July 30, 2014 | 2066 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - Balm Jovi Rockstar Face Palette

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by lateralus3450

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly, I felt that this palette was mediocre. The only thing I liked about it was the luminizer, which I plan to buy the the full size when I run out. The shadows were pretty and had soft pigmentation. But, once they were on my primed lids, they quickly faded. This happened to the matte and shimmer shades I used. I never had a high-end, pigemented eyeshadow fade on me that fast before. I'm talking about immediately fading. I used different primers and white bases and nothing worked. Maybe its just me. I did also swatch them on my wrist and then lightly rubbed them. Like my other shadows in my collection, once rubbed, the color fades a bit but you can still see them on my skin, kind of like a staining effect. With theBalm shadows, they immediately rubbed off. I like the packaging and overall theme was cute, and that is what I like about theBalm. Unfortunatly, this palette was quite a disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Vaporeon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this palette on and off for about 4 months, and I think it's good because I can give a truly honest and thoughtful review rather than an "OMG I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS HYPE HYPE HYPE" and just have an opinion which is shadowed by my expectations for the product.

Now, moving on:

I gave this palette 4/5 lippies - why? there are pros and cons of it..:

PROS:
- Good range of matte/shimmer/glitter shadows - I absolutely love that there are neutral blending shades but also exciting bright colours in one palette. Something that many other palettes lack
- Versatility and uniqueness of colours - although the colours in this palette could be considered 'boring' when you look at it, they are EXTREMELY versatile and can be worn with many different looks. eg. I can create a simple everyday look with the neutral mattes (Adagio (eggshell), Allegro (cool-taupey brown), Presto (a dark-cool brown)), a subtle yet statement eye using rem and moderato, and even an evening look using The Stroke (midnight blue)
- Lip-area sealed/protected and seperate from eyeshadows
- Well-thought out names and selection of colours. Bravo, TheBalm, you've really hit the nail on the head for this one. Super creative and fun.

And last but not least, I am absolutely shellshocked about the included luminizer (Solid Gold - which is very similar to TheBalm's MaryLoumanizer - a cult favourite) and blush ("Don't you want me" - which is almost the exact same as TheBalm's Down Boy blush) in the palette - you basically get a free mini-size of these two TheBalm products, which are, by the way, very pigmented and buttery soft - with this amazingly priced palette.
- VALUE FOR MONEY

CONS:
- Some colours show up great in swatches, however look a bit dull on the eyelids. To be honest I think this may be because I'm not using a base. Will report back.
- Some depth of colour is lost in application - eg. the shadow "rem" was very interesting and appeared in the pan however disappointing when used on the skin, however it could be because I have NC35 skin, which is relatively dark, and perhaps it may work better on lighter skin tones.

In conclusion, I would definitely repurchase - but not before trying the Balm Voyage palette first :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2014 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Tabatta

I really like this palette, the eyeshadows are very pretty and pigmented, and I think that it is quite versatile. Even though it's not meant for it, you can still do some neutral looks, but you can also do bolder look. The highlighter is basically the same than Mary-Lou Manizer, and the blush is great - I'm a big fan of Thebalm's blushes.
About the packaging, I think that it is very sleek, beautiful, original, and clever. I like the fact that the cream products are protected from the powder products. I think it's a very good palette for travelling. Overall I think it's a very nice palette, and it's worth its price.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I pined over this and the Balm Voyage palette for months. When they hit Hautelook, I was all over it! 6 weeks later, when I received my package I was sorely disappointed at the quality and wear of these eyeshadows. They are powdery and too sheer for my liking. The first day I wore them they creased and faded away.

I like the concept of the palette and the packaging design, but I'm just not a fan of theBalm's formula. I didn't like Balm Voyage or Nude 'Tude either.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

i have wanted this palette for a long time and was able to get it during theBalmm's 50% off sale. i think it's too much at regular price, but a good value at 50% off, even with added shipping cost.

i have to admit that now that i have it, i'm not as thrilled as i thought i would be. i think it's a very nice product for most people, but i have reservations about it if you're fair-skinned and of asian descent like me.

the eyeshadows are nice, but i have only come up with 2 looks that i like. and those 2 looks are similar to what i was doing before with l'oreal hip duo in 50 electrified or similar looks: metallic silver/taupe/gold on eyelid, purple or brown in outer corner and outer "crease," and W&W Brulee to blend out and as brow highlight. I think that my Asian eye features really limit the kind of looks I can rock without looking ridiculously unnatural, so i just don't think i'll be using most of the eyeshadow colors.

also, the highlighter doesn't show up on me. the blush is very pigmented and flies all over the place if my brush barely touches it. it is peachy-pink, but i prefer cool pink blushes with no hints of peach or warmth. and i have not touched and probably never will use the cream lip products. i just usually never have time to find a lip brush and i can't imagine dabbing at that stuff with my finger and trying to smear it on my lips and get enought color. i like very pigmented, opaque, glossy lip color, usually in berries or blue-red (to offset how i can't do much color around my eyes).

i had to buy this because i thought it would be so fantastic but unfortunately i don't really love it or use it very much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

TheBalm is fast becoming one of my favourite brands. London Drugs was having a 30% off deal for TheBalm products so yeah, I thought why not.

