December 18, 2014 | 1638 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2014 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Ambrielle15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Such a versatile palette! I love all the buttery smooth shadows--they're very pigmented, and the highlighter (Mary Lou-manizer) is amazing, so is the blush (Frat Boy). The two lip/cheek colors are great too. I use them more as cheek colors, and they blend beautifully into the skin, giving very natural color. Also, I just can't get over all the clever names! This palette is a must for anyone who travels a lot, but doesn't want to carry a bunch of individual products. :D

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2014 5:50:00 AM More reviews by fecktopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my favourite palette of all time, which is huge coming from a palette junkie who never picks favourites from her babies! Let me tell you why:

* it's super portable. I travel a lot and this is all I need for a full face. Instead of toting around a huge bag I just pop this in my handbag with concealer, foundation and mascara. These shadows are so buttery and pigmented you can live without primer, though of course the excel further with it. Allegro doubles as contour.

* I need diversity in a palette which is something becoming rare in this age of neutral loving. There is not one product or shade in this baby that is not awesome on my neutral NC25 skin. Seriously I am a tough critic and to have everything in one palette be wearable and flattering is the stuff unicorns are made of.

*The shadows are up there with Lorac in terms of pigment and texture, and are way better and more consistent than UD. Sometimes thebalm can turn out a dud shadow, but none of that here. All super pretty and functional. Whether you want neutral, smokey, Rockstar, colour pop, halo, whatever - you can do it with these 12 superb shadows.

* I'm told Disco ball is the iconic Mary loumanizer. Either way, I need this in my life. It's an HG highlighter that I use every day, even if I don't touch the shadows. Use lots or a little, depending on mood or look. It's brilliant, literally!

* The blush is pinker than I usually go for but it works surprisingly well. Go light handed for sheer as the pigment is strong and bold. Doubles as a shadow.

* The creams are actually gorgeous. I usually skip over these in palettes but these two are highly functional on both lips and cheeks. They are even complimentary used together in the same look, with milly on cheeks and vanilly on lips (or vice versa). You can even blend/layer for more colours.

* Packaging is nothing less than the fabulously clever and cute we expect from theBalm. Cardboard is sturdy, magnet is strong, powders and creams separated. Everything about this is pretty and functional. The shade names are witty and all in theme.

I didn't think I needed this as I had just bought balm voyage (I'm a frequent traveler) and I have so many travel palettes like lancome, dior, ysl, Estee Lauder, and of course a whole bunch of eyeshadow only palettes. Unfortunately Balm Jovi retails for about $60-70 in the Philippines and this is so great I wouldn't hesitate to drop that kind of money again if I had to, but luckily they can be found cheaper online. In fact I might need to repurchase soon given the use I'm getting. It's been 2 months of daily use and I think it will take 6 months to see pan on anything. But I can't live without it. All my other expensive HE palettes are collecting dust as this one is never far from my side.

So much love to theBalm for making a perfect palette! You have made my life easier, my use of pigments more creative, and my luggage lighter. Bravo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE everything about this palette! All the colors are great, plus I really enjoy all the clever names and color categories. TheBalm is becoming one of my all-time favorite brands.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by suling2009

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this palette and am glad i have it especially for the price I paid. I got it from Hautelook for 50% off the normal price.The colors are versatile.You can get a nice variety of eyeshadow looks that are good for everyday but more interesting than just nude browns and taupes that are everywhere. The colors are really pigmented. They go on very strong. But the reason I don't like it as much as I thought I would is that they seem kind of powdery and chalky. They tend to wear off more easily than some other eyeshadows I have like Urban Decay. So when you blend the shadows out it seems like more shadow brushes off than should. And when you touch your brush gently to the palette a lot of powder goes flying around. I've used eyeshadow primer with the shadows and I still feel like it fades more than it should. But I might try using them with a creamy color base and see if that helps the color stay on better.

I like the gold luminizer. I don't have one that color so it is nice to have. The blush is pretty, but also powdery like the shadows. The lip glosses are also nice. One is mauvey nude which is a lip color I don't have and the red gloss is also pretty. They mix well together to get nice rosy shades in between.

So overall the texture of the shadows is not so bad that I don't still like the palette and use it because it has colors that don't seem to be in a lots of other palettes. Probably if I paid full price I'd be more disappointed. But I'm not sure I'd buy it again if I had to do it over.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by lateralus3450

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly, I felt that this palette was mediocre. The only thing I liked about it was the luminizer, which I plan to buy the the full size when I run out. The shadows were pretty and had soft pigmentation. But, once they were on my primed lids, they quickly faded. This happened to the matte and shimmer shades I used. I never had a high-end, pigemented eyeshadow fade on me that fast before. I'm talking about immediately fading. I used different primers and white bases and nothing worked. Maybe its just me. I did also swatch them on my wrist and then lightly rubbed them. Like my other shadows in my collection, once rubbed, the color fades a bit but you can still see them on my skin, kind of like a staining effect. With theBalm shadows, they immediately rubbed off. I like the packaging and overall theme was cute, and that is what I like about theBalm. Unfortunatly, this palette was quite a disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Vaporeon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this palette on and off for about 4 months, and I think it's good because I can give a truly honest and thoughtful review rather than an "OMG I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS HYPE HYPE HYPE" and just have an opinion which is shadowed by my expectations for the product.

