October 31, 2014 | 1560 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE everything about this palette! All the colors are great, plus I really enjoy all the clever names and color categories. TheBalm is becoming one of my all-time favorite brands.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by suling2009

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this palette and am glad i have it especially for the price I paid. I got it from Hautelook for 50% off the normal price.The colors are versatile.You can get a nice variety of eyeshadow looks that are good for everyday but more interesting than just nude browns and taupes that are everywhere. The colors are really pigmented. They go on very strong. But the reason I don't like it as much as I thought I would is that they seem kind of powdery and chalky. They tend to wear off more easily than some other eyeshadows I have like Urban Decay. So when you blend the shadows out it seems like more shadow brushes off than should. And when you touch your brush gently to the palette a lot of powder goes flying around. I've used eyeshadow primer with the shadows and I still feel like it fades more than it should. But I might try using them with a creamy color base and see if that helps the color stay on better.

I like the gold luminizer. I don't have one that color so it is nice to have. The blush is pretty, but also powdery like the shadows. The lip glosses are also nice. One is mauvey nude which is a lip color I don't have and the red gloss is also pretty. They mix well together to get nice rosy shades in between.

So overall the texture of the shadows is not so bad that I don't still like the palette and use it because it has colors that don't seem to be in a lots of other palettes. Probably if I paid full price I'd be more disappointed. But I'm not sure I'd buy it again if I had to do it over.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by lateralus3450

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly, I felt that this palette was mediocre. The only thing I liked about it was the luminizer, which I plan to buy the the full size when I run out. The shadows were pretty and had soft pigmentation. But, once they were on my primed lids, they quickly faded. This happened to the matte and shimmer shades I used. I never had a high-end, pigemented eyeshadow fade on me that fast before. I'm talking about immediately fading. I used different primers and white bases and nothing worked. Maybe its just me. I did also swatch them on my wrist and then lightly rubbed them. Like my other shadows in my collection, once rubbed, the color fades a bit but you can still see them on my skin, kind of like a staining effect. With theBalm shadows, they immediately rubbed off. I like the packaging and overall theme was cute, and that is what I like about theBalm. Unfortunatly, this palette was quite a disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Vaporeon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this palette on and off for about 4 months, and I think it's good because I can give a truly honest and thoughtful review rather than an "OMG I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS HYPE HYPE HYPE" and just have an opinion which is shadowed by my expectations for the product.

Now, moving on:

I gave this palette 4/5 lippies - why? there are pros and cons of it..:

PROS:
- Good range of matte/shimmer/glitter shadows - I absolutely love that there are neutral blending shades but also exciting bright colours in one palette. Something that many other palettes lack
- Versatility and uniqueness of colours - although the colours in this palette could be considered 'boring' when you look at it, they are EXTREMELY versatile and can be worn with many different looks. eg. I can create a simple everyday look with the neutral mattes (Adagio (eggshell), Allegro (cool-taupey brown), Presto (a dark-cool brown)), a subtle yet statement eye using rem and moderato, and even an evening look using The Stroke (midnight blue)
- Lip-area sealed/protected and seperate from eyeshadows
- Well-thought out names and selection of colours. Bravo, TheBalm, you've really hit the nail on the head for this one. Super creative and fun.

And last but not least, I am absolutely shellshocked about the included luminizer (Solid Gold - which is very similar to TheBalm's MaryLoumanizer - a cult favourite) and blush ("Don't you want me" - which is almost the exact same as TheBalm's Down Boy blush) in the palette - you basically get a free mini-size of these two TheBalm products, which are, by the way, very pigmented and buttery soft - with this amazingly priced palette.
- VALUE FOR MONEY

CONS:
- Some colours show up great in swatches, however look a bit dull on the eyelids. To be honest I think this may be because I'm not using a base. Will report back.
- Some depth of colour is lost in application - eg. the shadow "rem" was very interesting and appeared in the pan however disappointing when used on the skin, however it could be because I have NC35 skin, which is relatively dark, and perhaps it may work better on lighter skin tones.

In conclusion, I would definitely repurchase - but not before trying the Balm Voyage palette first :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2014 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Tabatta

I really like this palette, the eyeshadows are very pretty and pigmented, and I think that it is quite versatile. Even though it's not meant for it, you can still do some neutral looks, but you can also do bolder look. The highlighter is basically the same than Mary-Lou Manizer, and the blush is great - I'm a big fan of Thebalm's blushes.
About the packaging, I think that it is very sleek, beautiful, original, and clever. I like the fact that the cream products are protected from the powder products. I think it's a very good palette for travelling. Overall I think it's a very nice palette, and it's worth its price.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I pined over this and the Balm Voyage palette for months. When they hit Hautelook, I was all over it! 6 weeks later, when I received my package I was sorely disappointed at the quality and wear of these eyeshadows. They are powdery and too sheer for my liking. The first day I wore them they creased and faded away.

