July 28, 2014 | 1390 users online

Styling Products - TiGi - Candy Fixations Sugar Shock

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Angelique79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a salt spray fan for texture however, I know that salt can really dry out the hair and when it's winter, drying out your hair is not ideal. I was curious about this spray since it uses a sucrose (a form of sugar) to texturize the hair, which I dont believe is overly drying.

This product is four stars because the formula itself, at least for me, does work. When worked into dry roots, it does plump up the hair and provide volume. When scrunched into ends, it does provide a thicker texture and define my already wavy hair into something way more sexy and full. A little does indeed go a long way and I dont get super dried out ends from it.

I've taken off one star for the poor packaging! I've used products before that were great but the bottle the company chose was that weird Windex spray bottle or the extended nozzle you might find on products for volumizing. I dont understand it! First I will say that these both of these types of bottles are terrible. Paired with a product where over-application can ruin the experience, one wouldn't be able to "mist" the product onto hair with this extended nozzle and Sugar Shock comes with exactly this nozzle. Controlling the application of this stuff is critical. Having said that: I will never know if indeed this particular product paired with this nozzle would be an exception because the nozzle is unable to work. The liquid builds up, sugar is the third ingredient on the list, so naturally, it blocks the spray mechanism and no matter what you do...it will clog. Even if you were to put it in a different spray bottle, it's a no-go. This forces you to open the bottle and pour a little bit into your palm at a time and apply it that way, which I, personally, would suggest you do anyway, because it gives you more control of how much goes in. I never let poor packaging stop me from using anything!

So there you have it...I'd probably buy it again if I saw it on sale. Paying 15 dollars for a good product in a crap vehicle annoys me.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by syntheticaesthetics

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First off, the smell of this product is really very nice, very Aquolina Pink Sugar-esque. As for adding volume, did not do much. I've tried it on slightly damp hair as well as dry hair and both ways my hair fell flat again within an hour. The same goes for any "tousled" look initially provided. It does get very sticky if you apply too much or if you spray too closely to your hair. Also, the packaging is not compatible for the consistency of the liquid. It's so thick and sticky (think previously licked lollipop) that it would gunk up the spray nozzle and no product could come out. I would unscrew the cap and try to clean it with a cotton swab, but when it comes to the point where I have to do this every day, it's just not worth it. I even tried putting the product in a different container (the traditional spray head, like what the B&B Surf Spray has), and it would still gunk up before I could manage a second spray! Save your money.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by EscalatorKid

Well, I bought this at a "Buy 1, Get 2 Free" sale at the Wal-Mart salon. (I don't get my hair cut there, but I do see the sale racks when I walk by. And I got sucked in by that sale.)

When I used the product as intended, which is to spray on top of dry or towel dried hair to create waves, yes, it made my hair look oily and feel stiff and gunky. (It really does give that tousled wave look, though, so I guess if that's your style, it'll work.)

However, as with many TiGi products, the "instructions" they give are less than stellar.

I decided to spray a few sprays (I need 3-5 with shaggy, layered hair, your mileage may vary) into my palm, rub it between my hands, and then worked it through my hair. I blow dried my hair as I usually do, with my head upside down, and flipped my head back up, and I had crazy volume and thickness. My hair did settle down, but it's still visibly thicker and volumized. I really can't complain.

If you use this as intended, it might not be the best.

However, if you use it as a blow-dry thickening spray, it's fantastic.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by fiby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this to be a substitute for my Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray which was running out. I thought it would be nice to try, since from time to time Tigi manages to have some good styling products (i.e.Foxxy Curls spray). The guaranteed good scent also was definitely not a con!

But unfortunately Sugar Shock turned out to be quite a disappointment. My hair is fine, naturally wavy and quite long (mid back) so it lacks volume and thickness. Salt spray gives just the right amount of roughness and a nice volume which I expected Sugar Shock to do as well. Turns out it doesn't. It gives nice smell, that's it. Oh and very sticky and rough hair if you put it on too much.

I tried to add a little amount, like 5-6 sprays to my roots and 2 for the lengths. I get nothing. At first there is a nice quite subtle volume, the kind you get from B&B. But after 30 minutes it's gone. The next time around I add the product more generously, if it might work better. No, just worse. My hair is stiff and the messy volume I got at first lasts 45 minutes. Not impressed.

So basically I will use this as a base for a messy bun, nothing else. Doesn't work, at least not for me. But the smell is gorgeous as always.