TheBalm Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

4.4

on 3/29/2015 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the eyeshadow colors in this. I don't find myself using the highlighter often and I've never used the blush or the glosses. The purples in this are great. The sparkly green is unlike anything I own. True to thebalm fashion quality is excellent.

on 3/10/2015 12:05:00 PM

I did not have high expectations for this palette, as most face palettes like this one have a lot of duds and few gems. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! There isn't a single eyeshadow shade in this bad boy that I won't use (although Metal-ica I'll use rarely, only for special occasions), and the pigmentation is AMAZING! I think I love this palette even more than my beloved Lorac Pro. I'm currently running out of eye primer, and even with very minimal to no primer the shades are vibrant, blend well, and stay put for 10+ hours! Sometimes when using my lorac pro or naked basics, the colors all blend together into a muddy looking mess, but not with theBalm! and that's WITHOUT a primer. I'm not usually one to leave reviews, but you all need to buy this asap. The highlighter and blush are what really makes this palette a steal, and I will be purchasing full size blushes and highlights from theBalm very soon. The only thing i'm not a huge fan of are the cheek/lip cream products, they don't blend well over foundation and I prefer an opaque lip product. I will use them on cheeks without foundation, though :)

on 12/2/2014 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Such a versatile palette! I love all the buttery smooth shadows--they're very pigmented, and the highlighter (Mary Lou-manizer) is amazing, so is the blush (Frat Boy). The two lip/cheek colors are great too. I use them more as cheek colors, and they blend beautifully into the skin, giving very natural color. Also, I just can't get over all the clever names! This palette is a must for anyone who travels a lot, but doesn't want to carry a bunch of individual products. :D

on 11/23/2014 5:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my favourite palette of all time, which is huge coming from a palette junkie who never picks favourites from her babies! Let me tell you why:

* it's super portable. I travel a lot and this is all I need for a full face. Instead of toting around a huge bag I just pop this in my handbag with concealer, foundation and mascara. These shadows are so buttery and pigmented you can live without primer, though of course the excel further with it. Allegro doubles as contour.

* I need diversity in a palette which is something becoming rare in this age of neutral loving. There is not one product or shade in this baby that is not awesome on my neutral NC25 skin. Seriously I am a tough critic and to have everything in one palette be wearable and flattering is the stuff unicorns are made of.

*The shadows are up there with Lorac in terms of pigment and texture, and are way better and more consistent than UD. Sometimes thebalm can turn out a dud shadow, but none of that here. All super pretty and functional. Whether you want neutral, smokey, Rockstar, colour pop, halo, whatever - you can do it with these 12 superb shadows.

* I'm told Disco ball is the iconic Mary loumanizer. Either way, I need this in my life. It's an HG highlighter that I use every day, even if I don't touch the shadows. Use lots or a little, depending on mood or look. It's brilliant, literally!

* The blush is pinker than I usually go for but it works surprisingly well. Go light handed for sheer as the pigment is strong and bold. Doubles as a shadow.

* The creams are actually gorgeous. I usually skip over these in palettes but these two are highly functional on both lips and cheeks. They are even complimentary used together in the same look, with milly on cheeks and vanilly on lips (or vice versa). You can even blend/layer for more colours.

* Packaging is nothing less than the fabulously clever and cute we expect from theBalm. Cardboard is sturdy, magnet is strong, powders and creams separated. Everything about this is pretty and functional. The shade names are witty and all in theme.

I didn't think I needed this as I had just bought balm voyage (I'm a frequent traveler) and I have so many travel palettes like lancome, dior, ysl, Estee Lauder, and of course a whole bunch of eyeshadow only palettes. Unfortunately Balm Jovi retails for about $60-70 in the Philippines and this is so great I wouldn't hesitate to drop that kind of money again if I had to, but luckily they can be found cheaper online. In fact I might need to repurchase soon given the use I'm getting. It's been 2 months of daily use and I think it will take 6 months to see pan on anything. But I can't live without it. All my other expensive HE palettes are collecting dust as this one is never far from my side.

So much love to theBalm for making a perfect palette! You have made my life easier, my use of pigments more creative, and my luggage lighter. Bravo.

on 10/13/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I LOVE everything about this palette! All the colors are great, plus I really enjoy all the clever names and color categories. This is so much fun to use.

on 10/5/2014 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I like this palette and am glad i have it especially for the price I paid. I got it from Hautelook for 50% off the normal price.The colors are versatile.You can get a nice variety of eyeshadow looks that are good for everyday but more interesting than just nude browns and taupes that are everywhere. The colors are really pigmented. They go on very strong. But the reason I don't like it as much as I thought I would is that they seem kind of powdery and chalky. They tend to wear off more easily than some other eyeshadows I have like Urban Decay. So when you blend the shadows out it seems like more shadow brushes off than should. And when you touch your brush gently to the palette a lot of powder goes flying around. I've used eyeshadow primer with the shadows and I still feel like it fades more than it should. But I might try using them with a creamy color base and see if that helps the color stay on better.

