November 27, 2014 | 1394 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - E.L.F. - Mascara & Shadow Shield

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Disclaimer: I've never used this as a shadow shield because I always do my eye makeup before my face makeup so that I don't have to worry about fallout messing up my face. This review is only for the product's use as a mascara shield.

I love this tool for applying my mascara. I have a very prominent brow bone that makes it impossible to apply mascara without getting it on the brow bone, especially if I really want to get the tips coated. In the past I used a plastic card like an old insurance card and used that to shield my brow bone from my mascara, and while that worked for not getting it on the brow bone, I would still get smudging on the lid due to my lids having a very rounded shape.

I found some mascara shields made from card stock which were curved which stopped the eyelid smudging but were not reusable. I decided to try this e.l.f. shield because it is made from silicone and can be washed. It works great. The curved shape fits my eye and i found that i can push my mascara on to my lashes and the resistance from the shield allows for a more even coating of mascara with less clumping.

The silicone material has some grip to it which keeps it in place during use but that also means that makeup really sticks to it and it gets dirty fast. You have to scrub a bit to get it clean. I clean mine with either hand soap or facial cleanser. They both work fine

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2012 10:31:00 PM More reviews by trillium13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've had a very different experience than the previous reviewer. I bought this to use under my eyes to catch fall out. It doesn't work for this at all. It doesn't fit my undereye shape at all. It's also flimsy in all the wrong ways, so it doesn't contour itself to your undereye in a way that would catch fallout. I really wanted to love this, because it seemed like it would be so much easier than having to hold up a tissue, but this was a big disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2012 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hooray for this tool! It's a simple black plastic wand with a large, cut-out, fexible silicone disk designed to protect/shield the eye while applying shadows, pencils and mascara. There are two cut-outs, sort of like two half moons, one smaller than the other so that I can move the shield around for mascara, shadow, liner.

Best of all the price was 50% off bringing the tool to $1.50 US. The second great thing is the fact that the silicone feels soft, cool and smooth on the skin with no hard edges. It also sticks to the skin so I can "lift" my lashes up to apply mascara instead of using the lash curlers all the time. It washes clean with a little soap and water and is completely reversible.

What a neat idea and worth every penny. Instant love.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No