August 22, 2014 | 1729 users online

Fragrances - Nicole by Nicole Richie

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by Ultraviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Walked into a TJ Maxx and saw two bottles of this on the shelf. Given that I adored her body wash, I figured I'd try another product in her line. Purchased both in case I was smitten with the fragrance.

As a caveat, I was wearing Thierry Mugler Les Parfums de Cuir when I sprayed Nicole on my upper elbows...so while the difference is striking, both scents are at least in the same zip code. Granted, one is in a high-rise penthouse on the lake, and one is in a loft in a hipster district, but it only takes a decade for the latter to become the former, no?

Which is why Nicole struck me as being for the older teen to early 20s set. There's enough mystery here to entice them to enjoy the parfums their mothers and grandmothers wore to death, but won't alienate their current fratish audience.

Nicole opens a bit on the plasticine, a mix of ultra-synthetic versions of Pink Sugar, Flowerbomb, and something which winked at Coco Mademoiselle but turned away before she came out in full force. It settles into a saccharin patchouli/jasmine blend, but that sharp note of...not even sure...grapefruit/iris/sandalwood?...is a bit jarring as it doesn't dry down until the scent has faded almost entirely. And the powdery leather/suede which was seemingly thrown in as an afterthought? Isn't potent enough to tie the notes together.

For celebrity fragrances, this is a welcome break from the accessible scents which all end up smelling exactly the same. I see where Nicole was going, and I'm looking forward to trying other creations from Ms. Richie--as it seems like she has a mature, decadent nose. But perhaps she's stuck in that realm of catering to a specific audience which usually wouldn't appreciate mature decadence?

Good on her for trying (the bottles paid for themselves--they're adorable nods to '30s/'40s art deco). I'm sure this will make a great hair mist, or a scent to wear to the gym/grocer.

Will likely return the extra bottle and leave a note: "Hi lovely. You know how your feminine elders could stop men dead in their tracks, without expressing a word? This is kinda close to what they wore. Somewhat. Keep walking toward the light."

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2014 3:25:00 AM More reviews by balenciaga

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh my God. This confirms for me that Fragrantica is a place where they only publish positive reviews, giving an utterly false general opinion on frangrances. If you listened to them, you'd think this was a patchouli, amber, papyrus masterpiece. What it actually is is a cheap and nasty Angel with overwhelming berry tones. Ugh, ugh, ugh. I rarely scrub perfumes off, but I scrubbed this one with everything I could (and I can still smell it). Nice box though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh what a bottle!!! To me it looks like the bottom /base of the Eiffel tower. It does have a soft patchouli. It's well blended. I like patchouli but not when it's really offensive and cloying. It stays close to skin. When I finish mine and would re purchase, even through internet. I do have to say that because the middle of the base rises up, you could encounter difficulty spraying, but I don't care because it smells seriously feminine

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 8:34:00 AM More reviews by nunyabiness

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Update: I'm changing this to "yes" I would repurchase because i would buy this as a gift, and I don't want to give it a lower rating just because I don't like musk or patchouli.

This is a really nice fragrance. But there is something a little off-putting in it to me, because I dislike some of the notes. I find that after about 5 minutes I like this better,

I'm not clear yet on what notes I dislike, but I'm pretty sure it's patchouli. I can also smell some vanilla. This is a nice winter fragrance to add in for a little variety.

If you do like patchouli you should try this relatively unknown perfume. It's not overwhelming with any one scent...all the scents blend together well. It's very well balanced, and smells better than very expensive perfumes I've tried at Nordstrom.

I like the bottle-it's different-but I don't like the cap, which is plastic and feels cheap,

Overall, it's a nice perfume that you can find cheap at Ross or other similar stores (maybe Marshalls & TJ Maxx.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2014 10:00:00 AM More reviews by Kellergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is amazing! I purchased this for an amazing price, and it was a blind buy, and I am not disappointed! I am not good at picking out notes in perfumes. But this is so rich and spicy. It is wonderful! She certainly hit the mark on this one. And it lasts a long time. I smelled it hours after I out it on. Love the bottle too! A winner!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 6:24:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Opening notes of Nicole bring to mind the snapping open of a ripe peach, fresh from a market stand. You break it in half, the pit still in place, and inhale the juicy fruit in all its' delicious ripeness. Nothing synthetic, pure freshness, you can almost feel the juice dripping. Add fresh-churned vanilla ice cream, the kind you get from dairy farms in the country. Vanilla ice cream that has a fresh flavor and aroma to it unlike no other because it was just churned today with fresh milk from dairy cows. Now add the sweet patchouli. And this is a sweet, mellow you can eat patchouli.
Nicole wears very lightly unless you layer it or use a moisturizing trick to get the fragrance to last longer. I use a very sheer veil of vaseline first on my skin, then spray the perfume. Any perfume I have that doesn't have good longevity suddenly lasts for hours on me.
I really love this scent. It's full-bodied, creamy, rich with its ambery, spicy feel. Not too fruity at all, the peach is more of a rum type or a boozy impression.
The bottle is what drew me in, tho. It reminds me of the Eiffel Tower. It sits neatly in my hand, easy to spray and is art deco and just pretty to display.
I love wearing this now during the winter-watching the snow fall and hearing the winds blow. Its notes are warm, sensual and comforting. I do wish it lasted longer, but todays perfumes unfortunately do not, it seems. But, taking into consideration how wonderful the opening is, and how to make it last, Nicole really is nice.
Top Notes: Blackberry, Orange.
Middle Notes: Rose, Papyrus, Amber, Lily-Of-The-Valley.
Base Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla Absolute, Cashmere Wood.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by WenzdayB