I like the gold luminizer. I don't have one that color so it is nice to have. The blush is pretty, but also powdery like the shadows. The lip glosses are also nice. One is mauvey nude which is a lip color I don't have and the red gloss is also pretty. They mix well together to get nice rosy shades in between.

So overall the texture of the shadows is not so bad that I don't still like the palette and use it because it has colors that don't seem to be in a lots of other palettes. Probably if I paid full price I'd be more disappointed. But I'm not sure I'd buy it again if I had to do it over.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Honestly, I felt that this palette was mediocre. The only thing I liked about it was the luminizer, which I plan to buy the the full size when I run out. The shadows were pretty and had soft pigmentation. But, once they were on my primed lids, they quickly faded. This happened to the matte and shimmer shades I used. I never had a high-end, pigemented eyeshadow fade on me that fast before. I'm talking about immediately fading. I used different primers and white bases and nothing worked. Maybe its just me. I did also swatch them on my wrist and then lightly rubbed them. Like my other shadows in my collection, once rubbed, the color fades a bit but you can still see them on my skin, kind of like a staining effect. With theBalm shadows, they immediately rubbed off. I like the packaging and overall theme was cute, and that is what I like about theBalm. Unfortunatly, this palette was quite a disappointment.

on 6/10/2014 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I've been using this palette on and off for about 4 months, and I think it's good because I can give a truly honest and thoughtful review rather than an "OMG I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS HYPE HYPE HYPE" and just have an opinion which is shadowed by my expectations for the product.

Now, moving on:

I gave this palette 4/5 lippies - why? there are pros and cons of it..:

PROS:
- Good range of matte/shimmer/glitter shadows - I absolutely love that there are neutral blending shades but also exciting bright colours in one palette. Something that many other palettes lack
- Versatility and uniqueness of colours - although the colours in this palette could be considered 'boring' when you look at it, they are EXTREMELY versatile and can be worn with many different looks. eg. I can create a simple everyday look with the neutral mattes (Adagio (eggshell), Allegro (cool-taupey brown), Presto (a dark-cool brown)), a subtle yet statement eye using rem and moderato, and even an evening look using The Stroke (midnight blue)
- Lip-area sealed/protected and seperate from eyeshadows
- Well-thought out names and selection of colours. Bravo, TheBalm, you've really hit the nail on the head for this one. Super creative and fun.

And last but not least, I am absolutely shellshocked about the included luminizer (Solid Gold - which is very similar to TheBalm's MaryLoumanizer - a cult favourite) and blush ("Don't you want me" - which is almost the exact same as TheBalm's Down Boy blush) in the palette - you basically get a free mini-size of these two TheBalm products, which are, by the way, very pigmented and buttery soft - with this amazingly priced palette.
- VALUE FOR MONEY

CONS:
- Some colours show up great in swatches, however look a bit dull on the eyelids. To be honest I think this may be because I'm not using a base. Will report back.
- Some depth of colour is lost in application - eg. the shadow "rem" was very interesting and appeared in the pan however disappointing when used on the skin, however it could be because I have NC35 skin, which is relatively dark, and perhaps it may work better on lighter skin tones.

In conclusion, I would definitely repurchase - but not before trying the Balm Voyage palette first :)

on 4/17/2014 11:14:00 AM

I really like this palette, the eyeshadows are very pretty and pigmented, and I think that it is quite versatile. Even though it's not meant for it, you can still do some neutral looks, but you can also do bolder look. The highlighter is basically the same than Mary-Lou Manizer, and the blush is great - I'm a big fan of Thebalm's blushes.
About the packaging, I think that it is very sleek, beautiful, original, and clever. I like the fact that the cream products are protected from the powder products. I think it's a very good palette for travelling. Overall I think it's a very nice palette, and it's worth its price.

on 4/14/2014 10:51:00 AM

I pined over this and the Balm Voyage palette for months. When they hit Hautelook, I was all over it! 6 weeks later, when I received my package I was sorely disappointed at the quality and wear of these eyeshadows. They are powdery and too sheer for my liking. The first day I wore them they creased and faded away.

I like the concept of the palette and the packaging design, but I'm just not a fan of theBalm's formula. I didn't like Balm Voyage or Nude 'Tude either.

Popular Palettes