I fell in love with theBalm first with the Nude Tude and them with their cream shadows. I would love to try more of their products in the future for sure. The pigmentation is full on for all the shades, excluding the cheek/lip products.

Metal-ica: pure white; metallic.
Iron Maid-in:soft gold; frost.
Lead Zeppelin: olive green with gold and lime sparkles.
Alice Copper: deep burgundy; pearl.
Adagio: fleshy beige; matte.
Allegro: medium cool brown; matte.
Moderato: blackened plum; matte.
Presto: dark taupey brown; matte.
Blink 1982: mauvey brown; glitter.
The Stroke: navy with blue sparkles.
rem: smokey lavender with gold/brown overtone.
Third Eye Blinded: pale dusky pink; shimmer.

Luminizer: pale champagne gold; frost.
Blush/shadow: medium dirty peach; satin
Milly: neutral rose.
Vanilly: cherry red.

I love that there are four mattes for blending or definition. All of the shadows blend easily and they are so buttery. Stays on for hours with a proper primer. The cream lip/cheek things are sheer and don't stay on for super well. It feels too tacky for my lips but I don't have a problem with them on my cheeks too much. The highlighter is gorgeous, and looks similar to Mary-Louminizer just from looking.

My standout shades are Lead Zeppelin, Alice Copper, Moderato, The Stroke and rem.
It would be my go-to travel palette if it came with a bronzer . . . .

It's so fun and definitely worth the money <3

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by crystaldw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I luv this palette,I use this one almost everyday& it's got everything but the foundation & mascara for light packing. Nice pigmentation, most are very nice buttery.like this better then the naked palette.even tho some are sparkly, they are in a tasteful way for those of us who aren't 20 yr old anymore.altho I still like the naked palette the shimmer&glitter is a bit too much sometimes.my go to for that reason altho my fav colors..lead zepplin a kaki green gold with speks of goldish glitter, alice copper, a coppery red metalic with a hint of sparkle&Metal-ica, a silver metalic (great for inner corners&lightly dusted as highlight in sum areas) are my top 3 favs but the glitter isnt "hey look at me"..the other shades work very well for daylooks even if u add these everything is still day apropriate as long as u don't go super heavy. don't care for the light lip/cheek cream, makes me look dead when I use it on my lips & don't show up on my cheeks well.but the red looks nice on both the cheeks&lips.luv the gold highlighter.not my absolute favorite but I still like it alot.i hope I can find this again as I'd like to have 2 even 3 just for the eyeshadows&trips

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 8:32:00 AM More reviews by mderyaozel

I admit that i just bought this one for the packaging, but it turned out to be awesome. The shades are very pigmented, and there is not one shade in the palette that i think i would never use. Also it's perfect for travel.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2013 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Xochipilli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really love this palette! It is very versatile, there are matte, satin and shimmery shadows. I absolutely love the highlight and blush. I even got it at a great price, 40% off last Cyber Monday. My only issue with this is the fall out. :( There is definitely fall out and even though the 2 cream colors have a flap over them, every time I open it up, there is powder all over them. But despite that, I would repurchase in a heart beat if/when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Alicia411

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This palette is just awesome.
Of course what drew me to it first was the super cute packaging. Then the playful name "Balm Jovi", and I loved the names of the shades (Lead Zeppelin, Blink 1982, Metal-ica, Alice Copper..etc.). Of course though to get 5 lippies, it will take more than cute packaging, and a clever name to impress us. The quality is wonderful, these shadows are so buttery, soft, and just seem to glide on, I honestly look forward to putting my make up on using this palette. The pigmentation is also great, you only need a little bit which means these shadows will last forever (and are good value). Staying power is also there, even without an eyelid primer it seems to last about 8 hours for me. I really loved the variety in shades, the shimmers, the satins, the mattes, the neutrals, and the bolder colors. The luminizer appears to be identical to Mary Lou Manizer, and the warm toned peach blush appears to be the twin of Fratboy blusher. Both also have excellent pigmentation and staying power. The lippies that come in this palette are practical, contain both a nude color and a red, that can be very sheer or built up to an opaque color. A nice plus is that there is a separate cover for the lippies, so you don't have to worry about fallout mucking them up. This is yet another palette TheBalm has left me very happy with :)