Clinique Chubby Stick Intense

4.3

I don't buy Clinique because of animal testing, but I got some stuff as a gift so I'll throw this a review. I have this in 08 Grandest Grape and I really love the sheer but deep berry shade. Also a fan of the light, moisturizing texture that soaks into the lips. I like that it's unscented and gentle. It even comes in a great twist-up container and doesn't require sharpening (looking at you, NARS). I don't love the staying power. To be fair to the product, it is marketed as a tinted balm, not a lipstick or stain, so I guess the staying power is par for the course. However, usually with a dark shade like this a bit of a stain will be left behind after it fades, but this pretty much wears right off, and any stain that's left behind is a bit blotchy. Still, it's a winner in many respects. I'd recommend layering it over another product like a lipstick or a stain for more tint.

Will use up but not re-buy.

Love these chubby lipsticks. I will buy again.

These are very creamy and go on so nice

I have Broadest Berry. First of all, these are way better than the regular Chubby Sticks IMO. I don't understand paying $16 for a barely there tint. But these actually go on like with pigment and ooomph. Broadest Berry is a no brainer color for my deep soft winter complexion. While it is deep and berry, I could pull this color off all year round. It just sits more easy and natural in the Fall/Winter though. I like that these do not need to be sharpened and application is fine. This would be a great color for those that want to wear a deep shade but are a bit timid about it.

FYI - Broadest Berry is a very, very close dupe to Smashbox Fig.

But here is the "con". The "wow", I have never put on a Chubby Stick and thought, "wow". The colors are always very neutral, but I guess that is Clinique's way. While Broadest Berry is the best shade on me of the selection, it is still a bit boring. I have a ton of these colors. Broadest Berry does have a nice touch of red over purple in it (most of mine skew a touch purple). It looks very nice, but just doesn't have that extra "daaaaang" as I get from other lines...it has this soft neutral feel. This will be a plus for many, it is just, with my coloring, I can really enjoy these colors. Out of all my shades like this, this is pretty safe and simple. The shades that are similar that I have put on and thought..."daaaaang" are MAC Dark Side, MAC Rebel (way more purple), UD Shame, etc.

I have this in Plushest Punch and right now, it is my favourite makeup product. Definitely the best tinted balm I've used. I love the color and the fact that it's easy to apply and moisturizing but also has great Color pay off. I much prefer this to wearing lipstick. I treated myself when I bought this, as it was $20, but It was definitely worth it for me. I wear this nearly every day and usually only have to touch up once as it stains the lip nicely even after some of the product wears off. I brush my lips lightly using a toothbrush to get rid of any dry skin and then apply some coconut oil for moisture before applying this so it looks flawless. I also find if I apply a regular balm or coconut oil to my lips before applying this, I am able to get a bit of a lighter Color easily if that's what I'd prefer that day. Would definitely repurchase and can't wait to try Grandest Grape!

I'm in the minority because I was actually disappointed by this product. I usually wear lip stains and a lip balm with SPF in the summer. The lip stains I've been using fade evenly over time for a natural look. This chubby stick leaves an unattractive ring around my lips (I have it in Plushest Punch) after eating or drinking. I also found it to be drying. It was part of a GWP set and I love the size (about three inches long) and the packaging. It's too bad.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I have this in Roomiest Rose, a classic dark pink. Very sophisticated colour, neutral undertones, it's a pink which will suit most skintones & hair colours. No glitter, shimmer or sparkles, but a creamy, intensely coloured but non-opaque look. Texture is soft, longevity meh (but what do you expect from a coloured lip balm) but it's easy to re-apply. Often these lip balms sticks to dry patches and when you re-apply it becomes one big crumbly mess. Not with this one! Easy to wear, gorgeous colour and a bit of moisture, I love it!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is fast becoming my HG tinted balm and even, dare I say, lip product.

I bought the shade Heftiest Hibiscus and it's the perfect easy red for me because I love the drama of red lipstick but hate how fussy it can be - applying it perfectly, making sure it's not on my teeth, doesn't bleed/feather, etc. This product gives me the look I want without the extra care red lipstick sometimes needs.

Formula-wise, it has all the moisturizing and hydration power of a lip balm with the intensity of a lipstick. My lips are always chapped and dry so this is really important for me (I usually apply a layer of lip balm after lipstick so this product saves me a step in the morning and when I'm out). It's also surprisingly long-lasting and only faded a little through eating and drinking (no straw). The finish is quite glossy but can be blotted for a matte/satin stain. It tends to last around 4-5hours on me. In my opinion, this wore a lot better than the Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint Romantic that I was originally using because Tarte's version of the chubby stick just isn't as long-wearing, and often disappears completely after drinking something.

I was really surprised by the price as well. It retails for $26 at Sephora here and it's just a little more expensive than the drugstore brand lipsticks (Maybelline's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain is $19.90). Honestly, I would rather pay that little bit extra for the Clinique quality I know I'll get and I can't wait to add more shades to my collection.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

PROS:

-moisture: a really moisturizing lipstick, feels like a nice luxurious lip balm
-color: the chubby sticks intense have amazing color payoff. you can wear them sheered out by tapping it on your lips or your can apply with a full swipe and get a fantastic rich pigmented shade
-packaging: you get a ton of product. No need to sharpen, since it is a twist up, and i find it easier to apply than a regular ole lipstick for my non existent lips
-price: okay, so it's not NYC-type cheap, but at sephora, for the amount of product you get, and for its versatility, I would pay a lot more than it actually costs.
-staying power: surprising staying power actually, for a lip product so smooth and moisturizing! Lasts me through a meal, especially over a lip liner

MEDIUM:
the color selection is not extensive, i do wish for them to come out with more, but the shades they do offer are STUNNING. Broadest Berry is a truly unique brown berry shade: not too pink, not too brown, just a PERFECT vampy lip. And plushest punch is my go to hot pink.

CONS:
it does have a scent, it's not unpleasant, but if you don't like that it's something to consider

Overall these are something I recommend to everyone (I work at Shoppers Drug Mart in the Beauty Gallery). Young girls getting into makeup can use them sparingly for day and more boldly for night, and mature ladies can use them to not excentuate their fine lip lines and dryness. It's a stellar product!

I like Clinique lipsticks especially that they don't smell like lipstick. I have the roomiest rose of this stick and it seems to do the trick with my work outfit. It says intense but I think it puts the right amount of color on your lips and doesn't come off with residue or half colored lips. It leaves a nice tint which means I don't have to worry about my lips looking pale mid day. I barely retouch so this is good for me.