I love this. So much. I bought this because when I go to stores I always have to look at the perfume section. I love to have a couple bottles of summer perfume and a couple for winter.

I have a friend that wears the sent Hana Mori. And I love it on her so much but I could never bring myself to by a bottle because it was when I was fifteen. Now I'm twenty and I haven't. Thought about the sent much. When I bought this for twenty dollars and went home to try it I fell in love. It reminds me so much of that smell that I loved so much.
This perfume is rich and comfy and warm and it makes me smell so marvelous. I get so many compliments when I wear this. People always want to know what I am wearing.
It is a richer wood smell so I would wear it in the winter time. It is fabulous

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by EmRose6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Nicole by Nicole Richie is a hidden gem. I snagged a 1.7 oz bottle at Marshall's for $14.99. I remember seeing this in Macy's/Nordstroms when it first came out for full price. However, after searching on their websites, both no longer carry this fragrance. This was a blind buy and it is absolutely lovely. The art deco style bottle is beautiful and seems like something out of The Great Gatsby - although, it can be a bit tricky while figuring out how to hold the bottle. The top notes I smell are sweet, creamy and slightly fruity. While I can't really pick out individual notes, the entire fragrance reminds me of 3 fragrances, respectively. The top sweet notes remind me of a lighter version of Jessica Simpson's Fancy. The middle, more woody/floral notes remind me of Miss Dior Cherie. The drydown is all Lilly of the Valley on my skin and reminds me of a light version of Narisco Rodriguez for her. This is perfect for the cooler weather, and smells so warm, earthy, sweet (not overly so) and fresh. The florals in the dry down seem like more of a coming of age perfume for my 20 year old self. It's so light (but not too light) comforting and warm. If you see a bottle I don't think you have much to lose!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by sillage

Good job, Nicole! What a wonderful scent - I love it!

Nicole EDP by Nicole Richie first came to my attention when she appeared on the Kelly & Michael daytime TV show, and the hosts both raved about how good she smelled and asked what she was wearing -- which she said was Nicole (of course). It might have been an advertising ploy, but Kelly & Michael both seemed to sincerely love the scent, and their reactions seemed spontaneous. So I had to seek out this perfume and test it. I wound up buying a discounted gift set, and it was SO worth it!

Wow, this is one of the best celebrity scents ever, IMHO -- this is pretty awesome -- I really love it. It's light, sweet, spicy, & earthy -- all at the same time. Definitely light & sweet, but there's papyrus, amber, sandalwood, & patchouli too -- none of which are annoying in any way -- and are very well balanced against the sweetness. It contains noticable vanilla, my favorite note.

All notes are blended very evenly & nicely, and the end result is a light sweet-spicy oriental. The scent reminds me of a lighter version of Vince Camuto, or Snake Oil (a perfume oil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, aka BPAL).

Here are the notes from Fragrantica.com: "The composition opens with aromas of juicy blackberries and oranges from Seville, which are followed by golden amber, Moroccan rose, lily of the valley and papyrus, layered over the base of cashmere, sandalwood, sugared patchouli and vanilla absolute."

Although a light scent, this EDP lasts very well -- several hours. The bottle is a really gorgeous cut glass art deco piece and looks elegant -- like the bottom of the Eiffel Tower -- however, it does take up a lot of space. I found a discounted gift set for only about $40 at Dillard, which included a 3.4oz EDP, roller ball, lotion & shower gel -- a very good deal for this beautiful scent, whch I'm afraid will be hard to find very soon. I was almost tempted to buy 2 sets!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by ls468

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This scent reminds me so much of Burberry Brit Red, when I spray one Red on one wrist and this (the edp) on the other, I find them indistinguishable until the dry down, upon which the Nicole scent lasts longer. If I had to guess I would say the notes in this are Vanilla and Rhubarb, maybe baked goods and some Benzoin... with my chemistry this is very fruity Gourmand. Not my cup of tea.