the coverage/intensity of products.

I like this brush , its the right amount of density and softness for product, but unfortunately, as with MANY of the brushes aimed for contouring..It wasn't anything special..i know some people LOVE this brush..i just happen to one of the many who doesn't fancy it.

BUT for the price, being bugdet friendly for anyones buck, its a great choice, especially since it comes in a set of three other brushes, i LOOOVE THE BUFFING BRUSH!!!!

My review of the Real Techniques Buffing brush is already present on Makeupalley if your interested to look at it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 5:35:00 AM More reviews by lndtng

Great brush. A nice fit for contouring your cheek bones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by susiej

I bought the Core Collection specifically for this brush (this and the buffing brush).

I find it *perfect* SUPER *perfect* for really directed application of blush. I have a small face and favour small brushes for blush so this is just ideal. Picks up and blends pigment easily.

It's soft, it's well-made, great quality, doesn't shed, dries fast after washing and I really can't fault it. I wish I had been able to buy it on its own but heh ho.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by Leanne05

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this brush! It's so soft and the colour of the handle is lovely as it makes a change from usual black handles.

I use this as a foundation brush with liquid foundation and gives amazing results!