Now, moving on:

I gave this palette 4/5 lippies - why? there are pros and cons of it..:

PROS:
- Good range of matte/shimmer/glitter shadows - I absolutely love that there are neutral blending shades but also exciting bright colours in one palette. Something that many other palettes lack
- Versatility and uniqueness of colours - although the colours in this palette could be considered 'boring' when you look at it, they are EXTREMELY versatile and can be worn with many different looks. eg. I can create a simple everyday look with the neutral mattes (Adagio (eggshell), Allegro (cool-taupey brown), Presto (a dark-cool brown)), a subtle yet statement eye using rem and moderato, and even an evening look using The Stroke (midnight blue)
- Lip-area sealed/protected and seperate from eyeshadows
- Well-thought out names and selection of colours. Bravo, TheBalm, you've really hit the nail on the head for this one. Super creative and fun.

And last but not least, I am absolutely shellshocked about the included luminizer (Solid Gold - which is very similar to TheBalm's MaryLoumanizer - a cult favourite) and blush ("Don't you want me" - which is almost the exact same as TheBalm's Down Boy blush) in the palette - you basically get a free mini-size of these two TheBalm products, which are, by the way, very pigmented and buttery soft - with this amazingly priced palette.
- VALUE FOR MONEY

CONS:
- Some colours show up great in swatches, however look a bit dull on the eyelids. To be honest I think this may be because I'm not using a base. Will report back.
- Some depth of colour is lost in application - eg. the shadow "rem" was very interesting and appeared in the pan however disappointing when used on the skin, however it could be because I have NC35 skin, which is relatively dark, and perhaps it may work better on lighter skin tones.

In conclusion, I would definitely repurchase - but not before trying the Balm Voyage palette first :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2014 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Tabatta

I really like this palette, the eyeshadows are very pretty and pigmented, and I think that it is quite versatile. Even though it's not meant for it, you can still do some neutral looks, but you can also do bolder look. The highlighter is basically the same than Mary-Lou Manizer, and the blush is great - I'm a big fan of Thebalm's blushes.
About the packaging, I think that it is very sleek, beautiful, original, and clever. I like the fact that the cream products are protected from the powder products. I think it's a very good palette for travelling. Overall I think it's a very nice palette, and it's worth its price.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I pined over this and the Balm Voyage palette for months. When they hit Hautelook, I was all over it! 6 weeks later, when I received my package I was sorely disappointed at the quality and wear of these eyeshadows. They are powdery and too sheer for my liking. The first day I wore them they creased and faded away.

I like the concept of the palette and the packaging design, but I'm just not a fan of theBalm's formula. I didn't like Balm Voyage or Nude 'Tude either.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

i have wanted this palette for a long time and was able to get it during theBalmm's 50% off sale. i think it's too much at regular price, but a good value at 50% off, even with added shipping cost.

i have to admit that now that i have it, i'm not as thrilled as i thought i would be. i think it's a very nice product for most people, but i have reservations about it if you're fair-skinned and of asian descent like me.

the eyeshadows are nice, but i have only come up with 2 looks that i like. and those 2 looks are similar to what i was doing before with l'oreal hip duo in 50 electrified or similar looks: metallic silver/taupe/gold on eyelid, purple or brown in outer corner and outer "crease," and W&W Brulee to blend out and as brow highlight. I think that my Asian eye features really limit the kind of looks I can rock without looking ridiculously unnatural, so i just don't think i'll be using most of the eyeshadow colors.

also, the highlighter doesn't show up on me. the blush is very pigmented and flies all over the place if my brush barely touches it. it is peachy-pink, but i prefer cool pink blushes with no hints of peach or warmth. and i have not touched and probably never will use the cream lip products. i just usually never have time to find a lip brush and i can't imagine dabbing at that stuff with my finger and trying to smear it on my lips and get enought color. i like very pigmented, opaque, glossy lip color, usually in berries or blue-red (to offset how i can't do much color around my eyes).

i had to buy this because i thought it would be so fantastic but unfortunately i don't really love it or use it very much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

TheBalm is fast becoming one of my favourite brands. London Drugs was having a 30% off deal for TheBalm products so yeah, I thought why not.

I fell in love with theBalm first with the Nude Tude and them with their cream shadows. I would love to try more of their products in the future for sure. The pigmentation is full on for all the shades, excluding the cheek/lip products.

Metal-ica: pure white; metallic.
Iron Maid-in:soft gold; frost.
Lead Zeppelin: olive green with gold and lime sparkles.
Alice Copper: deep burgundy; pearl.
Adagio: fleshy beige; matte.
Allegro: medium cool brown; matte.
Moderato: blackened plum; matte.
Presto: dark taupey brown; matte.
Blink 1982: mauvey brown; glitter.
The Stroke: navy with blue sparkles.
rem: smokey lavender with gold/brown overtone.
Third Eye Blinded: pale dusky pink; shimmer.

Luminizer: pale champagne gold; frost.
Blush/shadow: medium dirty peach; satin
Milly: neutral rose.
Vanilly: cherry red.

I love that there are four mattes for blending or definition. All of the shadows blend easily and they are so buttery. Stays on for hours with a proper primer. The cream lip/cheek things are sheer and don't stay on for super well. It feels too tacky for my lips but I don't have a problem with them on my cheeks too much. The highlighter is gorgeous, and looks similar to Mary-Louminizer just from looking.

My standout shades are Lead Zeppelin, Alice Copper, Moderato, The Stroke and rem.
It would be my go-to travel palette if it came with a bronzer . . . .

It's so fun and definitely worth the money <3