Diatomaceous Earth

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I read about this a few years back when I was in the depths of alternative medicine Internet. Ok so it contains a lot of silica I believe which is amazing for skin, nails, hair, joints, etc. My mom has crazy sensitive skin so she gets flares of rashes because of mites (we all have them, but only some are sensitive to them) whenever she touches dust, old clothes, etc. Well, I read that this was used to kill bugs (fleas, ticks, bedbugs) so I told her to try it. She dusted herself with it and like magic the flares stopped within 2 days. She also drank it. I could not stomach it unfortunately. ANYWAY. Info on this: there are 2 types of DE. One is food grade and safe for skin, hair, eating, etc. the other is not and should not be consumed by anyone. Also, this irritates eyes about as bad as sand does. Keep away from eyes! The food grade one is also used in dry grain storage to keep pests out. My family comes from a long line of farmers. It can also be used for getting rid of roaches or water bugs. I had a horrible experience with them when I moved into my fist apartment for college. Used some DE and boric acid powder sprinkled at every corner and they were gone in 2 weeks. Anyway, google it. It's realllllly worth it for a gazillion reasons. My favorite supplement of all the billion I have used.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really had no idea what category to put this under, but since it's a "loose powder" (with multiple uses), I thought it best here. I first heard of this on the Nail Board when someone mentioned it as a 'supplement' to help make nails stronger, and that's where the journey began. I googled it and found a ton of uses, from detoxifying your body to deworming pets to getting rid of bed bugs, just to name a few.
What is diatomaceous earth? It's the fossilized shells of microscopic one celled plants called 'diatoms'. It is literally 89% silica, which is an important trace mineral for human health.
Several of it's uses can be seen on this website (I am not affiliated, but this is where I ordered mine from).
www.earthworksde.com

I personally take 1 tbsp/day (or when I remember) in a glass of juice. It has not taste but it does settle so mix and drink quickly.

I've also personally seen it work for bed bugs and ants. It exfoliates off their waxy exterior causing them to dehydrate and die, naturally, so no harmful chemicals involved.

It can be used sprinkled over your toothpaste as a gentle cleanser. In fact it can be used as a fine scrub for shower/sink/counter top etc...

It can also be used as a facial scrub/mask. It both exfoliates and removes excess oil, which brings me to my next discovery. I'd been eyeing a mineral makeup product called "silica shells" on a mineral makeup website and it said it was very good for oil absorption. They always seemed to be out of stock, so I googled it to see what it was exactly and it's actually, diatomaceous earth! It actually works rather brilliantly to mattify the 'shinies. I put a little into a sifter jar and apply it with a brush to my T-zone. Out of curiosity, I did a search for it here, and what do I find? Many of Dr. Hauschka's powders contain it as well! Also, a Dermatologica scrub, Kiehls Micro Dermabrasion, Clinique Turnaround Mask...

So, go save yourself some pennies. Once you see all it can do, you won't want to be without. :)