I like the concept of the palette and the packaging design, but I'm just not a fan of theBalm's formula. I didn't like Balm Voyage or Nude 'Tude either.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

i have wanted this palette for a long time and was able to get it during theBalmm's 50% off sale. i think it's too much at regular price, but a good value at 50% off, even with added shipping cost.

i have to admit that now that i have it, i'm not as thrilled as i thought i would be. i think it's a very nice product for most people, but i have reservations about it if you're fair-skinned and of asian descent like me.

the eyeshadows are nice, but i have only come up with 2 looks that i like. and those 2 looks are similar to what i was doing before with l'oreal hip duo in 50 electrified or similar looks: metallic silver/taupe/gold on eyelid, purple or brown in outer corner and outer "crease," and W&W Brulee to blend out and as brow highlight. I think that my Asian eye features really limit the kind of looks I can rock without looking ridiculously unnatural, so i just don't think i'll be using most of the eyeshadow colors.

also, the highlighter doesn't show up on me. the blush is very pigmented and flies all over the place if my brush barely touches it. it is peachy-pink, but i prefer cool pink blushes with no hints of peach or warmth. and i have not touched and probably never will use the cream lip products. i just usually never have time to find a lip brush and i can't imagine dabbing at that stuff with my finger and trying to smear it on my lips and get enought color. i like very pigmented, opaque, glossy lip color, usually in berries or blue-red (to offset how i can't do much color around my eyes).

i had to buy this because i thought it would be so fantastic but unfortunately i don't really love it or use it very much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

TheBalm is fast becoming one of my favourite brands. London Drugs was having a 30% off deal for TheBalm products so yeah, I thought why not.

I fell in love with theBalm first with the Nude Tude and them with their cream shadows. I would love to try more of their products in the future for sure. The pigmentation is full on for all the shades, excluding the cheek/lip products.

Metal-ica: pure white; metallic.
Iron Maid-in:soft gold; frost.
Lead Zeppelin: olive green with gold and lime sparkles.
Alice Copper: deep burgundy; pearl.
Adagio: fleshy beige; matte.
Allegro: medium cool brown; matte.
Moderato: blackened plum; matte.
Presto: dark taupey brown; matte.
Blink 1982: mauvey brown; glitter.
The Stroke: navy with blue sparkles.
rem: smokey lavender with gold/brown overtone.
Third Eye Blinded: pale dusky pink; shimmer.

Luminizer: pale champagne gold; frost.
Blush/shadow: medium dirty peach; satin
Milly: neutral rose.
Vanilly: cherry red.

I love that there are four mattes for blending or definition. All of the shadows blend easily and they are so buttery. Stays on for hours with a proper primer. The cream lip/cheek things are sheer and don't stay on for super well. It feels too tacky for my lips but I don't have a problem with them on my cheeks too much. The highlighter is gorgeous, and looks similar to Mary-Louminizer just from looking.

My standout shades are Lead Zeppelin, Alice Copper, Moderato, The Stroke and rem.
It would be my go-to travel palette if it came with a bronzer . . . .

It's so fun and definitely worth the money <3

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by crystaldw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I luv this palette,I use this one almost everyday& it's got everything but the foundation & mascara for light packing. Nice pigmentation, most are very nice buttery.like this better then the naked palette.even tho some are sparkly, they are in a tasteful way for those of us who aren't 20 yr old anymore.altho I still like the naked palette the shimmer&glitter is a bit too much sometimes.my go to for that reason altho my fav colors..lead zepplin a kaki green gold with speks of goldish glitter, alice copper, a coppery red metalic with a hint of sparkle&Metal-ica, a silver metalic (great for inner corners&lightly dusted as highlight in sum areas) are my top 3 favs but the glitter isnt "hey look at me"..the other shades work very well for daylooks even if u add these everything is still day apropriate as long as u don't go super heavy. don't care for the light lip/cheek cream, makes me look dead when I use it on my lips & don't show up on my cheeks well.but the red looks nice on both the cheeks&lips.luv the gold highlighter.not my absolute favorite but I still like it alot.i hope I can find this again as I'd like to have 2 even 3 just for the eyeshadows&trips

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 8:32:00 AM More reviews by mderyaozel

I admit that i just bought this one for the packaging, but it turned out to be awesome. The shades are very pigmented, and there is not one shade in the palette that i think i would never use. Also it's perfect for travel.